Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Great news. I assume it'll just be a Tesco Express but it will provide some activity and passive surveillance to that section of street particularly in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll be a big Express, but the Metro branding for bigger-than-Express-smaller-than-normal is being ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Irish Times: "Dunnes must take steps to fit out its anchor store at Point Village, judge rules"

(Paywall alert)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dunnes-must-take-steps-to-fit-out-its-anchor-store-at-point-village-judge-rules-1.4688842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Does anybody know if the Eddie Rockets is re-opening or is it gone for good?

I see Ruby's and the Mason have survived the pandemic (so far), but there needs to be more food options in the area, especially with the massive increase in both office workers and residents in the next year .

Eddies is still on the list of retailers in various places on the shopping centre itself - Salad Box was removed. Its also still on Eddies site

The Beckett Locke is serving non-guests now but there's still limited capacity for sit down food particularly earlier in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Had a look on the Eddie Rocket's website, but it just says "closed" for every day under the opening times. I would have thought that, by now, if they hadn't already re-opened they would at least be announcing a date.

Haven't been to Beckett Locke before - do you know if it is any good? Just tried online, but everything on the website is about booking a room/apartment - can't find any info on the restaurant (opening times/menu etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Latest on Dunnes Stores Saga fom the Courts. Looks very much like Dunnes know they have no case but are prepared to spend money in order to drag out their eventual store opening in the Point Village. Summer 2022 looks a decent bet .

Dunnes gets stay on fitting out Point Village anchor store

Fit-out was originally due five years ago

about 20 hours ago

Mr Justice David Barniville earlier this month granted Point Village Development Ltd an order that the supermarket chain fit out a long-awaited anchor store in Dublin’s docklands. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill

Dunnes Stores has been given a limited stay on a High Court order that it fit out a long-awaited anchor store in the Point Village in Dublin’s docklands.

Five years after a deadline passed requiring Dunnes to fit it out, Mr Justice David Barniville earlier this month granted Point Village Development Ltd (PVD) an order that the supermarket chain do the work.

On Wednesday, Dunnes was granted a limited stay in relation to fit-out pending appeal of the High Court decision but refused a stay on the decision related to other technical and administrative requirements to preparing the store for opening.

Michael Collins SC, for PVD, urged Mr Justice Barniville not to grant a stay saying Dunnes had not identified any substantial grounds for an appeal.

Dunnes had run points bordering on the unarguable and they had delayed the process in a number of challenges and appeals over the years in their instructions to their lawyer, Martin Hayden SC, who with “his characteristic anarchic brilliance” had succeeded in delaying the project for 10 years, he said.

No arguable point of appeal had been identified and it would be entirely contrary to the justice of the case to grant a stay, he said.

Mr Hayden, in reply, thanked Mr Collins “for the promo and I will forward the bank draft in due course”. He disputed Mr Collins’s suggestion that Dunnes had lost in most of its cases and said “we are not ahead on numbers but not that far behind”.

Substantial costs

The costs of fitting out the store is substantial and there was fundamentally a disagreement on interpretation [of the contract with PVD] here which, while the High Court had emphatically rejected the Dunnes’ view, the appeal court may or may not say it is incorrect, he said.

Even if the court was not prepared to grant a stay on all the preparatory work, he asked there at least be a stay on the fit-out element.

Mr Justice Barniville said Dunnes is entitled to appeal and the appeal itself does not operate as a stay.

It was not immediately obvious what the grounds of appeal are but Dunnes are entitled to ventilate its arguments in the Court of Appeal where the judge expected the case would get an early hearing date.

He was prepared to grant a stay until the case comes before the Court of Appeal for directions on how the appeal should proceed. Arguments as to a further stay could be made before that court.

He also awarded the costs of the case to PVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Eddie rockers in point square was back open this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

Dunnes need to open having them open i'm sure it'll push others to invest in the area which is long over due

tesco also have their planning approved although not sure when fit out works will begin

• Advertisement

Fresh has also started fitout, but both it and the Spencer Dock Tesco unit are convenience stores with notions (of being posh and of being a full supermarket respectively)

Camile beside Centra is open now.

Thats great to have Camile open also i've some inside news from someone that works in Tesco customer service i asked about possible opening date for the new store they said they've been told fit out of the new store is due to begin in early 2022 with a spring 2022 opening date all going well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone calling Tesco a notions supermarket before 😂

Tesco Express has notions of being a supermarket. They're basically full price convenience stores with a loyalty card!

Grafton Barbers unit in Dublin Landings has the sign up and a November 2021 opening date on the window wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Owner of the Mulligan's Pharmacy chain was on Newstalk there saying they're opening in "the IFSC" in March after multiple COVID delays. I'm going to assume this is the remaining Macken House unit that has been earmarked for a pharmacy for years

The locational confusion can be assigned to how he said (jokingly) he doesn't even know where the M50 is!

Business Post two weeks ago confirmed Tesco have leased the Spencer Dock corner unit for 20 years. Think the barbers has finally opened near the Mayson.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ceebee1981

Anyone know what the story is with the protests outside the building site of the new Premier Inn on Upper Sheriff street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah. Some possible signs of life in it, there's a hard hat placed against a wall I don't remember seeing before!

Tesco seem to be only starting the fit out for their unit in Spencer Dock black bags gone up on the windows and planning permissions signs gone from the window, Fresh seem to have only begun also lads in the unit yesterday although not much done i'd say they are only there 2/3 weeks at best. The Samuel hotel also getting ready to open which will bring plenty of more life to the area for the summer season and also have more around the area in winter also. It is great to see the area come alive again.

You'd think with more hotels/apartments it would bring more high brand restaurants and shops into the shopping centre soon enough

Fresh fitout has been onsite for a few weeks.

The signs down there have the names of a hairdresser (dry and fly) and a coffee place up which haven't yet opened

The Hairdresser opening beside the barbers, coffee place think is apart of fresh while rumor has is it Starbucks may move into the glass box

Fresh usually have Insomnias inside them, but with a real Insomnia so close it could easily be some unbranded setup.

Hotel are advertising their bar as open to other local businesses but I've not been in to see. The other "new" hotel (Beckett Locke) now has signs outside its bar so they are looking for external business. Been too busy after work to try either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I went for a wander inside The Samuel and the bar/restaurant is in the basement ...not exactly inviting for an afternoon drink

• Advertisement

Tesco signs confirm it'll be an Express. Which means higher prices. Very big to be an Express, but the Metro branding is gone now

Advertisement