Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You would have to think if the Diaz deal gets over the line then it cold spell the end for Mane this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Taki was signed because he had a frankly ludicrous release clause. It was a no brainer for the club who were virtually guaranteed to make money on the deal.

I think he’s a tidy player and I like him a lot, but he’s not near the level of our other forwards. Jota coming in and making the impact he’s made highlights that further. I’m sure he’ll be better off somewhere he can get more game time.

Diaz definitely looks the business, and his signing I think might mean Mane will be off this summer. He’ll be 30 by seasons end and the club might be happy enough to not have him around agitating for bigger numbers akin to Salah if Diaz can settle in. If it happens I’ll be sad to see him go but I’d understand it, he’s been an unreal player for this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's simply not true. Read any of the match day contributions to this thread. Taki has been anonymous, missed sitters and in general, awful, apart from the very rare goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard not to get excited when you watch Diaz's youtube compilations. Looks a quality player. Pace, dribbling ability and can finish. Didn't realise he was joint top scorer at last year's Copa as well. Despite being more a winger than a striker.

Plays on the left usually so looks like Mane's successor potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Signing Diaz makes it difficult for Mane to get a new contract, unless it's at same rate or lower than his current one. Salah too could be offloaded on the back of this signing. Would have liked the Salah contract to be sorted first tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed. He's not been getting games for us and has at best looked ok. If Diaz is coming in, he falls even further down the pecking order. If we need back-up, I would prefer Firmino and Origi quite frankly. I think it's best for the player himself to go and get games. He's a good player and will do well if he steps down a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've always thought Salah will be the one to remain and get the big contract. Mane and Firmino have already peaked, it looks like Salah still hasn't and will be able to maintain a high level for another few years. Firmino will be gone this summer and Mane will run down his contract is my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say it's more likely Bobby will stay and possibly sign a new contract on lower wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well lets hope Julian Ward has the same kind of hit rate as Michael Edwards with his signings.

Hopefully for Ward this is a good statement signing and it does seems like a good deal at £37.5m and add-ons for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm not sold on Diaz based on what I've seen of him, but I suppose one can't argue with the reported financials if they're correct.

Bobby stays and Mane might move on is how I view things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think the club will let Mane run down his contract to be honest. Probably worth more to keep him around for next season rather than whatever nominal fee they could get for a 30 year old with only a year left on his contract.

Just seeing his wages are being reported at £60k a week which if true that really does make the deal even better.

Let him earn big bounces with what he does on the pitch like Bobby, Mane & Salah did.

This also gives him a few months to bed into the squad so no pressure on him to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His price was so low that its not a real disappointment,

I seen it more as a player we took a chanceo but it didn't work out and now we will probably sell him for more than we paid for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Taki was as much a commercial signing, sell jerseys in Japan, as a football one imo

I think Taki did the best he could with the game time he got. Certainly think he acquitted himself well enough. In another reality without the big 3 he might have excelled with enough minutes. Comparing him and Keita I can't have given one cost 7m and the other 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Maddock reported today Mo , Mane & Bobby are all immersed in new contract talks,

Mo & Mane have plenty of good years left & i think Bobby at this stage will be happy to be a squad player here,

• Advertisement

Sign a right winger understudy to Salah in the summer and hang onto Bobby and Mane for one more season that would be some forward line.

Both Mane & Salah turn 30 in a few months.

Mane 29 -Daiz 25 left wing

Bobby 30- Jota 25 forward

Salah 29 - ?? Raphinha 25 right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hope Bobby will be happy to stay on as a squad player, I love the man and everything he has done for us, feel same about Sadio yet I can see Sadio maybe moving elsewhere during the summer if Diaz is successful, rumours he is dating Melissa Reddy so he may want to stay in England if that's the case, sell him to Villa for 60m so... 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Has to be said here that, he'll probably turn out to be a great signing for us given our track record in the transfer market recently, but YouTube compilations are the greatest smokescreens ever. I remember watching Nicolas Pepe compilations on YouTube when he was linked with us and was really disappointed when Arsenal signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd agree. I think Firmino and Mane will get offers but whether they like what is on the table is the question. And if they don't sign them they will be kept and allowed to run out their contract unless someone comes in and offers something substantial and it would have to be from a club they'd want to go to. A Newcastle for example is not going to interest them while their offer would be likely be attractive to Liverpool.

I definitely wasn't expecting this signing but that is the way with Liverpool signings, zero to hundred in a matter of hours. But it does make it tough for Minamino and Origi, neither could get much time when we had four attackers, now it's five so they'll be getting close to zero time. Really sets us up for having a crack at all three cup competitions and see what we can do in the league. Summer time now is all about adding two midfielders please.

Being greedy now I want them to sign this highly rated Fulham kid now for £5m.

• Advertisement

Well Klopp had him play AM of the midfield 3 this season when he was playing and he looked very comfortable in that role.

Maybe long longterm replacement for Hendo.

At 19 you could still sign a player for 5 seasons before Elliott is even turns 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hopefully no hole in the heart or a brother who needs a squad place or a late bid from China 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we should in no way let sadio leave unless sadio wants that, hes rarely injured,causes absolute havoc against everyone, arjen robben comes to mind,winning big trophies well into his 30's .. its too soon for sadio to leave imo.

This might light a fire underneath Mané. Could benefit him bigtime

• Advertisement

Yep, and City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, United, Newcastle would all take him in a heartbeat

We've come so far under Klopp,

We actually won that game, away from home in Premier League.

Milner scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Whats Can up to these days?

At Dortmund nearly 3 years, and plays constantly.

We complain about squad depth, yet first sign of a signing and we talk of who is going out.😀 We really need to keep Mane and Firmino, and rotate more.

I don’t think anyone expects Diaz to augment what is already there, it is more likely that he is being signed as a replacement for either or both Origi/Taki, and to eventually replace Mane. The conversation about them leaving has been ongoing for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We have a huge squad, the problem is too many are either not fit when needed or not good enough. It needs trimming.

Defenders - TAA, Williams, VVD, Matip, Konate, Gomez, Phillips, Robertson, Tsimikas - 9 defenders

Midfielders - Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones, Elliott - 8 midfielders

Attackers - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Origi, Minamino - 6 attackers (now 7)

That's 23 outfield players that would now be seen as part of the senior squad, Diaz makes it 24. City in comparison have 17 outfield players.

We could get rid of Phillips, Milner, one of Ox/Keita, Minamino, Origi and be fine numbers wise, we just can't trust all of the midfielders to be fit when needed. Summer we get two good/robust midfielders in with 5 or 6 fringe/constantly unfit players out and we are flying into next season.

That's the crux of it, need more players like Gini and Hendo at his peak who can stay fit and are reliable. Don't need anything special in midfield beyond that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

When he's not playing the role of a football player he can be found designing his own clothing range. Given his lack of availability for the first half of the season he must have a great Spring/Summer 2022 collection in development.

He declared himself unfit for international call up last year and his international career appears to be over at the ripe old age of 28. He's now a utility player at Dortmund and fills in for the likes of Witsel, Bellingham, Dahoud, and Reus on occasion. Witsel no longer has the legs to anchor the Dortmund midfield and Can has repeatedly demonstrated that he is not the player to succeed him - he has a great engine but still suffers from a lack of awareness, is prone to crazy errors of judgement and lunging tackles. Dortmund were willing to listen to offers for him last summer but there were no takers. It's rumored that Denis Zakaria is lined up to replace Witsel/Can in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

He has played less than 900 minutes in all competitions this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unfortunately he has nowhere near enough pace for that role for us. Think that’s ultimately why Klopp sees him as a midfielder, making the same positional transition as he made with Gini.

Don’t know how reliable this site is, but they claim to have pictures of Diaz undergoing his Liverpool medical with an announcement imminent.

This is the list of Non Home Grown players, if Diaz is registered, Karius will have to be jettisoned at the same time.

Non HG (17)

Adrian

Alisson

Andrew Robertson

Diogo Jota

Divock Origi 

Fabinho

Ibrahima Konate 

Joel Matip

Loris Karius

Konstantinos Tsimikas

Mohamed Salah

Nobby Keïta

Roberto Firmino

Sadio Mane

Takumi Minamino

Thiago

Virgil van Dijk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Sums him up fairly well. The guy obviously has ability, every now and then he'd pull something special out his backside, but he wasn't a consistent enough attacking threat to be a real presence breaking into the top 3rd, hadn't the passing range or patience to a be a playmaker and is too bad at defending to be a defensive midfielder.

Just not really good enough at any one thing to nail down a single role in midfield. And the less said about him playing center back the better.

We haven't been at a loss for not renewing his contract all those years back.

I think we were at a loss by him not renewing.

He is a talented player and if he had stayed I have no doubt Klopp would have improved his positional play/contribution to the team. I think he would have given at least as much as Naby, Milner and could have played in defence when needed, if memory serves me right he played there quite often and helped us qualify for/get to a CL final. Also, there is no doubt Liverpool would have benefitted from a decent transfer fee if he was sold while under contract.

Its reported Juve incurred a £16m cost when he joined, I suspect most of that went to Can, hard to refuse that type of signing on fee, I shudder to think what PSG/RM might offer Mo if he decided to leave in 18mths, that of course is something FSG will no doubt be aware of.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Never really seen him play, but he's obviously the next best player in the world.

Diaz Friday bítches!

On that last Salah bit, one of the rumours of his requests was Liverpool further freshening the attacking lineup around him to make sure we stayed competitive, which hopefully bringing in Diaz goes some way to appeasing. If we were going into next season with the possibility of Diaz 25, Jota 25, and Mo up top, he'd be very assured of proper long term attacking quality to keep challenging for the length of any new contract.

Bet the Colombia Peru match will get a serious boost in viewership, with Liverpool fans around the world tuning in to take a peek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I imagine he’ll inherit the Luis Suarez song fairly quickly, same first name and a catchy two syllable surname. This deal was always meant to happen.

I’m humming it already. 😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement