Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small cracks in rear tyre

Options
  • 28-01-2022 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Don't use the bike for the commute much anymore, mainly weekend spins if I can.

Just giving the bike a once over and noticed these small cracks in the rear. Front is fine, no sidewall cracking.

The bike was mainly doing motorway commutes 300k a week.

Not sure when they were changed last as I got the bike second hand.

Anyway here's a few cross section pics.

And if you were to replace do you replace front and back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My wife had the same nicks in her tyres after driving on shale with sport bike tyres. Would this be something you did ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

@D3V!L Nope, mainly motorways for me, the guy who had it before me was based in Scotland and know he used to off road it a fair bit. Did find some deposits of sand in a few places when I got it first so well possible it was on shale.

Anyway you think there's life left in them or get new ones or did your wife change after spotting similar?

Ta,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

That would explain it so. Providing there's no holes and you have sufficient thread depth you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

On the sidewall of the tyre there should be a date code in an oval it will be next to the DOT what does it say? Usually conti don’t crack like that but it depends on the use and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Will check that out this morning, was thinking about a spin up the mountains (Sally Gap) this morning but woke up to some pretty wild winds there s few mins ago 😬

• Advertisement
Advertisement