Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I haven't listened to many episodes over the last while but enjoyed H. R. McMaster. I only had it on in the background but its nice to hear a clear voice. Sharp, intelligent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I enjoyed the Ben Patrick one. As a long time sufferer of knee pain it really piqued my interest as I've started doing fairly intensive physio and a lot of what he said made perfect sense but I never looked at it in that way.

For me, those are the hidden gems that pop up now and again on his show.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Neil Young not impressed with Rogan

Neil Young has demanded that Spotify removes his music, due to vaccine misinformation spread by podcaster Joe Rogan on the streaming service.

"They can have Rogan or Young. Not both," wrote the star in a letter to his management and record label.

Young's comments came in an open letter, which was briefly posted to his Neil Young Archives website before being removed.

"I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform," he wrote.

"I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines - potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them. Please act on this immediately today and keep me informed of the time schedule.

"With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE [the Joe Rogan Experience] which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world's largest podcast and has tremendous influence," Young continued.

"Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy."

Follows up on this from last month

Last month, 270 doctors, scientists and healthcare professionals signed an open letter requesting that Spotify implement a policy for dealing with misinformation because of Rogan's "concerning history" in discussing the Covid-19 pandemic.

The letter cited an episode in which Rogan interviewed Dr Robert Malone, a virologist who worked on early research into the mRNA technology behind several Covid-19 vaccines, but who is now critical of the treatments.

Both men were criticised for promoting conspiracy theories, including the false claim that hospitals are financially incentivised to falsely diagnose deaths as having been caused by Covid-19.

Malone also incorrectly stated that getting vaccinated puts people who have already had Covid-19 at higher risk, and claimed world leaders had hypnotised the public into supporting vaccines, drawing parallels between the pandemic and the rise of the Nazi party in 1930s Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think Rogan has always been a bit of a conspiracy nut, but he makes a lot of money for Spotify so I guess no more Neil young on Spotify. Odd to do it and this time when we seem to be coming to the end of the pandemic and perhaps no further boosters for Joe to rail against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

God Jordan Peterson seems quite unhinged in this one. Dont think i can get past 30mins.

• Advertisement

When talking about his addiction problems and pop psychology he was interesting but when talking about religion and some other of his ideas he was very hard to understand. Seems to have a lot of half baked ideas and Joe too seemed lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Petersons worst podcast by far. He's usually decent enough.

Some of the stuff he said he had to backtrack too.

His current interest in the bible probably didn't interest atheist Joe. Also doesn't look in great health which is understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He didnt seem all here at all. Going off point and rambling about nonsense and forgetting what he was talking about our the question he was asked. Rogan noticed early something was very much off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I've seen clips of the climate change discussion but jesus does he normally try to apply his own simplistic definition to things and rambles about it to discredit it "Climate is everything"

I'd wish there was an actual scientist there just to explain the models he was rambling about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

From what I saw of it, he seems to have lost it altogether. The stuff about climate "being everything" is about the level of analysis you'd expect to hear from a rambling drunk and there was lots more about lots more - all with a similar level of incoherence.

Also, he's not looking very well. I know it might come across as a cheap shot, but I thought he looked genuinely ill.

Yeah he did not look well at all. The way he broke down crying while talking about being at a gig too seemed worrying.

On top of that the one thing he said over and over about his illnesses of late is he did not know what caused them or what made them go away. His family worry that this new tour could bring it back. He said he is not sure.

The amount of emotion going through him - coupled with unexplained illness - coupled with him simply just looking (and sounding) relatively weaker - is just worrying like this upcoming tour could literally kill him or at least set him back a long way.

Have only the most passing vague interest in the man. But genuinely wish him well and would hate to see this tour harm him. It seems even people who have had the most robust arguments with him (like Sam Harris) end up really liking him as a person. One of those rare people (Christopher Hitchens was apparently one too in his time) that can argue vehemently in debate one moment but be your best and most caring friend the next. Anecdote at least suggests he is a really lovely man and I hope he doesn't suffer.

Speaking of breaking down crying I see Joe Rogan is still breaking into instant tears at the mere mention of anthony bourdain in his latest podcast. His death has affected him really deeply I think. I hope he is processing his grief well and his suffering here is eventually alleviated. Especially if he is processing any ideas of unwarranted guilt in that death - as suicide can often do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Peterson has had serious addiction issues only a few years ago. He also said he was suicidal in that period. The man obviously has demons. He's an interesting chap, but he definitely seemed a bit off the last day with Rogan.

Yes he went much deeper into that in the podcast than I have heard him go into it before. Whatever faults he might have Joe Rogan is very good at getting his guests to elaborate in great length and detail on things that were previously vague.

So he spoke a lot about his illness - the drugs used - which ones he had trouble getting off - and more.

A lot of that podcast would be unlistenable to many people I think. It was over 4 hours after all. But those particular sections where he went into his illnesses and his recoveries were quite informative. Not that anyone (there are many) who has decided he is an awful hateful man will be interested in any of it :) They likely have already decided why he had issues and what those issues are indicative of.

Rogan was probably right when he brought up how much of an effect being propelled into "fame" at a relatively late age had on it too. Some people are built for fame. Rogan clearly is such a person for example. I have seen little of Peterson in my time - but nothing I have seen suggests he was built for it very well at all.

Yeah I feel sorry for the struggles Peterson has had recently but I think he has a tendency to try to redefine words in order to try to win debates, and not in a logical way. He had Stephen fry on his podcast recently , ita on YouTube if you search for it, and was rambling so much that he didn't came out of it looking a bit mad, even with Fry trying to bring him back to logic every once in a while. I feel Fry is the spiritual successor to Hitchens, great speaker

One of the funniest moments in the Peterson/Rogan podcast was when Rogan talked about the "Nut jobs" who think people - who were out of their heads on ayahuasca - discovered in a vision the existence of the Double Helix nature of DNA long before science did.

What he (probably) did not know was that Peterson is exactly one of those "Nut Jobs" and Peterson's response was - quite controlled and muted where instead of admitting he had made exactly that claim in a lecture - but instead moaned about how Richard Dawkins responded to hearing one of his lectures.

I can't stand Dawkins, he comes across as too arrogant. I see Neil young has left Spotify, wonder if Joe will mention it. Probably make a joke about it I imagine.

Never managed to see that description of Dawkins as valid myself. He has his faults but I do not see him as all that much more (or less, to be fair) arrogant than other high level tenured (or previously tenured) professors. I think as a class the intellectual elite can come across as more arrogant than the common Joe. But other than that - Dawkins has never been a stand out example from the rest for me.

But I only mentioned him to highlight how Peterson jumped to citing/faulting Dawkins in the moment - rather than take a more honest approach of saying something like "Actually I believe that too Joe and here is why" or "I once believed that too Joe - and actually made that very claim in a lecture of mine - but here is why I do not any more".

Instead when Rogan brought up these "nut jobs" Peterson knee jerk reacted and dropped an attack on Dawkins - probably because he knew many of the listeners (unlike joe?) know he was in fact one of those very "nut jobs" Rogan was talking about.

So he probably felt he had to respond in some way to that - and the best he could come up with was to lash out at Dawkins with a completely non sequitur and out of nowhere attack.

I know little about Peterson. When I see things from him some things sent my respect up. Some down. That moment was definitely a hard but amusing down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I think Petersons been beaten down a but by some fairly ott responses to what are generally fairly reasonable stances. Joe himself gone off the deep end completely since his move iv stopped listening unfortunately. His big value for me was as a sounding board for his guests and you could listen if you found the guest Interesting. He's become fairly opinionated himself which is of coarse his perogative but it's taken away from what he was best at I think and makes the podcasts a bit samey samey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I Stand With Neil Young!

Posted January 28, 2022

I’ve decided to remove all my music from Spotify. Irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives. I stand in solidarity with Neil Young and the global scientific and medical communities on this issue. —Joni Mitchell

Thats me back to Tidal so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone?

Like freedom of expression meaning you don’t try to silence someone you think is wrong.

Maybe Joni needs to reflect on what her song Trouble Child suggests about scientific mental health treatment. And maybe Neil needs to think about whether his song Welfare Mothers is too exhuberent to be seen as ironic.

This is shockin behaviour from both of them. Just shockin.

Except not paying Joe a fortune to be on their platform doesn't amount to censorship. He's free to make podcasts regardless. They've just taken a stance that his discourse has been downright irresponsible and uninformed during a pandemic that has killed millions. And it's irresponsible on Spotifys part to fund it. I'm off to Tidal anyway.

I see that the Spotify share price is just above 50% of the level it was at at the start of November

If the #cancel spotify thing gains any momentum and/ or any other musicians decide to move could be interesting

they are not going to dump Rogan but there could be a "guideline" put to him about not having complete medical disinformation quacks on

Did Walmart only start selling Young and Michell's wares since they stopped selling assault weapons and ammunition? Or were they happy to take the money when they were on the way up?

They're entitled to control their stuff and bully for them, just seems like an easy battle to pick.

I wonder how long that contract with Rogan and Spotify is. A google search tells me its a "multiyear" deal. Even if Rogan got kicked off spotify, nothing would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I don’t listen to Rogan and there’s much I don’t like about him and his audience. But presumably if you think it’s irresponsible of Spotify to host him, you also think it irresponsible for Youtube and all other platforms to host him. So if your principle were followed through to its conclusion, it does amount to censorship.

Many on the left would be the first to say that dropping someone from a major platform, amidst a controversy that wards off alternative platforms, amounts to ‘effective’ censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i like joe rogan but at the same time actually don’t take advice from him , because I’m a grown up and can decipher my own truth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hasn't hurt Spotify's stock price up on close $1.66. Young asked for his catalog to be removed Spotify complied. Im sure the company who he sold the music rights to might not be to happy, but so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Rogan's never going to be dropped, but I can see spotify telling him to cool it with the covid lies.

Advertisement