Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mapfre warranties

Options
  • 14-01-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have searched boards and haven’t found any more recent threads on this topic or any proper experience of it.

Recently I’ve been trying to buy a used car in Ireland from dealers. The 4 garages I have gone to in 3 counties all were offering Mapfre warranties and made clear that there were a number of benefits with them but I’m not fully sold, especially from older threads on here.

I only once had to claim bring a car back to a garage during warranty and it was a SIMI garage with their own warranty and it was great and no hassle (10 year old car at the time). I’d like to have the same reassurance again but it seems like everyone is doing these external warranties now.

Does anyone have any experience of the mapfre warranty (or similar)? Should I steer clear of garages offering these instead of a warranty specifically with them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my mapfre warranty paid for a new air con condensor and regas all done with kia parts at a main dealer.

no prob with mapfre but getting a dealer to do it was trickier

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hardlylikely

no prob with mapfre but getting a dealer to do it was trickier
    How do you mean? Did you try with the dealer you purchased the car from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The problem is Mapfre will tell you that they work with every workshop in the country, which is a stretch of the truth. They will work with every workshop in the country; who will work for a max rate of €60 per hour, which is effectively nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Irish law says that the dealer selling the car is responsible for offering and covering the warranty, they can offer a Mapfre warranty if they like but legally the burden is on the dealer warranty wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭db

First of all the dealer will insist you sign a form saying you have no warranty from the dealer. It will be phrased in a way that makes it look ok but basically they want to have nothing to do with you later.
    Secondly you will be paying the cost of the warranty plus a bit more because the dealer has to make some profit.
    If you look at the small print you will find that the Mapfre warranty does not cover you for the first two weeks.
    I almost got caught by this before but I spotted the two weeks clause and insisted on a separate document from the dealer for those two weeks. The car overheated two days later and needed major work so I was covered.
    I had a turbo problem later which was partly covered by Mapfre but I had to pay some of the cost to clean the sump and replace the oil. The turbo went again and I had to use the small claims court to get Mapfre to pay for it as they refuse to cover the same problem twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

How do you mean? Did you try with the dealer you purchased the car from?

he wasn't able to do the work (small car dealer)

the two kia dealers near me are authorised mapfre workshops one is also opel and they were rammed with recalls and the other did the work just a bit of a pain really. but had to take it up to get assessed and then again to get the work done.

so only one experience with it I'm sure there will be plenty with bad experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

I got a water pump replaced under a Mapfre warranty. Brought back to the dealer I bought from and they did the work. No hassle other than getting the receipt for the job which wasnt available until they ran it through the warranty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mintoe wrote: »
    Irish law says that the dealer selling the car is responsible for offering and covering the warranty, they can offer a Mapfre warranty if they like but legally the burden is on the dealer warranty wise

Yep. It’s in addition to your consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I bought a car in the 3rd week in December, the stop/start never worked. I put it down to the car not meeting the very specific parameters required. Now have an ABS failure which was diagnosed by my regular mechanic who also said the battery was whacked hence the failure of the start/stop function. Mapfre will cover the ABS issue (hopefully) but not the battery which will cost around 200 Euro. I contacted the dealer & they have washed their hands of the battery problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s a tough one, a battery is nearly a consumable, and to be fair it is actually working.

If the car is starting as normal and there are no other side effects, I wouldn’t be too worried apart from the probable need to change the battery down the road.

What car is it? Some cars can show errors when the stop-start has been mapped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

I had a Mapfre warranty once and they wouldn’t cover an oil leak. Not a good experience and I had to pay for them to diagnose the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

It's a Volvo S60 D4 automatic. As far as I can see if the battery is depleted the stop/start won't kick in. Modern batteries are an expensive item, not like the old days. The car is starting okay but getting a warning message on the instrument cluster.

Advertisement