Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox’s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So basically like cats, dogs and budgies. Organised hunts for cats and dogs that people feed, by ego's with guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’m in the Dublin suburbs and see them all the time. They are so thin though, I don’t know how they survive. I leave a bit of food out for them as well. I always think they must have a hard life, spending their whole time scavenging for food. I don’t know how they survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

Indeed it is the same issue with feral cats and dogs. To be clear: I am not pro hunter/gun and I don’t want foxes to be exterminated. I am just saying the population shouldn’t be left unchecked as it would impact other wild animals foxes prey on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Foxes don't have the impact on other wild Animals that you seem to think they have (except small rodents where the Foxes agility trumps the prey's lack of speed).

You might be surprised to learn that the bulk of a wild Foxes diet is Earthworms and in the Autumn Blackberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You want to bet? I'm a longtime member of a local birdwatching club.

We have a hide at a small nature reserve where we have (had) a breeding population of several groundnesting wild bird species.

Couple years ago local fox population went into over drive and we watched as foxes decimated nesting birds and their young.

Foxes are known to scavenge and are predators of a wide range of animals including rabbits, rats, wild bird and even the odd domestic animal and fowl. In years when there is an increase in numbers and competition increases in the numbers of Foxes is often to be to the detriment of other species. Other issues with increases in the fox population include endemic mange and parvo.

I believe there are several wild life reserves worldwide including a number of islands where fox numbers are strictly managed and in some cases Foxes have had to be removed entirely due to the damage done to wild bird numbers.

And btw no I've nothing against Foxes - there is a very healthy population here. The trouble occurs when there are larger numbers of foxes than available food. Afaik this is one reason foxes started to move into cities in large numbers over the last couple of decades.

From the Conserve Ireland website

(Foxes) are highly opportunistic feeders who use a variety of hunting techniques. Species which they have a preference for include rabbits, young hares, rats, mice, hedgehogs, pigeons and ground nesting birds, when such prey items become scarce they will supplement their diet by foraging for earthworms, beetles, crickets and insect larvae. Apples and blackberries are also eaten on occasion. 

• Advertisement

What species was the ground nesting bird mention?

I am not denying that in certain rare circumstances Foxes can create an issue, what I am saying is that in general they are not any problem and shouldn't be persecuted the way they are.

I think you will find Foxes did not move into cities....the cities moved out into Fox territory and Foxes adapted.

Main species impacted were Redshank and several species of duck.

Foxes are very plentiful in Ireland but periodically do create havoc for other species when their population increases over and above nomal levels. From what I've read the fox is the most widespread carnivore worldwide with population denisties here of up to 20 individuals per km2.

Afaik foxes are not considered endangered in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe. 

Good article on urban Foxes which have only been observed in urban areas such as London in the last 100 years or so

https://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/questions/answer/when-and-how-did-foxes-come-to-live-in-our-towns-and-cities

There is no way that there is 20 individuals per km2 in the rural area where I live, I would hazard a guess at much less than a third of that.

BTW do you not find Magpies and Hooded crows to be a far greater threat to your ground nesting birds?

Especially Magpies which are notorious nest raiders and everywhere.

Thats the upper limit quoted btw ie "up to" that I quoted. Around here atm I'd say it would be around easily half that if not more allowing for the fact that a sq km is equal to 100 hectares or 247 acres

In my experience ground nesting birds generally tend do a fairly good job at camouflaging nests against magpies and crows. That's not to say that there would be some loses.

However the only time I've seen breeding wildbirds effectively wiped out here was when the local fox population went into overdrive. I suspect Foxes mainly used scent to find or waited for the young birds to leave the nests

Foxes are known to be a problem with wild ground nesting birds such as lapwings and curlews being particularly vulnerable to predation by foxes

Isn't the problem with Lapwings and Curlews caused by loss of habitat caused by Human activity.

Obviously Foxes and those species coexisted fine for thousands of years so this is not a problem of their making.

• Advertisement

Predation by foxes is a major problem listed by conservation bodies for groundnesting birds here and around the world even including conservation areas with little or no human activity look it up. That's not to say there aren't other significant issues to do with habitat loss etc. But as in the example I've given - the birds had bred successfully for several generations with a a lot of work to ensure that the habitat and conditions were right. I know what happened is not at all unusual and this type of predation places extra pressure on native and migratory wildbird populations

The main problem I see is when fox numbers get of control. I'd reckon in previous times fox numbers were more strictly controlled compared to now and / or had their own predators.

As detailed foxes are highly opportunistic and do breed very successfully.

So back to your original point fox numbers can and do impact on other wildlife populations

Back in the 70s Curlew were a very common sight here and so were Foxes. in fact if I remember correctly Curlew numbers started to collapse during the 80s and 90s when Fox numbers were low owing to the fur trade ....so we will agree to disagree about Foxes being a cause of their demise.

BTW thats an interesting article on urban Foxes you put up at post 38.

Fair enough.

I remember back in the '70s there was a bounty paid for dead foxes. That's gone a long time now and around here foxes are a lot more plentiful now.

Btw curlew and lapwing are just two of the species in decline. Predation as a result of periodic overpopulation by foxes hasn't helped this.

But not my opinion about ground nesting birds being vulnerable to predation by foxes - that's what conservation groups have found and I've seen it myself here with local ground nesting birds being effectively wiped out.

But hey no problem.

There was a small bounty paid for Fox tails in the 70s but almost nobody bothered with it.

It was the big prices paid by fur dealers in the 80s and 90s that decimated the Fox populations...there were even calls at the time to ban the trade as it was feared Foxes might become extinct, an estimated 70,000 were slaughtered one year. Thankfully this trade died out on its own in the end.

This is also the time the Curlew population started to decline so if Fox predation was a big factor in Curlew numbers...then during this period Curlew numbers should have exploded not collapsed.

Notwithstanding the vagaries of what was happening in the 80s or 90s. The issue here is what's happening now between a large fox population and already declining bird numbers.

On the curlew - there just one of the bird species mentioned by conservation groups as under pressure. The ground nesting birds I detailed were directly impacted and without doubt by a spike in the local fox population.

The predation happening now with a much larger number of foxes, is having a big impact on a smaller bird population (not just 'curlew') and that can be a significant problem for wildlife especially where their numbers are already in decline. This is one issue that conservation groups are concerned about.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Perhaps someone could start a kill all the garden foxes thread now that they have done their job and killed all the joy in this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i dunno if a fox decided he wanted a bath or not, but i looked out the front window this morning and the water in the little pond in the front garden is all muddied and something - i.e. a fox - bit all the leaves off the water lily and threw them around the garden.

Two nights ago, my son opened tha back door and there's a fox standing there. I came to have a look and fox is only 1.4m away, not scared and looks at us expectantly. My son opens a pouch of cat food and dumps it on the step. Fox consumes it and then pads off into the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Here's a picture of our nightly visitor. I noticed she has a mate now, we saw the too of them playing the field during the week in broad daylight. She's very comfortable around humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
Advertisement