Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Are they trying to tell you only need one optimizer on each string? If so, that's not correct. You need an optimizer on ALL panels that may get shaded.

Without optimizers, even a small shaded area on one panel of a string will severely impact performance of the entire string. Shading 50% of a panel will not take the performance down by 50%, more like 80-90%. And the rest of the string will be similarly impacted.

Optimizers will not fully correct loses from shading but will substantially help.

As the optimizers can be a pain to fit after the panels are bolted down - especially on a 2 storey roof or slate roof, I wouldn't be inclined to skimp on them if you have a good idea of the panels that would be shaded.

Can't speak to micro inverters as I've not worked with them, but I haven't seen anyone quote a system using them instead of a hybrid etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayo2011

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I figured, but I'm not so sure many people getting solar installations realize. I've been quoted by 3 solar installers that they'd stick an optimizer on each side of the roof to cater for shading, but after I pointed to the chimney on south side that will cause partial shading at peak times of the day, they offered to install extra optimizers. Varying in price from 20-60 euro each. I said I need them on all panels. But I'm still looking for realistic quotes. Quotes given to me so far I'm told are 2k overpriced. Getting quotes in excess of 15k for a 18 panel 7kw system with a 5kw battery, inverter, water diverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

€15k for a 7kwp system with 5kWh battery and diverter is a lot more than €2k overpriced!

More like €5k high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Can someone who has received a quote or had an installation in the past 2 months for the above setup at 10k, please DM me the installer details?

The sense that I am getting is that prices are going up, but I don't want to just accept that and take a quote that is too high.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayo2011

Personally I think installers are just taking the 3k grant as a guaranteed bonus, not a discount to the customer - its actually none of their business if people qualify for SEAI grant or not. Most quotes I've received so far are given as net after grant. More detailed investigation almost always shows their true figure to be 3k higher. I've also been getting the hurry now dribble from some installers - claiming the grant is likely to be reduced in next week or so. Absolute nonsense.

I'm also getting peed off with the other false selling point installers are playing - you can sell surplus back to the grid so you are as well as putting as many panels up as possible. Thats rubbish. ESB has the amount capped so you can never make off them, and they only pay 8c a unit which is 1/4 of what the likes of flo-gas charge customers. Why cant we sell to energy companies directly???? The real stinger is the amount is capped at something in the region of 50-80 euros max they will pay, so after you have generated your quota, the ESB gets your surplus for free. You will take a lot longer than the usual 7-8 year paid for itself if relying on that 50-80 quid. My advice, put on the xmas tree lights the first sign of summer and earth any surplus into the ground.

That said, like you Ballyv24, I too would like to get in touch with a reputable installer at an acceptably reasonable price. I'm based in Galway with a handy bungalow install, and looking for a 7-10kw system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

• Registered Users Posts: 25 divot

Hey folks, newbie to Solar Power but about time I did something about it... finding it hard to decipher how you walk through the process without going crazy, and get as much as you need whilst reasonably future-proofing... without purchasing hardware that won't ever pay itself back...

Short version: mid-terrace 2-storey house Dublin 8, so have two roof aspects, effectively North/South. (For completeness, one is South with a touch of East, other one, predictably, is a touch West of North. Call it 20 degrees off - 160/340).

Consumption pattern is 2-kid family, both parents working from home right now - that will change, but it's highly likely someone is going to be in the house most days generally.

Don't have an EV right now, but considering a PHEV. From a solar perspective, thinking it makes little sense to invest in panels/invertor and not get a battery - because any excess in the summer months simply goes back to the grid for free, then I pay again in the evening for TV, washing machine etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but feels like a PV system without a battery is slighly bonkers unless you have moderate stable consumption for 8 hours a day, then don't need much after 6pm!

