Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I've always said that waves peak and fizzle out without restrictions or lockdown.

Lots of people repeatedly laughed at me and claimed that restrictions were the only reason that case numbers dropped. Without restrictions, the cases would keep rising.

It's good to see cases and hospital numbers fizzling out with no restrictions. Now we have proof that they really didn't do much.

Sitting in lockdown for months on end was so wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A very twisted logic there. We're where we are now because....oh it's not worth it as you have that mindset for two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Johan Giesecke had nothing to do with what Sweden did, he just gave opinions on lockdowns, quite loudly, and happens to be Swedish but he's WHO and well qualified to comment on epidemiology. The more input and feedback we get on our strategy, the better.

Here's the brief for the Expert Group.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/8beb5-ministers-for-health-establish-the-public-health-reform-expert-advisory-group/#

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Gusser09

FFS imagine living in New Zealand. Arden has lost the plot. As bad as our lads have been once we realized we were out of the woods they opened up no messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hard to understand what's going on in counties like NZ , Oz and Cananda . Seems utterly mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I hear some jobs are asking WFH staff to come back to the offices for 3 days starting next month. Personally i think we are just now moving on from covid but until its so far past in the rear view mirror we are not over it...

What I mean is let's see what happens winter 2022 like November and December.

We cant do that. Lose another 10 months off things? Pubs, clubs hokidays etc are full steam ahead so it makes no sense to continute a full WFH approach. A hybrid is best for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

wFH had worked for 80% of people as good if not better than being in the office

there is no actual benefit to forcing people back into offices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ignoring the huge and main benefit of early lockdowns was to prevent hospitals being swamped

Perhaps you misinterpreted me.

I mentioned wfh staff now being asked back - as in we are now starting to move past covid. Being asked back as being another sign. But let's see what happens winter time to see if we are truly "over covid" once and for good.

In other words things are looking good now however let's just see what happens later in the year winter time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Australia and New Zealand are in a tight spot. There is the inevitability that they cannot keep Omicron suppressed and therefore they will have to open up sooner or later and allow it freer access to the population.

This will result in a large spike in deaths. Australia are just starting to peak on this, but New Zealand haven't even started. It will be a "spike" in deaths that's huge compared to what they've had before, but it will be tiny compared to the rest of us.

Nevertheless, it's a big social hurdle to be overcome. The aim all along was to minimise loss of life, and while they have done that and will still come out of this having done a LOT better than the rest of us, having to open up and accept there will be a number of weeks of higher death rates, is a very big pill to swallow.

There are a number of other countries across Asia in a similar quandry, but few with an actual democracy. Very easy to justify lockdowns and deaths when nobody can question you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Despite all evidence to the contrary, the poster has a lot of their "boards.ie capital" tied up in trying to be right on this one, noticeable that it's a conspiracy theorist that's still thanking him :)

There is a bit of truth in it that the highest peaks are unsustainable but that seems to be more the virus running out of social contacts to spread towards, with lockdowns the numbers drop rapidly, with restrictions the numbers drop so far but not completely (as we've seen last year from September onwards with a small growth rate but much less than R in an unrestricted environment), but with no restrictions the case counts stay high enough to overwhelm the health system, which is fine if the poster wants to advocate who should be treated and who shouldn't (you know, just in case their hare-brained idea was wrong and to have a backup plan), but they consistently run away from that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Genuine question to those on here smarter than me in all things COVID.

What is New Zealand's end game?

The vaccines dont stop transmission so its going to spread as soon as they open up so what do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They've just started the acceptance phase and are preparing people for normality They should begin to abandon Zero-COVID quite soon. For Kiwis that will be ugly and shocking but by April/May they'll be out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you forgetting all the deaths before we had vaccinations?

You were very wrong then.

Looking at their most recent updates, New Zealand have moved to a "living with covid" plan. Overall seems pretty sensible. They have a Red/Orange/Green system for restrictions based on case prevalence. The Red status isn't even as tight as we were just last week; most venues open (including nightclubs), just requiring a vaccine pass. They're 95% vaccinated, so it's not big deal.

There's a bit of consternation about their isolation rules. Everyone who is positive has to isolate for 14 days. Their household contacts have to restrict their movements for those 14 days AND for ten days after that (assuming they don't test positive in the meantime).

This is a very long time in comparison, but the basis of it is sound - that your household contact could still catch it from you on day 12 of your isolation.

