Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Take it from someone who ordered in June and collected in December - until you are matched with a VIN in a quarter you will likely not get a delivery this quarter. It all depends on so many variables its completely unpredictable whether or not you will be matched or not. Chosen model type, colour, wheels etc. and then the big deal is how many UK cars are being shipped - I had people ordering months after me in the UK getting deliveries months before me from the same ship that would deliver to Ireland. Be prepared to wait until June and you might get lucky.

6 months of bloody checking every morning for the Vin to appear was torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think this is true, there's a specific demographic of 3 owners - which is largely distinct from S/X owners although there will be cross over.

3 owners would be largely affluent (but not excessively so), mid 30s to mid/late 40s, predominantly male married homeowners with 2 or less kids. Essentially the same as an S/X owner but lacking the bank for the S/X.

Model 3 is still a very expensive purchase in the grand scheme of things but it is the poor man's tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

I actually spoke to the delivery team this morning and they said I should definitely expect delivery in early to mid March. I’m VIN eligible at the moment so they expect I’ll be matched soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lads, use this time to get acquainted with the various apps you'll likely use when you get the car (assuming it's your 1st EV).

eCars - it takes them a while to get the actual card sent out and the card is important (their servers go down, the app won't work etc...), so set up your account now and drop ~€20 into it (I'd suggest PayG if you'll be an infrequent user)

EasyGo - more and more chargers are popping up, so handy to at least have a PayG account.

PlugShare - Find chargers (shows all public chargers regardless of brand/operator), and see photo's of them as well as recent user check-in's etc... so you can see how reliable they are...

Zap-Map I believe is similar to PlugShare but I dont use it.

Home Charger - Apply* for the SEAI grant now (you get a provisional approval (letter of offer) within a few days), and once you have the offer letter, you can buy the charger and get it installed, and be ready for when the car arrives - Installers are busy, so better to have this squared away sooner rather than later.

*You need the Car SEAI grant application ID which Tesla can provide if they have it, but if they don't have it, you can still apply, and it just means you send SEAI a copy of teh logbook when you apply for the grant refund.

Are you getting the 18" aero wheels? if so and you want to remove the hubcaps to show off the alloys, buy the wheel nut & centre cap kit now (if buying from China will take a while to get here).

What else are you going to need? I carry a 12v compressor and a tyre puncture repair kit in the boot, and have used it on my car, and a fellow Boardsie's car, so it's worth having. Jacking pucks? They are not essential, but are a much cleaner and secure way to jack up the car, I carry 4 of them in my boot. eBay from China so again, took a few weeks to arrive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

UK are getting theirs mid-Feb, so far the VINs confirm all the expected updates apart from the rear windows

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

Same here! April 2016, but it took so long I had to cancel and get something else in 2018. Would’ve had to cancel it either way as family doubled in the 4 years it would’ve taken to arrive 😂.

you guys are waiting 3-5 months ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 unabashed_goldfish

I've ordered one of those puncture repair kits (some kind of foam), it's suggesting it will inflate the tyre too so would you still recommend the compressor as well? Not sure how confident I'd be in the foam actually inflating the tyre.

Have been keeping a list of recommended things to get, so far:

• Screen protector
    • Floor and boot mats
    • Puncture repair kit
    • 12v battery booster
    • Jacking pucks
    • Seat protector for the car seats
    • A23 battery for getting into the frunk in case of a dead battery

Not sure if current/future owners would add or remove to that list?

Thanks Andy, I'm moving from my Ioniq 28kWh to the Model 3, so am sorted for most of those things. Do you recommend any puncture repair kit in particular? Same with the jack discs?

Thanks,

Pete

• Advertisement

I believe even the RWD Model 3 now comes with mats, so I'm going to wait and see what they're like

The foam kits might not be as effective as the tyres have an acoustic foam insert in them, so the foam you inject might not find its way to the puncture to seal it.. I just have a plug kit, and have been fairly successful plugging 2 Model 3 tyres with the acoustic foam inserts in them.

