Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Depends on the individual and depends on the virus. Probably in the order of years.

I mentioned immune memory. Also protection from memory cells can wane over time. Just not very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is mask wearing not compulsory anymore here as I've seen a good few today without

• Registered Users Posts: 30,585 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In shops, schools, public transport, Dr's, hospitals, etc .

However not in pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, hospitality, etc.

However some people are trying to move away from them in other settings . There basically in people's pockets and will be put on if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

Freedom Day has finally landed in RTE. Not one mention of the C word on Morning Ireland. Neither has Claire Byrne mentioned it in her intro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Oh don’t worry, there’s always tomorrow! Hospitals down slightly this morning to 711.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I know. It's almost as if RTE just report on and discuss the biggest news stories on any particular day depending on their importance and relevance to the Irish people. Crazy concept alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If you believe that you'll believe anything. RTE, like other news providers, are influenced by ratings and hits. If you look at the RTE site in the morning, it's full of rubbish. Snow storms in America make RTE News for some reason.

If the fear of the virus is gone (and the drama) , then the public aren't going to listen to it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat Kenny talking about the freezing cold classrooms.

Why on earth are the windows still open? This is complete madness.

Can you remember those teachers who'd spend half the day nit picking about school uniforms, giving out if something was a bit wrong instead of teaching and watching out for bullying, etc.(Basically people who didn't want to be teachers and want everybody to be miserable.)

Those are the ones big into keeping windows open and masks at this stage.(IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'There will probably be a few of the regular anti-everything experts on here who will support his noble (and possibly fatal) stance.'

How could anyone support it with even knowing the reason? He may have a religious scruple if he is prepared to choose death.

That isn't something the average Irish person can understand or sympathise with.

Why sulk over something that you can't even begin to comprehend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Forgot to block independent sage members yesterday after I blocked all the other Irish numptys! Christ that Deepti wan has gone off the cliff edge altogether! All blocked now!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

"initially focus" - that means they're going to whitewash the Covid response post-mortem. (Nursing homes deaths discussion is unavoidable and so that'll be the token hard-hitting truth delivered.) 

Also this is an "expert" group which means they won't address operations. So no review of their engagement approach with govmt., media engagement strategy, shambolic IT systems, executive hiring and compensation, that recent headline about HSE hiring 2x senior managers than doctors last year, etc. Perhaps Minister Donnelly is going to task Paul 'I'm not a big reader' Reid with personally championing initiatives on all these - internally ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Pfizer's anti-viral pill has been authorised by the EMA. Fantastic news.

"EMA’s human medicines committee (CHMP) has recommended granting a conditional marketing authorisation for the oral antiviral medicine Paxlovid (PF-07321332 / ritonavir) for the treatment of COVID-19. The applicant is Pfizer Europe MA EEIG.

The Committee recommended authorising Paxlovid for treating COVID-19 in adults who do not require supplemental oxygen and who are at increased risk of the disease becoming severe.

Paxlovid is the first antiviral medicine to be given by mouth that is recommended in the EU for treating COVID-19. It contains two active substances, PF-07321332 and ritonavir, in two different tablets. PF-07321332 works by reducing the ability of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) to multiply in the body while ritonavir prolongs the action of PF-07321332 enabling it to remain longer in the body at levels that affect the multiplication of the virus."

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-ema-recommends-conditional-marketing-authorisation-paxlovid

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was heartening though to see the Swedish expert included, I took that as an indication that there is a belief that Sweden took the right approach.

No, it just shows a willingness to open up the discussion to a diverse range of contributions. There have been far too many phases, surges and all manner of missteps to claim that any country got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

As I said, it's almost as if they are reporting less on Covid in direct proportion to the effect it has on normal rational people.

Obviously, some folks are highly sensitive and possibly paranoid about the motives of any public figures/corporations so will perceive this fact in a skewed irrational manner.

It takes all sorts to make the world go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great to see hospital numbers dropping so quickly

According to Reid about half of the current hospital numbers were admitted for something else and of those most are asymptomatic, so we can expect a lot more discharges in the coming weeks I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just to confirm post above, here's Reid's quote from today:

"53% of those hospitalised cases of Covid were in for an initial diagnosis of Covid, and 47% have been admitted for a different illness and subsequently diagnosed with Covid," Mr Reid said.

"That 47% are asymptomatic primarily, but infectious, so we still have to take the same process of controls and isolation in our hospital system as we work through those numbers.

"But thankfully ... the level of severity is not as severe and the length of stay is continuously coming down as well."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2022/0127/1276248-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Sweden is not vaccinating the five to twelve year old children.

The health experts have decided the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

• Advertisement

I see Paul Reid is talking about using the capacity of the Private Health system to clear the waiting lists.

What is the point of paying for health insurance if you are waiting behind people whose treatment is being paid by the HSE.

Reid has never thanked or acknowledged those who pay health insurance premiums but he has no problem accessing facilities we are paying for.

Im beginning to think there is no point in paying for health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I know I shouldn't but I get perverse pleasure out of following Orla Hegerty on twitter. She really does seem to be becoming more and more unhinged with each passing day since most of the restrictions were lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

To be fair, I do the same, follow her and Olive. I just don't get them. Lock down until Covid goes away or there is a 100% effective vaccine ?

Waxing lyrical about how they're all staying inside to protect themselves and their families, yet not giving 2 f!cks about the people in Supply Chain, production, retail and delivery enabling their life of hermetic privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Windows opened with HEPA filter running and everyone wearing masks. I thought getting the HEPA filters meant that windows could be closed 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As of 8pm tonight

678 in hospital and 70 in ICU

Last Thursday 849 in hospital and 89 in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭rameire

Difference is public have waited 3 years. While private had to wait for a letter that took 2 weeks.

They will be clearing older patients that have not passed and not necessarily new issues.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

It could be also said that Sweden has gone through way too many phases, surges and all manner of missteps to try and claim it took the 'right approach'.

Globally Sweden has had the 52 highest death rate per million. Ireland fared somewhat better and is ranked at 73.

That said both countries have had a significant number of restrictions, an economic downturn and recorded a large number of deaths of people in care homes

An independent Swedish commission found that Sweden had failed to protect its care home residents due to the overall spread of the virus in society and that the response overall was "slow and insufficient". The Swedish Prime Minister Steven Lofven is on record saying that the the large number of reported deaths meant that Sweden's COVID-19 strategy had been a failure.

And that's not to say we haven't had many of the same issues here as well .

But people with health insurance pay thousands in premiums so they dont have to wait.

If you can access treatment in a private hospital without paying for it then whats the point in paying a premium.

Lots of people will be reviewing health insurance now.

I do feel so sorry for their kids tough being locked in with over protective mammy all the time. They could very easily find themselves with kids who can't function or one's who want nothing to do with them in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Advertisement