Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

not many places open for dinner this week? goldie and jacques not answering anyway. anyone been out this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

had lunch in The Castle Cafe Blackrock again yday - man I love it.. food, service, staff, ambiance, covid cautious - everything was fab.. but seriously good food.. love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anyone tried Coo Coo Indian? Just saw in on Deliveroo but haven’t heard anything about it. Was going to order Raj but can’t be arsed driving out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Goldie were open, but I think may be closed for a couple of weeks again for renovations (prob not a bad time to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

the amount of folks affected with Covid is crazy these days - lots of restaurants closed due to staff getting it or being close contacts, especially in the small towns like Clon/Bantry etc - most restaurants closed, Cork would be the same

• Advertisement

Hi - does Novecento or any other good Pizza place have outdoor seating? What are better restaurants in Cork that are dog friendly?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

not sure about dog friendly restaurants but Fionn barras are dog friendly and let you bring in novecento

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Was here on a Saturday and no sign of him. I guess it's only weekdays?

The Black Market on Monaghan Rd has Burnt Pizza and its dog friendly, free parking - open late Thurs - Sun night

So we went to the Marina Market as friends said that they had seen loads of dogs around when they went earlier in the week. The weather was nice and the place was packed - loads of dogs around. Nice place, would recommend. We had food from Poulet-vous and loaded fries form Pratai, both quite good. Kids had pizza from OakFire, decent pizza. We got canoli’s from Sicilian Delights which weren't great – too sugary, nothing like the original. One thing tho - it will get cold really fast in there if the sun isn't out.

• Advertisement

It will be great if folks that have been to the Marina Market a few times to talk about the various stalls as to how good (or bad) they are

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The stalls change all the time...

Nua Asador is one I liked recently, they've a really tasty steak cooked on a bbq.

Messy buns has good cakes, handy for a treat or picking up to bring somewhere so your arms aren't swinging.

Pure Flakey is a bakery, excellent sausage rolls, especially the one with black pudding.

Taylors Deli Latkes are delicious, anything with spuds I've a weakness for. :)

Are Sultan still in there - lamb shawarma is really savage, loads of garlic in it.

Brendan Burritos, are they still in marina market? I think they moved to Black market? They are in other markets too. Anyway, Breakfast burrito is delicious... scrambled eggs, jalepenos, black beans, salsa, cheese.

Sultan and Brendan Burritos - still there

We have Sultan and Nua Asador lined up for the next visit and maybe the fries again from Patai.

We also had the bao buns from Bia Rebel - these ones are not the stuffed ones, but the sandwich type one, not bad, not great either

Had food in The Black Market today - its v v cool - we had stir frys rom Dip - Malaysian fayre.. fantastic.. really fresh quality produce.. oh the sambal hmmm.. the place in general is a lot nicer than The Marina Market imo.. there is a draught that runs thru the place that would cut you in two.. its a lot smaller though..

Twas quiet today but they said its v busy thurs - sun nights

Acoustics are fabbb in TBM - twud make a great nightclub..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Want to visit the Black Market now after the reviews (thank you!). I thought it was just Soma and Burnt, but seems like some new offerings there.

Anyone know what hours they do on Sundays, and if there might be any seating spaces (for the auld mam and dad like)?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

What is everyone's opinion on Okura in Douglas? I went a year ago or so and the food was good but service was terrible. It felt like they hadn't much experience in restaurant dining yet. Have they improved that aspect somewhat does anyone know?

open till 8pm on Sundays - they have Dip (Malaysian fayre), A burger bar, Brendans Burritos, burnt and Soma.

lots of seating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The restaurant upstairs at the Coop is open again, I was there for lunch today & managed to get rid of a voucher I got as an xmas present in 2019! Sadly the canteen feel is gone & it's table service now, food is still very good although a little bit more expensive. The notice board with the zillions of alternative health options is gone but there is a nice display of the many activist causes they've been involved in over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Service is still very patchy, it’s inexperience rather than rudeness though which I can live with. In my opinion it’s the best Asian food in Cork but the menu is right up my street, I love the California style sushi which they excel at but a sushi purist might turn up their nose a bit. Their noodle soups are very good too, which almost no other restaurant in Cork gets right, only others being Miyazaki and the couple who used to do Pho at the markets. Hopefully they can get the teppanyaki going as they have the set up but are holding off due to Covid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wished that they had focused more on the old school, cheap, studenty type of veggie food market that they used to cater for. I won't be paying €15 for a dahl! And I liked the canteen style of ordering too. The Other Place in the past was always community driven and affordable. Now they seem to be just another overpriced restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Had food in the Elm tree the other night. Really nice meal. Good atmosphere too with lovely staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Went there today, first time in a long time I was struggling to pick from the menu the options were so good.

The food and service was excellent. Probably the nicest meal Ive had in a long time, not that the other places were bad that we have eaten in but the Elm tree really was a standout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ate in Vienna Woods tonight - really lovely meal I have to say; had veg soup for starter (a bit thick but tasty), then stuffed supreme of chicken wrapped in Parma ham with wholegrain mustard sauce, mash and veg. They’ve been doing the place up bit by bit the last few years, one of the staff told us that they plan to build on an extra 40 hotel rooms and also a spa, so great plans ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

We actually went there in the end and we got the teppanyaki, which I'm glad to say is on the menu now. I also got a sushi platter and enjoyed it all. Service was still patchy but as you said it seems to be inexperience. Hopefully it comes with time.

I'll be sure to try their noodle soups on my next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'd agree with you there, much preferred the old set up.

Had Lunch in De Calf in the Cornmarket centre yesterday - fab - great selection and quality.. comfy too... I would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone know what restaurants are doing takeaway dinner on valentines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

great news for Cork - we have 4 Michelin star restaurants & a new bib :)

Four Cork restaurants get coveted Michelin Star for 2022 - Cork Beo

had pizza and pints last weekend in The Rising Sons.. fab fab fab.. couldn't fault a thing.. their pizza's are class.. imo.. staff are super too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another fantastic meal in Paradiso on Saturday.

I think €80 for two, considering the quality point and getting 9 separate plates, is excellent value. Dessert is extra, though.

Advertisement