• Screen protector - to borrow an analogy from this thread: It's like wearing a Johnny riding your wife to keep her clean for her next husband!. A wipe of a cloth is all it needs. 2 years in (48k km), and a kid who's always playing the games on the screen, and it's fine, not a single mark on it.
    • Floor and boot mats - dont all Model 3's come with floor mats now? unless you're looking for teh heavy duty rubber ones, I wouldn't bother.. same in boot, have had bikes & Christmas tree's in it, and it's always fine after a hoover.
    • Puncture repair kit - yes, I'd suggest a €7-€10 plug kit from Amazon/eBay, and I'd back it up with a 12v compressor. When temperatures dip, so do tyre pressures, and you lose efficiency, so worth having in my opinion. I use mine quite a lot.
    • 12v battery booster - I dont know why you'd need one of these?
    • Jacking pucks - Yeah, worth picking up a set of either 2 or 4 if you end up going to a tyre place don't have them.
    • Seat protector for the car seats - you're choice, but the vegan leather holds up very well (mine is black), and is very easy to clean.... ice cream, chocolate, sticky lollipops etc... wet wipe and its like new again.
    • A23 battery for getting into the frunk in case of a dead battery - I would seriously doubt you'd ever need to use this method to open the frunk!! Maybe if you left the car 2+ months or something!, but save your money.

Anything on Amazon will do; This is the one I bought;

Same with the pucks, I got them on eBay, they are just rubber pucks, so just get the cheapest ones you can get..

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭wassie

Centre console sliding tray - handy for storing charging cards leaving room underneath. Got mine off Aliexpress.

Amazon linky:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carwiner-Organizer-Interior-Accessories-Sunglass/dp/B08SLXNF3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Poor man's Tesla, but I think it will be the classic that is remembered rather than the Model S or X, as great as the latter are. For size and design and performance, it is still the Goldilocks EV for many of us. Obvs am waiting on either the SH market or my salary to improve to acquire one.

I mean, it's the next step after the clear Tesla vision:

Roadster, expand and cheapen to S + X, expand and cheapen to 3+Y, gain market share with cybertruck+semi, keep S,X,Roadster2 as halo products but the main driver of revenue will always be the 3/Y (especially the Y) unless theres a new smaller car with more volume of sales

My main issue with the 3 for my use is that it's too small and it's a saloon. We need a hatchback and at least 6 usable seats. For that reason I wouldnt buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

What are people using for their key for everyday driving, card, phone, or did you buy a fob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

If they do the so called Model 2 city car then game over, especially given the exploding SuC network

• Advertisement

Phone, with card in wallet also as back up.

Every now and then the doors won't unlock, so simply unlocking the phone is enough to wake it up which will then unlock the doors.

Reminder also for all the soon to be new owners; I'd suggest enabling Pin to Drive once you get the car, as a lost wallet (containing key card) or phone and it means someone can take your car..... Pin to Drive is the last line of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anyone using iWatch app? At least if removed from your wrist needs a pin to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Phone, with card in wallet also as back up. Auto unlocks as you walk up and locks when you get out.

Also Pin to Drive.

I did the PIN for 3 months and it wrecked my head after a while. Ive never lost my phone and my other half has her phone as a key so if it was ever carjacked we would be able to locate it on her phone easy enough. But then again I lease my car through my company so I would be 'slightly' less security conscious than if I owned it outright.

Tesla have a real chance to take on the entry level car buyer with the M2 if they get it right. But their record on their ability to actually deliver on time means this will most likely be a missed opportunity, especially if the chinese manufacturers manage to get a foothold.

Then again, owning an M2 may have a badge status in the EV world that sets it apart especially with younger buyers. Im still amazed how many kids recogonise a Tesla over every other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

Musk said on the financial results call this week that the M2 isn’t even a project that’s currently under way, nor will even be announced this year, because “we have too much on our plate”. They manufactured 1 S/X for every 20 3/Y, so they are in reality a 2 model manufacturer for the next few years.

if they announced it tonight, you wouldn’t see an m2 here in Ireland for 3-4 years, so I’d assume you’ll see it here around 2027/8 - by which point we’ll have a lot of options already selling for years in that category.

while the Y might be a sales leader in the US market, there’s no way it will sell more than the base m3 here in Ireland. It’s too expensive to be mass-market.

on the point of kids noticing teslas over other cars, mine do that too, they used to spot Porsches - but I’d describe it as being the same as them being able to recognise an iPhone versus a random android phone.

People keep saying Tesla miss delivery of new cars, the Model 3 was delivered on time and the Model Y six months early, it's the iteration of vehicles that are delayed or slow like current S and X, yes the Cyber/Semi/Roadster2 are delayed but that's to a tiny audience.

Grrrr, picked up for random surfing on the 2022 RWD Model 3 specs that the on board AC charger is 7kW. That's disappointing, maybe it was always so low?

• Advertisement

It's 11kW in Europe and APAC, only it's 7kW in US. This is because in the US all AC charging is single phase. The NA onboard charger for the SR+ is 32a and the LR/P get 48a. Equivalent to 7kW/11kW here respectively.

Advertisement