Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He was caught by the liathróidí and after a few weeks of denial, disowning his friend and threatening to sue, then never, the coalition were letting him off anyway but I reckon they wanted him to grovel a little to make it look like they did accountability.

By some of the theories on here we should be thanking him. Once again the Varadkar fanboys and the man himself can't stay on the same page.

If it was legit and the NAGP where in the loop all official like, why did his friend have to WhatsApp and ask and why did Varadkar apologise 'for the manner'? If it was on the up and up, what would the manner matter? Shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This was posted 15 months ago, yet we still have posters claiming that the Official Secrets Act was broken.

This explanation of why confidential doesn't always mean confidential was also posted 15 months ago, yet we still have posters claiming it was confidential without being able to explain why.

I think "confidential doesn't always mean confidential" sums up the Varadkar defence.

Ask the Irish Times.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has denied he wants the Garda investigation into his leaking of a confidential report completed due to the impact it could have on his transition back to the office of the Taoiseach.

All we can do is reference what's reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the Sunday Indo (23 January 2022), Ali Bracken and Jody Corcoran wrote:

"Though Mr Varadkar has been accused by political opponents of breaching the Official Secrets Act, gardaí are investigating whether he breached section 7 of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act, 2018."

That section states it's a crime to use confidential info obtained in the course of one's work for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for oneself or for someone else.

What I read on Sunday muddies the waters of what I thought this case was about, i.e. official secrets.

The detectives have said the probe can't and won't be rushed. But when they're investigating any case, they stay on the case and don't move on to another case until that work is done, don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's far more serious for Varadkar and it is no suprise that he and FG supporters are trying to get ahead of the story.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"That section states it's a crime to use confidential info obtained in the course of one's work for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for oneself or for someone else."

I had seen that they were investigating corruption before, as it is some sort of minor offence/infraction to leak any documents in general, but to leak them for any gain, is far more serious (mentioned a few times in the thread).

However, as it states consideration or advantage for oneself or for someone else, I would guess that if it could be proven that it could have given the NAGP an advantage, if they hadn't imploded shortly after, or even if "Leo always delivers" can be interpreted as an advantage for Leo by members of the NAGP over other candidates when the time comes to cast their vote, then he would find himself in hot water.

But obviously not as cut and dried as that. A lot more things to be taken into consideration and investigated. But they would be two of the more basic for the world to see.

Interesting to see how the leader across the water is viewed, compared to here when they are seen to be under investigation, often described as an embarrassment, serious and deeply uncomfortable, for any leader of a party that prides itself on being the guarantor of law and order.

I take it now that the false narrative that Varadkar broke the Official Secrets Act has been dropped?

You champion that claim more than anyone else. What do you think?

I think that you guys have been sussed on your misinterpretation of the Official Secrets Act and are moving on to another cause, that of the Prevention of Corruption Act. Problem is your protestations that he broke that law are tinged with the credibility of the boy who cried wolf.

• Advertisement

I think it has always been about corruption. Because some people here may have quoted the secrets act would not make a jut of difference to the investigation.

However, Leo's calims that it was or wasn't a contract, his rejection of the claim that he leaked documents, quickly followed by an apology for giving confidential documents to his friend - and the actual fact that he DID do all of the above, most likely would have an effect.

I think he's hoping that if he changes his story often enough it may somehow help his case.

'You guys'?

You bang on about these claims in the hope they are debunked so you can claim hollow victory.

Do you think anyone falls for this?

I never said he broke the law. You are falling for FG PR and spin where every government critic is bias and all the same. Its not reality.

He did what he did and the coalition and his own party let him. Thats the damage. The criminal investigation makes for good theatre watching his defender's tie themselves in knots

Repetition of the was it or wasn't it a contract despite it being obvious all the way through at every stage what it was,indeed pedanticism exposed, you repeat yet again your re-inventing a radio interview clarification as 'changes of story' have you any new material at all ?

I was repeating it there, to make a point, and as I said at the end of it, I believe he does so in the hope that it somehow helps him.

It is a relevant point, but likely won't help him.

A bit like 'confidential isn't always confidential' or 'he apologised for the manner he leaked not the leak'?

The reason it is so difficult to get an honest debate around here is that people keep putting up discredited arguments such as that Leo broke the OSA, that the document was a confidential government document, and that he apologised for leaking a document to a friend, all of which have been repeatedly shown to be falsehoods, and all of which are repeated by the same posters ad nauseum.

And here we go again with the repeated falsehoods.