The purpose here (as far as I can tell) is not to try and eliminate Covid, but ultimately to drag out the infections over a longer period. They can take some lessons from the rest of us, but not others. The number of people who've had covid in NZ is very low, so they have to proceed with a bit more caution than the likes of the UK who were riddled with covid before Omicron even appeared. They cannot assume their hospitals won't be overwhelmed with high infection rates.

The fact that they've been basically open for the last two years, and their restriction regime doesn't introduce many curbs on everyday life, means they will be well able to maintain this over a period of 5-6 months while Omicron does its thing and the public will be kept onside.

I'd say there's a good chance their isolation rules might start being a problem once Omicron really bites and they'll be forced to review them down to keep the economy open. Likewise the restriction system might start to look silly if the entire country is in the Red zone and hospitals are doing OK.

But they are well prepared and well informed. Which is more than any other country can say.

To me it looks as if Arden has backed herself in to a corner on this one and a climb down on herd immunity is going to be really difficult. She would want to avoid a big spike in deaths which is more than likely if she were to remove restrictions. Rather than having a steady death rate over 22 months they could have a massive spike over 3-4 months.

To me this is political at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭amandstu

How does previously having been riddled with Covid work better than being 95% vaccinated?

Does prior infection work better in some regards (esp transmission) than being vaccinated?

I thought it was the other way around (even though I know vaccinations may not work well in preventing transmission I thought they did have some efficacy, even though that info ,if correct was Delta related)

I think the WFH debates are now separate from Covid. The workplace in comparisons to pubs and social settings are likely to be a lot less problematic. If it was a case of "wait and see" and we'd never move on. Covid isn't an excuse to continue WFH anymore. If there are issues around that then employees and employers need to find a common ground but Covid won't cut the mustard anymore.

I'm all for a Hybrid working model by the way but I do get fed up hearing colleagues giving out about having to do a day or two onsite and still trying to use the covid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The point is that we don't know. Nobody does. We can make pretty good guesses, but that's not really how this ever worked in any country. When you have some uncertainty you work off the more cautious assumption rather than the "be grand" one.

As yet there isn't really any data in terms of Omicron spread & severity versus previous covid infection prevalence in a region. It worked out OK for SA (high prevalence) and UK & Ireland (medium-high prevalence). We haven't yet seen anyone with low prevalence having to deal with Omicron.

We're pretty clear on the fact that well-vaccinated populations are well protected in general. This is why the NZ approach has no concept of lockdown.

But for a country with very low previous rates of infection, there's always a possibility of a sting in the tail. For example, we have 6,000 deaths recorded. Is there a proportion of those deaths which were basically inevitable with or without vaccination?

It's a possibility. What it means for the likes of NZ is that once they open up, they may see a very severe flood of ICU admissions and deaths from highly vulnerable people newly-exposed to Covid. We didn't see this because these people were already dead. They can't save all of these people, they know that. But at the same time, the insane infectiousness of Omicron could still cause NZ's hospital system to become overwhelmed. Hence the slightly cautious, dragged-out approach.

It may not happen at all. There may be no difference in what happens in NZ than what happened elsewhere. The vaccine rates might hold up. But it's an uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Another media frenzy, see thread below.

From a quick look at that lads twitter page you linked, he does appear a little unhinged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Christ don’t let Orla and Co see this. There will be a total meltdown 😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have to wonder about New Zealand’s end game. I wonder if Arden will accept living with Covid. She just canceled her wedding because of Omicron.

It's almost like I am having a one sided conversation and you just wanted to say all that garbage because you read a few keywords I what I wrote....

Ah sure. Now that things are lifting the moaners gotta be creative to have another moan right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It's so so sad to see how those twitter freaks are clutching at anything to scare people. It's actually sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There are countless others, don’t google bats and coronaviruses 😂 Now if scientists would just refrain from gain of function research that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I agree what you say here myself. I n Irelands case I think we made a mess of the nursing homes and so many life’s were lost. I think that when it ran through those nursing homes some of the most susceptible to Covid passed away, in NZ there is such little exposure to the virus in the country that those who are most susceptible to it are still alive. I think we in Ireland recognise that at this stage of the game vaccinations and prior infections will protect the vast majority, however there is still those that will die even though they were vaccinated. In NZ and Oz etc they have kinda backed themselves into a corner by trying to prevent all deaths which just isn’t possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭amandstu

Seem to be lots of variables in play

As you say ,steady as she goes.

I expect they also have the better quality masks available now which should work in their favour too.

Advertisement