Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

What has someone getting stopped in her car got to do with anything here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They should introduce MUP for petrol/diesel. Or maybe make cars out of reach of the lower income section of society. That'll solve most of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Sun story is about more than just ordinary poor people who can only afford to get €1,000 of drink for themselves. It starts off with builders who are profiteering from selling drink to their workmates.

BUILDERS are stocking up on slabs of cheap cans in the north and selling them to colleagues on Dublin construction sites — as minimum unit pricing kicks in.

Border off-licence boss Joseph Goodwill revealed his customers are making €70 a run by picking up crates of beer on special offer and flogging them to work pals on a Monday morning.

Can't read that rag, but if that's all it says, then it seems to be providing the opposite of sensationalism. There are already groups on Instagram and Snapchat doing runs.

I'm not even on Instagram or snapchat and know that.

I'm not sure what the Government thought would happen if they kept adding tax on alcohol and then add something like MUP to the most expensive alcohol in the EU.

Would they really be that surprised if people saw a profit to be made on the black market for it?

Only for the three year period with no government in the North, they would have been able to introduce MUP at the same time as us. The politicians in the North took delivery of a report earlier this month on MUP. With Sinn Fein not opposing MUP in the Republic, and the DUP stance on alcohol, it should be a shoo in for the policy to get the go ahead there. So no more cheap drink in the North before long. That will just leave England out of all the countries on the two islands. A remarkable success for the publicans of Ireland.

• Advertisement

"A remarkable success for the publicans of Ireland."

So it has nothing to do with health?

I wouldn't count my chickens on MUP in the North being quick. It wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world for those with the ability to bring in alcohol from Europe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because its only bottles, 24 cans will cost 40 odd quid now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That price would be correct for 330m bottle 4.0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

But rejoice it will prove we have solved alcoholism. Waiting for the gobshites in rte to run a news story on it in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

I have also sent an email to Minister Donnelly and expressed my anger about this flawed measure called Minimum Unit Provision of the Public Health Act 2018 . I am not expecting much other then a standard answer but I did remind him that some voters in his constituency could be fairly unhappy about it.

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Letters aren't going to do it. There is nobody standing on the platform of abolishing the MUP for you to change your vote to.

The only way, in fact the easiest way, is to use your power as a consumer. Refuse to buy at the new inflated prices. And tell your usual place of business that you will not buy unless the MUP is scrapped.

If enough people do it, if turnover is negatively effected by a large enough amount, then retail bodies will become involved and they are far more powerful.

But we all know that won't happen. People are too lazy, too addicted to drink and habit that the vast majority will simply accept it and pay up.

Going up North or abroad is a good start, the only problem with that is you have to let them know that is what is being done, otherwise they will assume or allege MUP is working because of the decline in sales. 🙄

The timing couldn't have been worse either, I imagine there will be a bigger backlash to this soon. There was a programme on the radio this morning talking about inflation and vat not being reduced. It sounded like (I couldn't listen to the whole programme) that they were campaigning for a reduced vat across the board because of inflation.

If that happens that won't really help MUP. I doubt they will reduce VAT on alcohol but the possible penny savings on other products could make MUP more affordable for the people on lower income.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

In my hometown of Suceava you can buy a beer half litre for €1 in restaurant or pub and maybe 60 cents in the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's not even cheap compared to the rest of the most of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Currently having a few pints of cider. Apple tree cider in fact.

Used to be able to get 4 cans or 2 liter bottle for 5 or 6 euro. It was 6 percent alcohol. Now they have 2 litre bottles going for 6.99 euro - but of course 4.2 percent alcohol. Sure the taste is the same but the buzz isn't if that makes sense.

I hate this min price alcohol.

You have your theory ready for what will be assumed or alleged. And the way to get around that is for everyone going North to tell their TD's how much they spent on drink? Even if everyone did that, it would not form any proper basis for statistics.

Judging from the cross border shopping stats which are available, there will be a big chunk of the country not going North in any great numbers. So if there is a decline in those regions, it will be down to MUP.

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/housingandhouseholds/crossbordershoppinghouseholds/

It is not to tell the TD's how much they spend on drink. It is merely to let them know that they are going elsewehere to get it. I wouldn't be suggesting it for the statistics. As for the 'theory', I was referring to the decline of alcohol purchases here, and let's face it, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for the government to openly lie to suit their narrative.

I'm not suggesting 'everyone' go North, I was referring to those that do go North or abroad. but I am expecting the alcohol black market to have grown quite substantially by St. Patricks day.

Where there is a profit to be made, you can bet someone will try take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

That'll definitely teach them for aiming to reduce alcohol consumption.

Yeah, they're nearly on target with that aim too. If they could just decide to open the pubs longer, they might hit a bullseye, and the alcohol consumption should plummet right down to their target figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Of the budget ciders Druids, Rosie's are no longer even being stocked in some places and Woodgate appears gone from LIDL. Bulmers/Rockshore and those damn awful lime/raspberry or whatever options are mostly left. I wouldn't mind if Thatchers and the better English commercial ones were available but they are hard to get.

Thanks AAI and especially LVA/VFI. I shall be avoiding all public houses that are members and encouraging friends and colleagues to do the same.

Anyone contacting the Minister / Department of Health about this Public Health legislation my recommendation would be to outline the effect it is having on your own health, or what you expect it will do to your health in future. Personal testimonies like this will be more powerful than special pleading on behalf of pensioners and poor people. Or blaming publicans and vintners. Or even decrying the negative economic effects of cross border shopping. These arguments are well known, and are the stock in trade of newspapers columnists.

Keep it personal, and keep it on the topic of your own health.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Temporarily. The alternative is to continue to buy at the inflated prices.

Keep buying from the off license but avoid spending in the pub. Or start home brewing.

The Off Licences lobbied for MUP. Avoid spending with them too.

I think anything that would encourage/allow people to go along with to show that they're against mup, and that would actually have any effect, would need to be clever and well thought out.

It would have to make an impact. I doubt most people are going to avoid pubs or off licences etc.

Either that or get the funding to challenge them in EU Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

apply for a tesco UK clubcard.

use any Nordie address.

they give you the digital clubcard number.

do click and collect, buy all your drink, get the clubcard bonus also, which saves you a good chunk on top of prices, use your digital clubcard.

drive up, get your booze.

lads are up there today doing it.

your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

I got a flyer in the door the other day (Drogheda area) from an off licence in Jonesborough, with prices in euro.

The advertising has started!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

get the funding to challenge them in EU Court.

That is actually the only way to protest this.

If you stop using the off licenses then consumption will go down and that's the plan for MUP.

If you boycott the pubs then the government will take no heed, actually they will be happy because again it's less consumption.

Going to the north is only attractive for some because of the exchange rate and the price of fuel, so that's not going to be enough of an issue to make the government react.

So your only choice is to organize an anti- MUP group.

Fund yourselves by pooling all the money members save by not going to the pub and off license and bring a case to Europe.

Probably wouldn't need to save that much, as there might be enough people and businesses that might help fund it.

I disagree re the pubs, - the government would take heed if the pubs were boycotted, as they were one of the main groups lobbying for it. They would likely reapply pressure if it affected them enough. As for the government being worried about our alcohol consumption, I don't think that's true either, if it is why are they considering opening the pubs later and changing the licencing laws later this year?

The exchange rate is not the only reason, but also, it wouldn't need to be everyone going up North. It would only need to be some with a large budget initially and an Instagram or snapchat account.

It might also be possible to lobby Europe and ask for more information regarding their price discrimination laws.

There are quite a few options available, but the boycott one just wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that people are still flogging the dead horse of an EU challenge. I thought we disposed of that in the thread a long time back. The Scotch Whisky lobby failed, as did the wine producers lobby in various countries. It has been settled, the competence to introduce MUP belongs with the national parliaments and courts.

2. Licensing policy in Scotland Alcohol licensing is a devolved matter.

A minimum unit price of 50p was introduced on 1 May 2018. This followed an unsuccessful legal challenge to the Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) (Scotland) Act 2012.

2.1 The Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) (Scotland) Act 2012 The Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) (Scotland) Act 2012 received Royal Assent in June 2012. The Act amended the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and paved the way for the introduction of MUP. Background to the 2012 Act is available in a Scottish Parliament Information Service (SPICe) briefing paper. Scottish Whisky Association legal challenge The Scottish Whisky Association (SWA) unsuccessfully challenged the 2012 Act in the European and Scottish courts. The SWA claimed that MUP was contrary to EU law, would not be effective in tackling alcohol misuse, and would penalise responsible drinkers. In July 2012, the SWA lodged a complaint with the European Commission and filed a petition for judicial review with the Scottish Court of Session. In a ruling of 3 May 2013, the Court refused the SWA’s petition. The Court ruled that the 2012 Act and the proposed Order setting a minimum unit price were not outside the legislative competence of the Scottish Parliament. The Court also decided that the measures were not incompatible with EU law. The SWA appealed the decision. In April 2014, the Scottish Court of Session ruled that the case should be referred to the European Union’s Court of Justice (ECJ). In September 2015, the Advocate General to the ECJ said that MUP could only be justified to protect public health if no alternative measures - such as tax increases - could be found. However the ECJ said this was a matter for the Scottish Courts to decide. In October 2016, the Scottish Court of Session upheld its earlier decision to refuse the SWA’s petition for a judicial review. In November 2016, the SWA announced that it would appeal to the Supreme Court. On 15 November 2017, the Supreme Court said that the 2012 Act did not breach EU law and that minimum pricing was “a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim”.

2.2 MUP introduced (May 2018) Following the Supreme Court’s judgment, the Scottish Government went ahead with its plans to introduce MUP.

Advertisement