If only those falsehoods were permanently put to bed, and not repeated like a broken clock, with the posters admitting they are wrong, we might then be able to get down to discussion about the issues around the Prevention of Corruption Act.

You claimed i said he broke the law and the osa. You lied. And you've the cheek to criticise others.

He leaked to his friend to ingratiate himself with the NAGP lobby. It was confidential and not available to the NAGP outside of Leo's friend asking for a favour and Leo obliging by leaking.

A couple of days ago,the obvious was explained about the radio interview

It was also stated the usual suspects would ignore and just repeat the same made up stuff again a few pages later

If only the weather was as predictable

You need new material

Badly

I am prepared to discuss and debate the merits of whether there is a potential offence under the Corruption Act if the discredited arguments are dropped. However, it seems that some posters are determined to maintain those falsehoods. As long as people keep maintaining that he apologised for leaking, that he broke the OSA, and that the document was a confidential government document, then there is no point addressing the other issues until those falsehoods are dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Your dear leader is potentially in a lot more trouble if this legislation is driving the investigation. Go read it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I know all about it, check back earlier in the thread, where I discussed it at length. That wasn’t a new revelation.

First, would love to see where these were proven to be falsehoods. The documents had to be confidential, if they weren't marked as such, then somebody else would be in trouble (not as much as Leo maybe).

I have never mentioned the OSA, not once.

I have not seen whatever was posted a couple of days ago, where was it explained? By another poster on here, or by Leo?

Hopefully more 'material' will show itself soon.

The main clown in this circus performance seems to be incapable of going too long without adding another bungle to his act, so maybe it will be very soon.

By definition, once the IMO had a copy, it was not a confidential government document, and therefore not covered by either the Cabinet Handbook or the OSA, and had no particular legal standing as confidential.

A confidential negotiation document between two parties can't exist? Give over. Ever hear of two parties working out a contract? Some job applications are confidential ffs.

This is gas.

That is nonsense.

It was a draft agreement. Of course the IMO had a copy of it. How else would they decide whether or not things were going the right way for them?

It was a confidential document between them.

Yeah yeah yeah...you didn't see replies in which you were quoted

The makey uppy knows no bounds

Handy approach I suppose if your game is ad nauseum repetition

Except for the fact that that game is up

I could honestly not care less if you think I saw a post or not (or if I was quoted) - incidentally new boards layout makes it near impossible to follow anything, always at 99.

No game is up. The very funny thing I find, is the 'Pro Leo' gang are so unoriginal, that you would even stoop to accuse others of what had to be pointed out numerous times to make you stop.

I rarely repeat, but if I do, it is at least, relevant. Not some stupid nonsense.

I can repeat it again..

Leo said 'It is not a contract, it is a contract, it is not a contract, you and I know what a contract it, it is not a contract, it is a contract.' 🤡

Or something to that effect. He may also have finished up with his trademark derp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Yes it was dropped a few hundred pages back.

I see jmcc has changed his mumblings from whatever it used to be to 'ahead of the story' and 'FG supporters'. Suppose after a year he had to change what he kept repeating to himself.

The Official Secrets Act line was given up somewhere around this time

I am impressed that the conversation has drifted back to corruption, because that was the only meat to this business in the first place. This thread wholly failed to establish gain beyond the threadbare argument that Fine Gael was afraid of GPs saying nasty things about Fine Gael to their patients if they kept freezing NAGP out of negotiations, a threat that Fine Gael took so seriously that they kept freezing them out of negotiations. I'm going to guess that the thread will soon revert to people just saying random things 'because it is important for it to be said' (i.e. threadbumping) after this point.

For those who cannot remember (because it was 300 pages ago) the reason for NAGP being frozen out of negotiations was retaliation by Fine Gael for NAGP's opposition to the Free Medical Cards for under 6s. NAGP blamed this for their serious (and ultimately fatal) financial straits.

Personally I think Fine Gael's high handed attitude in relation to the Medical Cards is a serious matter, as was the lack of competition for the GP contracts, but nobody apparently is interested in that, presumably because it is to do with policy and aspects that affect medical care in this state, and can't be used to crudely bludgeon Varadkar. Hoping to polish this turd of a story into a legal silver bullet to slay Varadkar is probably not the best strategy when the handling of the children's hospital is something that is clearly visible, actually matters, and the public is interested in.

And what is the legal status of that document under the OSA? Nothing.

And what is its administrative status under the Cabinet handbook? Nothing.

I am declaring this post confidential giving it equal status to that IMO document.

• Advertisement

Okay, you do that. I won't share with anyone, I promise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement