Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭sk8board

2021 numbers are in:

“Prior to the pandemic and Brexit, 108,000 cars a year were imported from the UK.

But this fell to 74,900 in 2020 and 47,034 last year, a drop of 56% from 2019 levels.”

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Those are figures Revenue must me looking at......they're surely not getting the same money in from tax coming from new ev vehicles being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Getting more? it was possible that no vat was collected on 108000 cars prior and now they get vat on 47000 cars and some duty also,

EVs only make up 8% of registrations last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Are The northern Irish cars gone up in price like in the Republic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I suspect so! Any search I've done recently in luxury stuff from NI have been off the charts! Rough estimate for me would be maybe 25% higher than last Summer.

In GB, for sure prices are gone crazy! Buy back companies are offering hugely higher prices than a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Any idea on how the VRT works on a crew cab van, the likes of a VW transporter. Is there a difference between a van with a bulkhead vs no bulkhead. Seen somewhere that the seating area needs to be separate to get the cheaper % rate on VRT and the 333 tax.

Also, if I got a dealer in the UK mainland to play ball and zero rate the VAT, that's grand. With the Norths agreement with the EU, can a dealer in the North zero rate a private person in the South?. Also, seen some vans up the North that would have been first registered in the North before 2020, would VRT work the same as importing a car, so just wondering what would/could be the best option. Was talking to someone and they said why don't I buy a regular van and convert it, but I'd like to have a factory built van.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Big time, bought a 2014 car at the end of 2019 just before Brexit. Same car even now in 2022 is still £2500 to £3000 more expensive than back in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Will Ireland eventually run out of recent 2nd hand cars to buy considering the imports have halved in 1 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

What if you import a UK car to say France and then to Ireland would you avoid some of the import tax? just a thought but could be messy

I know europe is left hand drive any nice car european sales site where you can find RHD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

You have to pay 23% VAT and 10% customs if you import a car from the UK to France.

France is apart of the EU as well you know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Import duty is applicable through out the EU member states. You would have to pay it at entry to France too.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even if that were so you would have to live or be resident in France to register the car there.

You wouldn’t actually have to register the car there. For example before the UK left the EU you could get a car shipped from Japan to Southhampton and pay 20% VAT instead of 23%, and then get it shipped to Ireland VAT free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Custom rate is the same for all in the customs union for that product, that goes for countries that are in the customs union but not in the EU, for example some of Turkey's product are in the custom's union but not in the single market (i think non agri products), certain goods can be landed and duty paid and shipped anywhere in the customs union without paying customs again. It suites the EU as we can do a deal with another country and every one who signed up to the customs union would have to accept it.

Single market Vat should only be paid once, I am not so knowledgeable about it.

You do bring up an interesting point. Land the car in France pay 20% VAT and duty if any, then ship the car here. Luxembourg has a VAT rate of 17%

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has got any advice for me on how to handle my situation?

• Bought a car privately from my sister in law in northern ireland. Car in NI pre 2020
    • Want to bring car to VRT centre to pay VRT/Get plates -- however I am currently 3rd party on my dads insurance on his car. Wondering therefore
    • Do I get insurance in the north for a few days/a week until this is sorted?
    • Can I get insurance in ROI with the northern plates with the view I am to import the car in a few weeks?

Additionally wondering if anyone could confirm if my cals are correct - I was getting a figure in and around 6000 on the calc I did - wasn't sure if this was correct or not - just wanting a baseline before going into the centre so I know I'm not getting done.

• Audi A4 Avant Sline, 55000 miles , 2L engine, reg July 2015 diesel
    • NOx 0.057 g/km

Any advice on above would be much appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Post edited by greentea is just wrong on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Sorry forgot to mention that - July 2015 & diesel

Based on the informationyou gave.

As for the insurance, maybe get quotes and when you find one you can live with , talk to them about the fact that you're importing it, and will supply the Irish plates when you get them. In my experience, companies give you a month to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I have been resident in the UK for 10 + years.i am hoping to move back to Ireland in the summer time and want to bring a family car back. I do not yet own a car here and never have and fear I may have left it too late. I have done some reading on this and through this forum, so apologies if I missed this.

I understand I would need to own the car for 6 months and evidence driving etc. I can't sell the car for a year on return. At least that was my interpretation of Transfer of residence (TOR) (revenue.ie)

Is the above correct? If I bought the car on 14th Feb (my wife will be delighted as we pack the kids into a cut and shut 2 seater :)) would I be able to bring it back from 14th August, or are there any variations to that?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe you are correct.

I helped someone sending documents to revenue a few months back re such a transfer. You need to show proof that you resided there and are now permanently moving to Ireland. So UK utility bills for numerous years. Evidence of work in UK via bank accounts. Evidence of ceasing employment there then similar relating to Ireland - Irish address etc.

Re the car itself, be sure to have purchase receipt in your own name with your current address etc more than 6 months before you intend to move. Tax and insurance also from UK for the 6 months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the implications of an Irish person working and living in NI importing a car from GB? Would the customs and vat be liable immediately on import to the north?

If considered resident in NI, and not intending to move the car just to sell it or use it commercially, there should be no vat/customs duty implications.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Tricky one here. I'm a UK resident for the last 5 years, but about a year ago I began working remotely for an Irish company using my Irish second home address. I return home about 3 months a year.

Later this year, I hope to move home permanently and avail of the VRT and VAT exemptions for my car. What are the chances that revenue wont grant me an exemption without employment shown at my UK address? I'll have utility records, ATM records, house leases and everything else

Unlikely I would imagine. Even if your work was in the UK, I think if they see any transactions from Ireland on your bank statement they will cancel your application

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Meaning someone couldn't visit family and shop in Monaghan if based in Fermanagh?

The issue of residence is an issue that is a feature of modern life, given the level of remote working that underpins today's economies. I would have thought that the location of the organisation for whom you work is a much less relevant consideration than the place where you physically park your bum while doing that work. So, if you park it 9/12 in UK while working remotely and have a 3/12 stint in Irl, you are still a UK resident.

Try and see how well your situation fits into these considerations:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Hi all,

How would a used car sold in England but which was first registered in NI work VAT and customs wise?

Its on NI plates, and the dealer tells me it was originally a NI vehicle.

Head is melted! Thanks!

Advertisement