Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NFL Playoffs - Conference Championship Thread

Options
  • 25-01-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Then only 4 remained

Sunday 8pm

Bengals @ Chiefs

Sunday 11.30pm

49ers @ Rams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Have a lot to live up to from last weekend!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm going for Chiefs and 49ers to setup a repeat SB from 2 years ago though I would prefer to see a Bengals/Rams SB in LA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Probably tilted by my 49ers fandom but I think that one is probably the least interesting Super Bowl game for me when you looks at on the field star match-ups, history, or storylines. Only thing it hits for me is the novelty factor of not playing regularly, but that to me is a negative as it takes away from any rivalry factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Would be nice to see the Bengals in a Superbowl, would easily be the most unexpected outcome: did anyone predict them even getting this far earlier in the year? Even a couple of weeks ago it seemed very unlikely. But I don't find them all that entertaining a team.

Either way I'm backing the niners all the way, they have a special place in Bears hearts after the weekend (as an aside I also enjoyed how much beating the Packers meant to Chicagoan Garopolo, former Bear Gould, and let's not forget George Kittle who we still owe a favour to from last year). Don't mind who they're playing really. I also think their games are always going to be entertaining because they will probably not make life easy for themselves, it's always going to be edge of your seat when you're wondering what the next Jimmy throw is gonna do!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

No reason why both these games won't be pretty epic, since both games are 'replays' of games that were played only a few weeks ago, so the teams know each other, well, & both were great games. Also funny how both the teams that won last time are now underdogs with a lot of media not giving them much kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

For me the Rams were most impressive this past weekend. I thought they were totally and utterly dominant for 3 and a half quarters before their late collapse, which is obviously worrying for them. Someone posted it in the game thread though that just the mere fact that Brady was on the opposing side-line could easily have had something to do those errors. I do think they'll have enough to overcome the 49ers, but the 49ers seem to be grinding out victories regardless of opponent. I just don't think that Rams pass rush can be stopped without the 49ers essentially sacrificing Kittle, and without him it'll be all on Deebo. He'll be surely be doubled on every play. Can the 49ers pull out a victory with Kittle chipping/blocking on every play and with Deebo doubled? Time will tell but I fancy the Rams by 7 here.

I'm really looking forward to the Chiefs - Bengals game though. It would have been a great spectacle to have had this game at Buffalo, but for me Arrowhead is the best stadium in the NFL. That and Mahomes makes every playoff game there a good watch. Everyone seems to be predicting a relatively comfortable Chiefs win, and I think all that does is play into the Bengals' hands. I just have a niggling feeling that Bengals are going to cause an upset here. Burow and Chase, despite being 1st/2nd year players, seem to be in the form of their lives. If they can hang on in there until the 4th quarter, their belief will grow and unease will begin to settle in for both the fans and players of the Chiefs. I think the Chiefs could definitely win comfortably here, but I'm backing the Bengals for no logical reason whatsoever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't get how the Rams pass rush is going to be such a factor in the next game when it was such a non factor 2 weeks ago and also in week 10. Garoppolo has one of the fastest releases in the league and the 49ers live and die by their run game and quick passing game. They also run so much play action it neutralizes the pass rush significantly.

Didn't we also hear that the Cowboys pass rush was going to destroy SF as well?

I think if the Rams win the game it will be because they stuffed the SF run game and got the 49ers into 3rd and long situations and also because their offensive line gave Stafford enough time to push the ball down the field on the 49ers secondary.

Kittle won't be in blocking on every play and its simply not possible to double Deebo on every play. Even if it was it would be irrelevant on the 50% of snaps he takes from the running back position. Assigning 2 defenders to Samuel would open up too much in the run game for Mitchell etc. I just don't see it.

The Rams play mainly zone (77% of their plays this season have been in zone), very difficult to organise double teams on every play in that scenario when 49ers have receivers and RB's in motion on every play. Whenever the Rams have played man against the 49ers this season they have gotten destroyed, JG going 12-for-13 for 170 yards.

I don't see a one sided game here, it will be very close again, I'd lean 49ers based on the previous matchups and the expected 49ers takeover of So-Fi, where it was around 70% 49ers fans in week 18 but it could go either way. Potentially comes down to which QB makes most mistakes, last time out they both had 2 interceptions.

The Buccs had a phenomenal OL and were obliterated. Some teams, especially defences, can and do gel at just the right time, and it looks like the Rams have done that. The Buccs D did it last year and so have many other teams. If their pass rush isn't going to be as big a factor as you think, then I believe it'll be a much closer game. Time will tell on this one.

