Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Red light is also used quite often for low light conditions as it effects your night vision less than any other colours like white or blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a red light from a lighthouse. Need to get out more…..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Map of Dál Fiatach , I think

What side of the road cars drive on . As you can see, the only places that drive on the right in general, are where the brits were.

Left hand drive is red

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

Oh and Japan, but in general most of the world drive on the left.

British Empire also abided by this law. This is why countries such as India, Australia, and the former British colonies in Africa keep left as well. But why does Japan keep to the left?

That article is mixing up its right and left

They started driving their trains on the left thanks to the british and the rest of their transport system followed suit.

Although Japan was never part of the British Empire, its traffic also keeps to the left. This practice goes back all the way to the Edo period (1603-1867) when Samurai ruled the country (same sword and scabbard deal as before), but it wasn't until 1872 that this unwritten rule became official. That was the year when Japan's first railway was introduced.

Three countries approached the Japanese government to help them build a railway system. These three countries were America, France, and Britain. In the end, Britain won out. In 1872 the first Japanese railway was up and running thanks to the British. A massive network of railways spread out from there, all of which were left-side running. And as we all know, Japan loves their trains. If American or French railways had been built instead, Japan would probably be driving on the right side of the road today.

Sweden used to drive on the left, everyone should have changed to the right when they did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

1/3 of all humans live in a country that drives on the left, so it's not as rare as you think.

Doesn't really mean much when 1 country, India, makes up the bulk of that number

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having watched the Top Gear special* in India, I noted that they drive on both sides of the road there!

* probably not entirely representative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Macao drives on the left too - hard to see on that map. It's a former Portuguese protectorate/colony in China, but because they got their cars from Hong Kong, they took their side of the road from them too.

Samoa was the last country to change sides, changing from right to left in 2009.

The ancient Romans also drove on the left.

And having been in a car in India at night, I can confirm driving in India is batshit crazy, and great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If we are going to change over, we should do it only with lorries at first to see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"If American or French railways had been built instead, Japan would probably be driving on the right side of the road today." - um, no. French railways run on the left. American railways run on the right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there any truth in the hoary old chestnut that the reason the 'rest' of the world drives on the right is that napoleon was left handed?

the theory goes that it's natural to ride your horse on the left, as if anyone attacks you, your dominant hand (for right handed people) is the one you can then defend yourself with, with your sword. but napoleon was left handed, so insisted on riding on the right.

edit: i just realised that the sword/horse thing is covered in the article linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

Or that a gentleman holds his ladyfriend's hand with his left hand so that he can draw his sword with his right hand to defend her. Also when people threw waste from their homes onto open sewers in the street in medieval times, it struck the gentleman whilst his lady was protected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Best explanation I ever heard was this: The Romans drove the chariots on the left, so as to shake hands and show they were not holding a weapon. Fair enough.

In the late Middle Ages the French developed large carts which were pulled by a team of 6-8 oxen, sometimes more. These were efficteively the trucks or artics of their day and were responsible for a lot of trade.

They were driven by a man sitting on the back left ox (the oxen were in pairs). They sat on the back left as most of them were right handed and it was easier to control the reins like this.

If they ever met each other on the road then they passed on the right. This was, due to them sitting on the left they could see a lot better if they were going to touch carts or not. So they typically stayed on the right and smaller, faster carts and horses took to passing on the left.

Napoleon standardised this to make it easier for his armies and to avoid confusion.

No idea how true it is, but it made sense to me when I heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Something I also heard was that Napolean was left-handed, so when on horseback and passing others, the convention was his cavalry would pass on the right in case he needed to draw his sword.

Your take sounds more convincing though.

Not sure where Connaught is, perhaps a hotel in London, but there are plenty of red squirrels in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From Wikipedia (bolding theirs):

Connacht (/ˈkɒnɔːt, ˈkɒnə(x)t/KON-awt, KON-ə(kh)t;[4][5][6]Irish: Connachta[ˈkɔn̪ˠəxt̪ˠə] or Cúige Chonnacht[ˌkuːɟə ˈxɔn̪ˠəxt̪ˠ]), or Connaught, is one of the provinces of Ireland, in the west of Ireland. Until the ninth century it consisted of several independent major Gaelic kingdoms (Lúighne, Uí Maine, and Iar Connacht).

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn't Henry Ford left handed and that's the way he built the Model-T ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To see the scale of the Tonga eruption overlaid on other countries really blows my mind, its astonishing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I briefly lived in Enniskerry years ago. At the time, depending on which road you used to get to the village, there were three different spellings of the name as gaeilge on the signs.

Connaught is the old sasanach name of the province. It's akin to referring to Offaly as Kings County or Cobh as Queenstown.

I don't see that comparison. They didn't rename it, they used the same name with a slightly different spelling. That's very different from referring to Cobh as Queenstown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep - it's actually akin to referring to Offaly as Offaly rather Uibh Fálaigh.

(I still never use the -aught spelling though)

Advertisement