Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On CE Scheme and still getting brought into Turas Nua.

• 13-07-2019 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. Just wondering if anybody else has the same experience as me where you are working on a ce scheme but still being forced to go into turas nua meetings? It’s difficult to find the time and is stressing me out immensely and ruining my confidence. If I don’t show up to the meeting can they still cut my money like they said they can even though it’s not the department that pays me currently or is just an idle threat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Hi. Just wondering if anybody else has the same experience as me where you are working on a ce scheme but still being forced to go into turas nua meetings? It’s difficult to find the time and is stressing me out immensely and ruining my confidence. If I don’t show up to the meeting can they still cut my money like they said they can even though it’s not the department that pays me currently or is just an idle threat?

Ask the supervisor of your CE Scheme to deal with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 LW3112

If you were with Turas Nua when you took up a CE scheme, you still need to engage with Turas Nua for the remainder of the 12 month jobpath period.

Whether they can cut your money is a really difficult matter. Technically, you are not a jobseeker anymore, you are being paid for 19.5 hours of work, so there really is no way for this to be done so - and according to someone i know who raised the matter with the DSP a few months ago, this hasn't been an issue that they have ever dealt with, so who knows what would happen in practice?

As it is a precondition of being allowed to do the CE scheme in the first place, the DSP could and probably would tell your supervisor that you have to start engaging with the TN appointments, rather than cut your payment. Your supervisor can do nothing about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SlipperyFella

I'm in the same position now, did you stop going and did they cut any money?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommtommy

Any answers to this question yet? 2020 now so situation must have arisen again at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SlipperyFella

Tommtommy wrote: »
    Any answers to this question yet? 2020 now so situation must have arisen again at some stage.

Yeah I just stopped going in, they rang me and sent me letters but since I technically wasn't on the dole anymore they couldn't do anything to my money and just stopped contacting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommtommy

Thanks Slipperyfella.
    On CE now and keep getting called to meetings on days Ive told them I am at work on my scheme. I have had to cancel meetings lots of times over this and I think they are getting annoyed with me. I have been polite and cooperative with them and have done as they asked over the past 5 months.

My personal (whatever they're called) was quite aggressive at the last meeting and threatened me with the "Your payment will be docked" routine. I think I am done with them now and will do as you did.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Just dump them
    I did the same a year ago when I got on Ce
    They bothering me for almost a year with phone calls and letters but never answered them
    They cant take the money away so will see what happens when I go off the scheme but think nothinghappens

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Investigator1

Please find below an official DSP response to a government ministers Parliamentary Question just a few days ago.

I refer to representation on behalf of a constituent asking if payment can be cut or reduced if a community employment participant fails or refuses to engage with Turas Nua and if the Department of Social Protection can legally and lawfully cut or reduce a person’s payment while they are engaging with the training employment for the 19.5 hours every week whilst on the community employment scheme.

The Community Employment (CE) Scheme is an active labour market programme designed to provide eligible long-term unemployed people and other disadvantaged persons with an opportunity to engage in useful work within their communities on a temporary, fixed term basis. The programme is delivered through independent CE sponsoring authorities that operate in the community and voluntary sector. 

The Department of Social Protection (DSP) provides funding for CE schemes for training and material costs, in addition to CE participant and CE supervisor wages. CE sponsoring authorities receive this funding in line with their annual contract with DSP. CE participants are employed by and receive a weekly wage from the CE sponsor, they are not employees of or paid by of DSP. 

As participants on CE schemes receive a wage from their employer (the sponsoring authority) and not a payment from DSP, the Department could not reduce or stop their payment for the reason mentioned in the question.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Sorry for dragging this up but is there any details on the Parliamentary Question, who asked it and what date ? I looked but can't find any refernce to it on the Oireachtas website

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Investigator1

Sorry for the delay & my apologies also as I asked for a PQ but this was an official response from DSP, not an answer to a PQ.

I've had a similar response from the department (different people responding) but the facts remain the same.

I advised my "adviser" that I would no longer be participating in the programme & emailed copies of the responses to him, advising him to advise Turas Nua that I would no longer be participating as I needed a letter on headed paper stating they would have my payment reduced or cut in order for me to move forward against them and raise the matter further. needless to say I was never again contacted nor did I get a "threatening" letter from them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Slightly different query to above but new account so can't start new threads.

I am on a TUS (similar to community employment) scheme and have being receiving weekly payments paid directly into my bank account. Payments usually arrive on Thursdays and I receive a payslip by email the Wednesday. Today I got an emailed payslip suggesting I will be receiving a double payment tomorrow. I assume earlier payment is due to bank holidays this week but why the double payment. Anyone similar? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If I'm correct, your actually paid directly by TUS 🤔 at a guess i would say because of the odd week that's in it, they've just decided to process next weeks payroll this week and you'll get a double payment this week and none next week .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Thanks Dempo. Yes I think that is probably what has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's an odd week with two public holidays and as payroll if done weekly its generally processed on a wed/Thursday so I'm just guessing it's easier to do the double week etc 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement