Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No doubt you have attended conferences and seminars on political issues with the above mentioned.

It's a fertile ground for your position and that has widely been funded by Russia, for it's own ends.

https://www.dw.com/en/european-populist-far-right-parties-meet-in-warsaw/a-60023500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Any sign of the homophobic posts or are you happy to be a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Ah, does a discussion on hypocrisy among the imperial powers upset you, I'm sorry if the real world intrudes on your carefully constructed alternative reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

are you saying That the hack on the HSE was a hacker group in russia or russia the state that was responsible for the hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If you knew what they were, why when asked if you've been to a post-Soviet country did you reply with four non post-Soviet countries?

It's bread and butter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Kyrgyzstan vs Tajikistan both countries are former Soviet union States and both host Russian bases , similarly to Chechens they are both Muslim majority ,

Both countries border guards exchanged fire yesterday afternoon and evening after Kyrgyzstan citizens blocked a road which escalated to gunfire between border guards , leaving up to 9 dead , these also were involved in several skirmishes last year too leaving 50 dead , both countries are part of new russian security alliance , which Putin was dispatching to Kazakhstan recently ,

the mighty cso seems to be a total shambles being promoted by putin as hammer to put down protests in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Do you think that countries in the Soviet "empire" - with at least two open military interventions by Soviet military - thought they were independent of the Soviet Union? Quit the point scoring and personalised attacks. We have well established that no contributor to this thread can claim any relevant credentials to predict or even understand post-Soviet Russian policy.

The topic of the thread is the Russian threat to Ukraine. Which even the Ukrainian President has confirmed is an entirely media created invention. It is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

(1) Clint Eastwood??? Nope. He had nothing to do with it. If you had done even a little research, you would have known that. It was in fact based on a true story, The Conscientious Objector, by Terry Benedict. The story of Pfc. Desmond T Dross, Seventh Day Adventist Christian who was a pacifist, and refused to Bear arms. It won many awards, in every department. I introduced it into the conversation concerning the Hiroshima / Nagasaki atomic bombing. Now, I suggest that before continuing this conversation, you take the time to watch it.

(2) No, I never said you ( or any one else either ) cannot have an opinion based on research etc, unless they have actually been in that Country etc. I said ( and still maintain ) that a person who has been physically in that place, is better placed to have a correct view of what transpired. Personally, I've been in places where "Events" happened, and I knew first hand what transpired, yet news reports painted a different picture, including conflicting reports.

(3) I've already answered this for you, but here it is again.....The Invasion started in 2014, and is ongoing with 14'000 dead so far ( inc friends of mine ), but the real question now is :- When will it end?

• Advertisement

Well, I'd agree with you on the last point. But the poster in question was littering the thread with irrelevant and off-topic references to America and Iraq, then was trying to get on his high horse with a poster who lived in Russia for a significant amount of time about how knowledgeable he was.

Bringing up totally off-topic material to deflect for some reason and peddling how much you know at the same time is tiresome

It may be a little way pedantic, but for instance, Croatia is by no reasonable definition ever categorized as a post-Soviet country. But, the Oracle that is MF was claiming it was.

I'm not going to pretend I read through the entire thread since I last posted, but if the US invasion of Iraq was brought up it is not entirely irrelevant. It highlights how the US and it's allies in the EU and NATO are entirely willing to violate the national sovereignty of countries when it suits its own interests - even if it ultimately doesn't. Hence why people - including myself - are justifiably cynical about the US and NATO trying to construct a casus belli against Russia based on the sacred borders of Ukraine.

The reality is "the West" (really the US) has set precedents by its interventions in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria. Even the violent overthrow of the Ukrainian government in 2014 can be read as a January 6th type coup against "our democracy". If Russian policy in Chechnya, Georgia, Belorussia and Kazakhstan is fair game for criticism then certainly US/EU/NATO policy in third countries is fair game. Lets face it, we live in a world where Israel can orchestrate the assassination of an Iranian scientist, the US can assassinate an Iranian general and drone strike an innocent Afghan family including children. No one is held accountable for those state sponsored murders. Because right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must. That was true 2,500 years ago and it is true now. The real dispute between the US and Russia is that the US believes it is strong and Russia is weak. Whereas Russia - rightly or wrongly - does not accept it is weak and must accept the rule of the US.

Russia has an interest in Ukraine. They exercise that interest. Let us all grow up and recognise the way the world works.

All fine. And plenty of opprobrium got directed towards the US for that war, (I remember it well at the time, and was among the people marching against the war for whatever little good it did).