An interesting stat from the games this weekend:

It was remarkable that Brady was only sacked 3 times when you consider the Titans got to Burrow 9 times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh I don't think the 49ers have a great offensive line at all, I just think they will try to game plan around it. The Rams will need to get SF into obvious passing situations before this becomes a factor.

Chiefs vs. Rams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

174-108 coming in:

Bengals @ Chiefs

49ers @ Rams

Think everyone is going to have the same picks this week. Two strong favourites but two contenders well capable of an upset, especially the 9ers who've been such a bogey team for the Rams.

Can't believe the season is so close to finishing, every year it feels shorter and shorter (and this one was one game longer!)

Not really sure why everyone is so all in on the Rams to be honest, maybe an over reaction to last week. This game is more of a toss up. Their running game is non existent and Stafford is throwing as many picks as Jimmy this season. They also had 4 lost fumbles last week I think.

Chiefs should win as long as they don't turn it over 2+ times. Hard to see the Bengals holding the offense to 3 second half points again.

Bucs didn't have an phenomenal OL in this game, their best OL was out and that backup was playing hurt and their second best OL was also playing injured. Their other tackle isn't good either, which meant they couldn't provide him the usual help he needs while they leave Wirfs on his own.

Sure the Rams defense might be gelling but I'd argue the 49ers defense is gelling and peaking at an even higher level. Below are the stats over the last 3 games, all three games were against 12+ win teams and on the road (the wins in that situation is first time in NFL history this has happened). 49ers haven't been doing that against banged up OLs and out of form QBs either, it was a healthier version of this Rams OL, against the much hyped Cowboys OL and Dak, and then the likely MVP of the league last week.

I think a lot of that opinion is driven by listening in too much on the angle the media has taken over the season and then especially during the playoffs. The narrative around the 49ers for the first half of the season was that they were a mess while ignoring what the team was dealing with, their great form heading into the offseason was mostly ignored, and then the narrative around each of the playoff wins has been focused on what the other team did wrong rather than how well the 49ers team played (though far from perfect)

I don't know why the 49ers fans on here are so bothered at being underdogs - it literally has zero impact on the game. If anything it helps with the 'siege mentality' aspect of sports. It's one of those games that you could predict the Rams to win by 7 or so, but the opposite result wouldn't be in the least bit surprising.

And fwiw I do think the 49ers have every chance of winning this game, there's shades of the Giants SB winning team about them and the way they're doing it, but it would still be an upset were they to beat the Rams. And I thought it would be inarguable to say they benefitted hugely from opponents play in the divisional round - MVP of the league and one of the greats of the game only targeting essentially 2 players all game, after a bye as the #1 seed at home in very favourable conditions for the home team, and not to mention GB special teams play. Whatever about the Cowboys, but tbh I would think 49ers players/coaches/fans would've been concerned regarding their late collapse. I actually think they benefitted hugely from whatever the hell Dak did there at the end. It took all the focus away from them, and their QB especially, and turned it on the Cowboys.

You compare that with the 2 victories the Rams have had and I would think it's blindingly obvious why the Rams are slight favourites for this game.

And from a personal point of view, I wouldn't be disappointed to see either team go through to the Superbowl, each for different reasons. As a Pats fan I'd love to see Jimmy G pick up a ring.

And I totally agree @Foxtrol about the 49ers defence gelling at the right time. They're playing at a phenomenal level these past few weeks. That, and they seem to have the mental edge over the Rams.

I have no issue with 49ers being underdogs, prefer it in fact. Just a bit surprised how many people are writing off San Francisco in this one, presumably based on the Rams first half performance last week.

At some point you have to give the 49ers credit for stopping these top offenses rather than saying the 49ers got lucky because the opposition didn't show up. Last 3 weeks they have road wins in LA, Dallas and Green Bay.

I think the 49ers are a better team than the Rams, having beaten them twice already since week 10, they will have more fans in the stadium (Staffords wife is now buying up tickets to try and prevent this) and I think they will impose their will in the run game, get pressure on Stafford on the other side of the ball and ultimately get over the line in this one.

I did not mean to imply that the 49ers were lucky, rather that they benefitted from poor opposition, much in the same way the Rams did in the WC. Anyways, should be a fascinating game! Great to see the life back in this forum too, wasn't so long ago 1 visit a week would be enough to catch up on all the new posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

7 - 3 for the playoffs, 181 - 101 overall.

Bengals @ Chiefs

49ers @ Rams

The Chiefs losing to the Bengals after last weekend win over the Bills would be a huge upset.

The 49ers have the Rams number since Shanahan took over but I just can't see the Rams losing to them at home twice in the space of a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

When was the last time a team with a bad offensive line made it to the Superbowl?

Joe Burrow has been incredible despite the fact that he's saying behind a line every bit as bad as Andy Dalton did before him.

Burrow and Chase are a special combination. They are capable of beating anybody. I really hope they do it but I don't think they will.

If the good Matt Stafford turns up I think the Rams but if the poor one turns up the niners take this. I'll pick the Rams but it'll be close I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's the Chiefs all the way for me at Arrowhead. What this team has done over the past four years and as recently as last week gives me a lot of confidence. Ingram, Clark and Jones should be able to get to Burrow and hopefully Mathieu is back to sort the secondary. I can't see a repeat of a few weeks ago on offense; Mahomes, Kelce and Hill are in the zone now.

I think the Rams will just have enough to get over the 49ers in the other game but it won't be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not sure being at home will be much of an advantage. Packers had a cauldron of support and horrible home weather advantage and it did nothing for them, meanwhile SoFi looks like it's going to be crawling with red and gold

I don't have any problems with being them being underdogs, I totally understand that they shouldn't be betting favourites on Sunday. I also agree the team love it, just like they did back at the start of the season in 2019. My point earlier was that I simply don't understand some of the analysis of posters, including your own, in how you get to your answer. The only time I pushed back hard was the claims on Wild Card weekend that it was a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys were going to beat them by at least 10 points.

Again, have no idea what you're seeing in the The Rams playoff victories. They absolutely fell apart last weekend in a far worse fashion than the 49ers did against the Cowboys, only to be saved by an idiotic blitz call to avoid going to OT, and their first game was against a Cardinals team that you acknowledge was in absolutely dire form with 4-4 record in their last 8 games of the season, including loses to Seahawks (7 win team), Panthers (5 win team), and Lions (3 win team).

I just don't get your logic - earlier you seem to give the Rams all the praise for Brady and the Bucs offense playing poorly for most of the game but Rodgers playing poorly for most of the game apparently isn't at all credited to the 49ers. Below are more stats of what the 49ers defense is doing over the last few games, they're getting after the QB and causing down games. If the 49ers can't keep up that type of pressure then they will likely lose unless Stafford has a meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Going to go for a Rams Vs Chiefs Super Bowl but would really like to see the bengals go all the way and have a new super bowl champion

You're saying in one paragraph that you understand them being underdogs, then in the next paragraph you're saying you don't see what I saw in their playoff victories, when it's fairly in line with general consensus on how they played. I don't know what to say to you, I'm sorry I don't appreciate more the 49ers victories and that I don't think along your lines. And I've explained my point about how Rodgers played. See my above post. I never once indicated that it purely down to Rodgers.

No need for a faux apology, this is a discussion forum and you have a different opinion to me - I was simply challenging yours.

I am in no way contradicting myself - I agree the 49ers are underdogs but just don't feel your reasons why stand up to scrutiny if you compare the two teams on them.

Your two main points thus far in believing the Rams will win have been the performance of their defense, specifically highlighting their pass rush, and that the 49ers have 'benefitted hugely from opponents play'. I countered by highlighting how well the 49ers defense has played over the last three weeks, including their pressure rate on QBs including Stafford, and pointing out how the Rams have benefited from poor play of their opponents thus far. These areas aren't where the teams are different, if anything the 49ers come out on top from what I've seen to this point.

Now here is why I agree the 49ers should be underdogs - it is down largely to the disparity in quality at QB, even before we take into account Jimmy playing injured. Ignoring the good chance Jimmy will do something wild to lose the game for the 49ers, it is far less likely the 49ers will win because of their QB than it is the Rams. Stafford has the ability to elevate his team when parts aren't going well that Jimmy has rarely shown - though I very much hope he'll prove me wrong on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What you see as challenging, most see as belittling and insulting.

You're right, my bad. We'll agree to disagree sure! As long as it's a close game I'll be happy!

With my allegiance, a 49ers win would be preferable but a close game would be a good start 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Here's to a another great weekend of football. Nothing much to add to the analysis here, to be honest, I have not really been following as closely as some of the posters here.

Would love to see a 49ers v Bengals Super Bowl, with either to win, I think would be a great achievement for either team and what they have been up against this year.

That said, even though the Rams have loaded up and gone all in , I still would not mind seeing them take another title. Unfortunately for me, it looks like the Chiefs might be the class of the NFL this year, despite the stumbles earlier in the year.

OK, gotta nail my colours to the mast, and pull for someone.........go 49ers!

Advertisement