Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't agree with you but also can't argue with you and your enlightened choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But I've enjoyed the FF spin offs...

Honestly quite looking forward to it. I miss games being as dumb as Stranger in Paradise and ninja theory have knocked it out of the park recently with Nioh. Their only real bad games was Ninja Gaiden 3 but made that decent with Razors Edge.

Just thinking about this but the existence of this games implies that mobile phones and limp Bizkit exist in the world of the first ff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ I see you have been playing Warioland.

My only memory of Wario was a game on the Game Boy. #goodtimes

Yep it's the first gameboy game. I tried to get into it a few times but the first few stages are kind of uninspiring but I've since given it another go on the analogue pocket and glad I did because after the initial 2 levels it turns into a really inventive and well designed nintendo platformer. Really enjoying the fun it has by deviating from the mario formula.

Really looking forward to trying the sequels as those games completely subvert platforming conventions and are some of the best platformers of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Just fired up my 3ds for the first time in about a decade. Its a nicer piece of hardware than I expected tbh, I thought it’d feel really cheap in a modern world of expensive iPhones but it holds up well and the 3d effect is still totally unique.

I bought it back at launch and it’s still pretty much pristine, I think pilotwings is the only game I ever played on it, life got a bit too busy for gaming at the time and I kinda forgot I had it.

I felt like some classic Pokémon and never played the ds or 3ds games so went onto the e-store and so many years later every single one of them is still more expensive than a typical next gen console game a couple of months after release. Got to hand it to Nintendo, they really stick to their guns.

Pokemon games always exceed their value very quickly. And it's not helped that the market is flooded with knock off copies which inflate the price of genuine ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

True, as evidenced by CeX having no issues commanding €70-€130 for their older Pokemon fare. Insane for games that sold in the high millions, but Platinum through to Black 2 were critically as well as commercially successfully, which just adds to their already insane demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Get A Link Between Worlds.

That and Super Mario 3D Land.

Brilliant 3ds games.

Both still available new for about 20 quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Been playing indie darling Loop Hero for I think about 20 hours and I've hit that point common with roguelikes where I'm asking myself "now what? Is that it?" Just think I'm going around in circles now; well. I am. But the game doesn't have that sense of organic progression you get with other rogue games.

• Advertisement

I've been giving that Star Wars Fallen Order game a go. It's pretty good for what it's trying to be. Star Wars fans should definitely like it.

What I cannot stand about it is that when you jump on a climbable object you have to press LT or you fall to your death. Why can't you just jump on it and grab it automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

For game mechanics reasons? IIRC in the new Tomb Raider series is the same.

I dunno, it's new to me I think. Like in Breath of the Wild you just jump on the wall, right? I dunno, the LT thing just felt like an unnecessary extra step. Like Fallen Order is so linear you often have only one direction to go in, so why not jump straight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭a2deden

Weird how imo Dark Souls is **** but for some its as good as it can get. Almost like people....can have different tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I don't do dutch gold gaming like some peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was playing the DLC to Assassin's Creed Origins during the week. It was very good.

Also, Origins was the last AC game I completed. I got burned out playing Odyssey and I never got into Valhalla.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never played them games but I did read about how difficult they are suppose to be and I do not have any time to frustrate myself unnecessarily so I will never play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I was the very same, until I got Dark Souls free on games with gold on xbox. Figured I had nothing to lose so gave it a go, its one of my favourite series of all time now. I wont say they're easy, 'deliberate' is the word I'd choose, you cant button mash your way through it, and patience is your best friend. Yes, there is occasional unfairness, or one hit kills, but not that much. They're cheap enough now, well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Did they ever give any of the Souls games away with Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Demon's Souls on PS3 back in 2013

What I hate is all the enemies reappear when you go back on already covered areas. "Ah ffs I've to do this all over again", or I could just not play the game anymore.

I've run out of steam on Valhalla. Pretty sure I'm close to the end, as in I'm on the last region on the map. If a new map opens up I'm going to snap the disc in half (metaphorically, I don't use discs!)

Problem is I have invested so much time into it I have to finish it, so it's actually caused me to give up on gaming completely because I never feel like playing it and I don't want to start anything else so I end up just not playing anything at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

I just quit cold turkey on odyssey. Its not worth the tedium, I quit far cry 6 for the same reason. Life's too short for pointless open world games that are a waste of time really

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've been there, and found the best thing is to play a complete palate cleanser; a small, short, completely different type/style of game.

Yeah, this is where Game Pass is handy, there's a tonne of short indie titles to play alongside the longer AAA releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If playing on PC and want to finish a game I'm getting bored of but want to see the story, I'll admit I would just use cheats to get to the end quicker. Also makes things less annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I had similar myself recently, which I posted about on the PlayStation forum. Short version is I put about 20 hours into Days Gone, but it was really starting to annoy me so I had to switch to something else and played Outer Wilds. Then after beating it I decided to try give Days Gone another try and just power through to finish it, and after a few hours I decided I needed another palate cleanser because it was annoying me even more than before, so I played The Forgotten City.

Days Gone is an apt name for the game because that's largely how I feel after playing it. Just ended up watching some of the ending cutscenes on YouTube.

Advertisement