Yet the poster was carrying on ad nauseum like users opposed to Putin's actions in Ukraine were endorsing "American Imperialism" and was like a dog with a bone about it, even in recent pages he's still at it bringing up Iraq. It's almost like he wants to deflect away from the topic of the thread. Well, not almost like, that's exactly what he was doing.

He wasn't commenting in-passing about any supposed hypocrisies, he was accusing individual posters of it - and labelling them russophobes etc.

Low quality diversionary posting.

Patnor, which dick and harry are you referring to ? or is it to me? If so, then spit it out like a man, and say so. If it is, are you insinuating that all my experience / opinions only comes from holidays and watching movies....are you sure you are not describing your self patnor??? Do your holidays last 1, 2 or even 3 year's? Where do you take your "holidays" patnor? same places as I do? Syria? Afghanistan? Darfur? do tell? I'd love to share experiences with you.

As for the name calling, if you are referring to some of my reply's to MFPM, bear in mind that he was the one who introduced such derogatory terms as "Lad" " Thin Skinned" etc, And you are right about when people fail, they go straight to insults and name calling. You have just described MFPM.

I'm a long time poster on boards, and I'll admit back in 2003 my attitude towards the US regime was that they're not necessarily the good guys, but they are better than Saddam Hussein. So I was not ultimately concerned if Iraq had WMDs or not - which was the principal argument. Rather than the more pertinent argument that even if they did, what casus belli did that create when so many countries, including the US, had WMDs?

I was cynical enough then to consider the US were better than an outright military dictatorship, but I wasn't cynical enough to believe that the US were A) totally incompetent at creating a better scenario for Iraq than a military dictatorship B) were cynical enough to entirely invent a casus belli for war against another sovereign nation, however repellent.

It is far from diversion to point out that the US regime is tarnished goods when it comes to them defining what is right and wrong between nations. This Russian invasion of Ukraine is an almost entirely media created narrative. And at this point the Ukrainian President is calling for everyone to calm down and stop talking about war - if the US and NATO is truly driven by Ukrainian interests, will they listen and start toning down the rhetoric?

Ah sorry Sand. You lost your way badly in the last paragraph.

The Russian build up, history of revanchist and military activity in Ukraine has nothing to do with 'media narrative'. It's all too real and you only need ask a Ukrainian. 15000 souls lost in 2014 should tell you that, and it's no laughing matter or grist for malcontents.

That's the stuff of conspiracy unfortunately and I think you've done yourself a disservice ploughing that conspiratorial furrow.

So you are reduced to claiming the Ukrainian president is a Russian bot now?

Zelensky is trying to calm the economy and not trying generate panic on the streets. I don't think he's claiming what's going on is 'media narrative' and if you're putting that on him, you're committing a serious logical overreach that lacks credibility.

Spent time MFPM? do you mean time spent in conferences, or did you actually live in them for extended periods of time? On the ground so to speak, because there is a big difference in terms of the experience and perception.

I am literally quoting from the Ukrainian president:

"Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has called on the West not to create panic amid the build-up of Russian troops on his country's borders.

He told reporters that warnings of an imminent invasion were putting Ukraine's economy at risk."

"There are signals even from respected leaders of states, they just say that tomorrow there will be war. This is panic - how much does it cost for our state?" he told the press conference in Kyiv.

We live in a world where the country apparently threatened by Russian invasion believes the reports of Russian invasion are more of a threat to their country than any real Russian invasion.

Honestly - I get it. You lads hate Putin. You hate Russia. Okay. But don't pretend the warmongering against Putin/Russia is motivated by some high minded belief in Ukraine's sacred borders. Whoever wins between Russia and NATO, Ukraine loses.

• Advertisement

Zero mention of media there Sand, and to suggest that the media has the power to generate this sort of circumstances, as I believe you were doing, is getting in the sandbox with conspiratorial thinking.

And it's hard to credit that anyone outside Putin is getting pinned with warmongering how this is unfolding.

A. Given his history in Georgia, Ukraine and more.

and

B. The timeline of the buildup.

I think you're being silly there, I really do. He plonks an army on the borders of a country he has partially dismembered, and you think to call others warmongers? I think you're better than that.

@Zelensky is trying to calm the economy.

And he's right ,but also look at a lot of media currently in Ukraine , there interviewing ordinary people going to work and college everyone is pretty relaxed about the situation they are currently facing ,I haven't seen or heard from anyone currently living in Ukraine Saying they want to join Russia ,

Putin and people on here are claiming this is about nato troops and weapons on his porch ,

He's not getting worried about nato because he doesn't want a war , especially one against nato , look at the Russian military losses in Ukraine it's at 8000-10,000 similar to the Ukrainian losses ,at the same time putin had all military losses on foreign soil top secret classified , including Ukraine , Syria and Libya and elsewhere,so he can sit in Moscow and say no Russians have been killed in fighting ,

The first Russian soldiers killed in Syria were chalked down to suicides not in combat despite getting blown up by anti Assad forces ,

In Chechnya they lost over 120,000 soldiers in the two wars, according to Moscow their memorial states only 4000 lost in the two wars , Afghanistan they suffered even heavier losses including over 300 aircraft and crew's ,

So imagine a war against well trained and equipped countries with combined forces I reckon the Russian losses would be staggering , especially in Europe and the Balkans , being Iraq and Afghanistan has has been brought up by others ,what's Americas losses over 20 years in combat ,it's not even close to what Russia lost in fairly short localised conflicts bar Afghanistan

I think the idea that claiming the media does not drive the narrative is fairly naïve. Let me make the songs of a nation and I care not who makes it laws.

It is also odd to pretend that US /NATO interventions in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria are irrelevant misdirection's to this thread, but you feel the need to raise Georgia as a relevant factor in predicting Russian policy in Ukraine. Russian policy in Georgia can tell us no more than US/NATO policy in Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya/Syria right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Russian losses in recent conflicts have been high. I read that 75% of Soviet personnel sent there ended up in hospital at some point.

The Soviet Union dissolved roughly 30 years ago. Our definition of "recent" conflicts may differ.

In Ukraine they were using freezer trucks to transport the dead to be dumped in unmarked graves.

Families were told sons and fathers had been sent over seas on secret missions to protect Russia , when in fact they were killed ukraine ,

I'm a little confused here so help me out, Putin's invasion of Georgia isn't predictive of his behavior elsewhere in the post-Soviet space? It doesn't show continuity of philosophy of aggression towards what he sees as vassal states with uppity notions? That again, is rather silly Sand if that's the point you're trying to make.

Unfortunately, we have a small cohort of posters (and you find yourself among them) that are content, with everything we know, to absolve Putin of surrounding Ukraine with war material, a country already with Russian puppet states on its territory and a peninsula annexed illegally. And then turn around and call others warmongers. That's topsy turvy land, it really is.

You lean in on Afghanistan and Iraq (of precisely zero relevance) again and again. We all know the tale of US and Iraq etc etc. I really fail to see the relevance beyond a diversionary tactic.

We're all prepared to criticise the US, and if they pulled another Iraq, boards would explode. Let's get consistent and I challenge you to do so. Putin's behaviour in Ukraine is a disgrace and puts the security of the continent at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,456 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Putin has made a serious error of judgement this time. Biden had a name when he was in the Senate for being a formidable deal maker. He has shown his skills again. He has Putin all over the place.

Putin amassed an army on the Ukrainian border. He taught with his control of gas he could neutralise, Europe and force his terms on Ukraine. His demand that neither Sweden or Finland could join NATO was an attack on there sovereignity. Neither accepted that.

He united NATO behind Biden. Biden then caught Putin off guard. He went on the offensive. Putin had being hinting about an invasion since autumn. So Biden got Boris to confirm it and went on the offensive. Suddenly instead of Putin dictating events it was Biden dictating events. His counter bluff of putting his Navy on excerises off Ireland as a way of pointing to what he taught was a back door to attack Europe was laughable.

The French and UK airforce will patrol the Atlantic with a few nuclear powered subs as well. The US and Denmark have parked a few fighter jets in Estonia. They activated the 60k rapid response unit and probably have them on the Russian border at this stage

Check mate.

So now if Putin farts he not sure what will happen. If he pull back troops he is humiliated and will lose a lot of political kudos both internally and externally. If he attacks the weakness of the Russian economy will visible it's dependance on energy sale to Europe. While 650 million in Foreign reserves seems huge it's only about 4.5k/ head of population in Russia.

Putin has been squandering the wealth from energy sales. He cannot afford a long drawn out standoff. He cannot afford to invade and he cannot afford to back down.

Joe Biden is no Donald Trump or Barack Obama. That is the mistake Putin made. He follows the Roosevelt stragety '' walk softly and carry a big stick''.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement

It's worth mentioning again, that the sorry Ukraine tale began with Moscow's refusal to allow Ukraine to sign on to a trade and association agreement with the EU. Nothing to do with arms or NATO, Ukraine was charting its own economic course and Putin via military coercion attempted to stop it.

I've no doubt we'll hear a revisionist take on that, but the above is a hard fact how this unfolded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement