Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep the cat out the garden

• 28-01-2022 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I don’t want to hurt him.

Hi everyone

Thank you for your helps.

Please don’t suggest things I already say in the top message they didn’t work. Don’t waist time. No citric etc.

I have having a issues with neighbours cat coming to poop in my garden. I plant some daffodil and twolips and some strawberries plants to get the harvest in autumn.

I see the cat pop in the soil when I water the flowers and check the plants. 

I saw my neighbour cat coming in and I see it with my own eyes pooing, spraying, and scratching the soil and scraping the branch of my small apples trees.

Its not acceptable to me.

Thankfully no fruit on the tree but when summer come and is fruit then spray and poo is toxic and the washing won’t help it.

My daughter 6 years old likes do the garden and I’m afraid the poo will poison her. Neighbour won’t listen she don’t care. Cat is free and independent.

I already try ultrasound, bottle of water spray gun, citric skins, lavender and pepper and nothing works. I also try vick for nose and doesn’t work.

Sprinkler not going to be option. The house tap is at back of garden so I will get soaked when I use my owned garden. So I can’t even turn it on or off at my own pleasure.

Please help me with suggestions. I hope this is the write category to post in.

Thank you all. Good bless you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I got some ultrasonic deterrents from Amazon last year and they have worked wonders. They don't hurt cats but makes it too uncomfortable for them. Keeps the rabbits away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

Read top message please

please read it

i already try it

All I can say is that they are the only solution, of many I tried, that worked.

But, carry on. Your aggressive attitude doesn't encourage any discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

cayenne chilli powder. It can be bought in kilo bags and you will probably need a fair bit. Keep putting it around where the cat is pooping for a couple of weeks. Keep it freshly topped up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I suggest sitting the cat down and outlining your concerns in a clear and articulate manner.

Seriously OP. Just because a method didn’t work for you doesn’t mean that it’s bad advice. You won’t get any responses if you dismiss well meant advice that worked for others in such a dismissive way.

I say the things I try in the op that didn’t work and then people repeat it.

like they not reading op

People are writing down stuff that worked for them. Or at least they did, because I don’t think they’ll bother any more.

I’m sad that my suggestion wasn’t acknowledged or moaned about.

• Advertisement

Did you not read in the OP that they tried pepper. Honestly!!!

I assumed it was black pepper. If it was cayenne, then I doubt they were applying enough frequently enough.

Cayenne pepper in powder form. Obviously not suitable on wet or windy days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,

I may stand to be corrected here but I'm not sure English is the OP's first language, and therefore the intended tone of their posts may be getting lost in translation, or misinterpreted.

I don't feel they're intending to be aggressive or rude, so can we please cut them a bit of slack.

All posters, please remember that it is a requirement of this forum that people are respectful towards one another, even if they have opposing viewpoints.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in the same boat. Neighbour got two kittens and they're roaming and leaving scat in the garden (even though our neighbour has scat beds for them in their own garden) Problem is we've hedgehogs (who we like and keep the slugs down) who are currently hibernating under our woodpile but are pretty active over the summer months.

We have young kids too. I'm guessing we're going to have to keep what we're doing, bag it and bin it.

You could try lion poo. Many swear by it.

A good wash will clean any fruit or vegetables. Try adding some baking soda to the water you wash them in, if you prefer.

Teach your daughter to get into the habit of washing hands thoroughly after being in the garden, or get her some gardening gloves. There are also rats, mice, foxes, rabbits, birds and god knows what other wildlife urinating and defecating in your garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

@John_Rambo I mentioned this in the OPs original thread and they've tried it but it might help you. We use Get Off granules. It's a citrus gel that you spread in flower beds etc. It's worked well for us so far but will need to be topped up.

My dad swears by used tea bags with drops of olbas oil on them.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks Jellybear. just don't want to put off the hogs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had great success with the ultrasonic ones too. Did you play around with the settings on them? My garden is quite small and I have one on either side of the drive.. I’d assume for a bigger space I’d need a few more.Did you try changing the frequency? The first night I used them my camera got a very satisfying video of the perpetrator fleeing the garden lol

• Advertisement

I had try these already.

Maybe cat is deaf haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

I used clear plastic sheets, 4m X 3m to cover the “favourite” part of the garden the cat used. Cat moved to another part, I covered it with another sheet. Eventually cat got fed up and went elsewhere, to someone else’s garden. Then another cat came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi Mod

I'm not questioning Your post. However, I think this 'person' has good enough English when they post this & check post #72:

It is My DECEASED Mum he/she was talking about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

WishUWereHere,

Please don't cross post from one forum to the next to try to undermine a poster. If you've an issue with the way someone is posting, please report it.

Regardless, my post still stands. I'm not disputing how good the poster's english is, rather I'm suggesting that the tone of one's language, when it's not one's primary language, can come across as unintentionally brusque

Also, may I remind you that discussing a mod's actions on-thread is not permitted.

Thanks,

DBB

Advertisement