Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

A lot to like there. O'Loughlin on the left wing - that's where he played a lot in the season he was tearing it up and got capped. It's good to see McCarthy finally getting a go. He could be sidelined next season with them buying in Jenkins, so hopefully he can make the best of this window of opportunity.

I'd like to have seen Tommy O'Brien start ahead of Adam Byrne. He spends enough time out injured. They should play him while he's available. Ross Byrne and Adam Byrne ahead of the alternatives on the bench is conservative selection, you'd have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

McCarthy actually only turns 21 in March, which is even more scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Very good team, very strong pack considering no internationals. Great to see Connors back.

Very hard to see Tracy being here next season if Cronin is getting a start ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Amazingly I looked up his DOB on the Leinster site, saw he was born in March 2001 and managed to calculate that as 22..... PM me for freelance accountancy :pac:

I know Leinster are pretty generous with their stats at times. But I think this one might be kinda true to type. He is very big

Lee-lo is a player I have a lot of time for. He's very decent at this level. Starting at 13 for Cardiff

Will be a tough test for Osborne. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Mccarthy didn't look particularily Athletic in the U20's but he did look like he could put on a fair bit of size, a traditional Lock No.8, what height is he? Definitely thought he was one of the standouts in that U20's side where he was a year younger than most of the others in the side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Like the fact he has gone under the radar but I think he had a long term injury

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah that’s struck me as strange. Not a good sign for Tracy at all.

Wouldn’t say McCarthy will be taking much ball in the lineout. 6’5” and 120 kg’s is not going up very high, very quickly.

• Advertisement

Tracy has a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Treacy has started previously. This is Cronins 1st start.

I feel Leinster haven't valued Murphy as a 6 quite as highly as they should have. Doris has been sensational and suits Ireland's playing style well, but it would have been good to have Murphy as a blindside option for games against really physical teams. Want to mix it physically against those teams? Pick a big guy with brute physicality at 6, and a proper tighthead lock. That's my view. Murphy and Dunne (apparently) are leaving. Hopefully McCarthy (th lock) and Alexis Soroka (big, physical, abrasive in the tight blindside) can develop and become viable first XXIII options in those roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭DelMcG

Apparently he was excellent in the trial game between the academy boys & the Irish U20s a couple of weeks back. Scored the opening try & from what I've heard, looked like a man against boys when it came to the current crop of U20 forwards. Ross Turnbull & Rory Thornton should provide sterner tests but going on pure size & weight stats, he's a match for both.

Would have liked to see HB get the nod. Overall, it's a good side. Lot of experience too! Deegan will be keen to make the most of his minutes. I bet Connors returns with a blast!

Is Clarkson injured? I don't think he's played this season?

I mean the same could be said for Ruddock, and that's exactly how we deploy him.

And Ruddock offers a lot more at 6 that Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe give Jenkins a few games before writing him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

I actually thought he looked very athletic for the 20's, made a number of barnstorming runs from what I remember. I recall that he scored a great try for the u19's after a break from his own half as well. He looks like a great prospect and I was hoping he'd feature before now, but I assume injuries have held him back.

It is interesting though how McCarthy, Deeny, Soroka and Sean O'Brien were all ahead of Cian Prendergast in the pecking order at u20 level and none of that quartet have featured much at all for Leinster since, with Prendergast now in the Irish squad. I hope more lads look at that and take the initiative in joining one of the other provinces in future if there is a clear back log in their position at Leinster. I appreciate the latest second row departures may afford McCarthy and Deeny more opportunities next season, but it has been disappointing the lack of game they have had between them given how good they both looked for the 20's.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. Murphy is more heavy duty. He punches over the gainline more. And I feel he's a better player in the tight, adding more around the maul and so forth. Ruddock's just a bit quantity over quality in terms of his involvements.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hopefully he will come good, hes certainly young enough as locks go, at only 26 now.

No thanks! Much prefer Irish lads over mercenaries. Even if the foreign players are better.

There's no telling how a young player will progress. Look at Boyle! Leinster probably didn't think he'd be as good as he is, same with Prendergast. SOB has played semi pro over here for the LA franchise. I thought from what I saw of him, he was pretty good. It was a good experience for him. Soroka will be a good player, imo, Maloney, who knows? Hindsight is beautiful sometimes.

I hope young players do move around the provinces. It only benifits the union and each province. There's lads at Munster who'd be worth a punt on. Kelly and O'Connor may not get promoted, why not move to another province? I'd like to see a Munster lad at Leinster. There are talented players about and some have bounced off to France, I.e Karl Martin, and a lad from Munster? Surely, another province would be ideal? Last year's hooker from the u20's also went to France. I can't remember his name, but he was a solid enough player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No it’s for the love of the game they do it but those damn foreigners expecting to be paid for doing a days work ruin everything

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

More Welsh whinging ahead of the game today 🙄

Cardiff captain Josh Turnbull ahead of Leinster clash:

“You look at some of the best football teams. They can have two separate sides of equal quality. Only money brings you that and if you’ve got money you can go and spend it on the players you want.”

Fails to realise 21 of the 23 man squad for the game have all come from the Leinster academy, were hardly doing a vintage Toulon 2013-2015.

• Advertisement

Are those 21 players playing for free?

Advertisement