That's the theoreticals. Got our first quote this week, with/without battery:

10 x 390w N-type Jinko panels (3.9kW)

Inverter: SAJ 3kW w/DC & Wifi

Eddi

Fire Safety Switch

BER

Price: €9,194 inc tax. Factoring €1,800 panel-only grant, net cost €7,394

// with the battery, everything the same except adding/swapping:

Inverter: 3kW SoFar Hybrid Inverter

2.4kWh Dyness Battery

Price: €11,327 inc. tax. Factoring €2,970 panels & battery grant, net cost €8,357

So I guess my questions are:

Is my thinking broadly reasonable (case for a battery is strong, case for an Eddi is weak.. I guess an Eddi would be a last sink for excess power in the summer if we got an EV and the EV hadn't moved for a day or two?). Any contrary views on Inverters/Batteries?

And finally, quote/s - in the ballpark, or not so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

The quotes are on the high side considering the small battery. The second quote you can bin.

If you get a battery get at least 5kw min. Up the inverter to at least 5kw, yes the panels might be only 4kw but if you combine the output of the panels and battery you could easy get that up to 5kw, even 6kw (with a 6kw inverter but i think thats ott).

Don't totally discount the Eddie but remember it can easily added at a later date.

North west aspect will come in very handy during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

So they are quoting you €8357, for 10 panels and a 2.4kwh battery.

My system has the same battery, 14 panels (4.2kwp) plus an Eddi water diverter and was 2k cheaper. (BER was Included too)

Now it was installed 2 years ago, but prices haven't gone up that much... or have they??

This quote goes in the" must do better" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Please remember, payback is only against the power used. A chunk of your bill is the standing charge and levies etc.

Most will possibly use about 70% of their production. So don't go thinking that your current annual bill will drop to zero - far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Just paid the deposit for this from the Enniskillen company. They initially quoted €10,900 last month and I got them down to this. Quote was in December so I didn't post it until I had deposit paid.

12 PANELS 345 WATT 4 KW. JA SOLAR TIER 1 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

5 KW. PURE DRIVE BATTERY.

5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER.

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER.WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE €10,000. EUROS INC.VAT.

APPLY TO SEAI REF. GRANT €3000 EUROS.

Total cost €7000.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Standard kit from the Enniskillen boys, enjoy the setup.

Out of interest, and 6 power cuts last year! Would an extra battery be worth getting now or would it be easy enough to add one myself?

Should be easy enough BUT

have you got a circuit rigged up to the emergency supply output ? If you have that many outages, I hope you do to be able to use battery when the grid goes down

System's not fitted yet so can go through all that when it is. Just want to ensure I have enough battery back up due to the regular yearly outages.

easy to fit DIY, no harm in asking them what they can do price wise as they have them in stock and can get them at a lower price than you.

Ask them to install a socket under the inverter linked into the BACKUP. Keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

hello folks... a hell of a thread you've got going here. i spent the past 3 or 4 days going through the 2020/21 and 2022 threads and have to say its a fantastic resource, fair play to ye.

now onto me. i'm located in west waterford on the south side of the knockmealdown mountains.

the house (yet to be built) will be east/west facing on an acre site with no shading issues. i'm planning on putting the array in the garden (up at the back corner) facing due south. the house will be a self-build 4 bedroom single storey passive house with ASHP.

i'm thinking of future proofing by installing an 8.4kw array (allowing for two EV's in the driveway), 6kw invertor and 10KwHr battery (might start off with 5KwHr and then add on). my plan is to buy the kit, install it and then have a sparky commission. with it being a passive house and yet to be built i'm a little unsure as to the energy demand the house will require, certainly the ASHP will draw a fair whack of power but i fear i may initially be massively over-sizing the array - i plan to speak to a passive house consultant shortly who will be able to advise on the likely demand.

anyhow my queries are as follows:

1) is it really the case that the system is as simple as plug & play and can any run-of-the-mill sparky commission the system?

2) i reckon the nearest part of the array will be approx. 10m from the garage where the battery and invertor will be located. i presume cabling that distance is not an issue?

3) is there a simple way around configuring the system so that it works in a blackout? the site is in a rural location, blackouts will happen. ***IGNORE I SEE IT HAS JUST BEEN ANSWERED AS I TYPED THIS POST***.

4) what's the VAT rate on this kit? i presume it'll be 23%.

i've priced the kit up as follows;

22 x Amerisolar 380w all black = €2,860 ex VAT

1 x Solis 6kW Hybrid Battery Inverter = €1,344 ex VAT

4 x Pylontech Battery 2.4KwHr = €3,422 ex VAT

Total = €7,626 ex VAT

a 6kW array, invertor and 5KwHr battery using the same kit comes to €5,135 ex VAT but as someone on here says go big or go home!!! lol

the above excludes the ancillary items e.g. cabling, isolators, delivery etc. which will be another few hundred quid. the frame and concrete base the array sits on will be made by the family engineering company.

what i can't get my head around is the cost of installation the suppliers are including in their quotes (2 days it appears). it's absolutely scandalous. am i missing something obvious with the above proposal or is highway robbery simply happening on a large scale?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My install took 2 days (in Jan, and was up and running before it got dark on the second day).

My dad's install took 1. Although it was a very simple install (shed roof and inverter on the wall in it) and the cable was already run back to the consumer unit.

Both are on steel roof sheds.

Sounds like your going for ground mount though, which can be more expensive unless you have an engineering company handy like you do.

An advantage of working with an installer is the VAT, as they only charge 13.5% for the whole project instead of 23%

As your putting it in your garage, that's no issue but, there will need to have cat6 cables run to carry the CT signals/rs485 signals depending on where the solis meter is put. As well as good supply cable to the garage.

Distance is not an issue. My panels are about 50-60m away from the Inverter and the inverter is another 100m away from the main consumer unit.

You sound handy. Consider a DIY battery. 10kW for under €2k. There's a Solar Battery Options thread where you'll get all the details.

Consider making a frame from Unistrut. There are 45° angle brackets which would make the perfect slope, assembling like mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Hi Guys, what is the advantage of getting the battery and is it really needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You can charge them cheaply on night rate during the winter, and use it to offset expensive day units. That's one big advantage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well I'd say the main advantage is that it can capture the excess solar in the summer and allow it to be used in the evening.

Night rate charging is just a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Great price. When I bought mine it was much more. They were impossible to get at the time.

Great stuff @graememk , really appreciate the info... there's so much to ponder 😁

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

i'm a little worried i'll burn the garage down with a DIY battery 😅...seriously though thanks for the info, will definitely look into it.

regarding the frame i'm thinking of making it adjustable so i can set it to a more severe angle in winter when the sun is low in the sky (e.g. 80 degree angle to the ground). i used sunearthtools.com the other day to assess the positioning of the sun, a very handy tool.

i'll come back to this thread once i have all the costs nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Has anyone ordered panels recently on a DIY route. Looking for 10kW+. Thinking of ordering a pallet. Just wondering if you've spotted any particularly good deals before I order.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Got mine through a friend vat free

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Midsummer renewables

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I was taking that a given. Yes, you are absolutely right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Latest Quote. Unfortunately it is hard to do a like with like comparison with my previous quote since the panels and battery size etc are different. The consensus of my previous quotes is that they were too high. Any thoughts on this?

Quote is to supply and install 6.24kWp Solar PV with 4.8kWh battery storage and EDDI

16 of Jinko N type 390 watt all black mono panels

SOFAR 5kW HYD 5500-EP single phase hybrid string inverter

4.8 kW Dyness Lithium Ion cartridge battery storage in expandable housing cabinet

Cost including VAT is approx. €12819

Grant applied from SEAI €3000

Final Cost €9819

Any thoughts on the price, and getting a 5kw invertor in other quotes? Is 6kw what I should get, or does it matter?

Thanks for all the advice so far

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement