Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah I don't think the Met can just let this Peter out after telling Sue Gray to hold back her hottest material in case ir prejudiced their investigations. There will have to be a few fixed penalty notices handed out at the very least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Met have been getting a bad reputation for a few years now to be honest, it's nothing new, just look at the report that came out about them last year after a certain murder was subject to an inquiry.

I didn't realise until today that Dick had a break from policing in the middle of the last decade, when she worked for the Foreign Office. I also didn't realise that Sajid Javid's brother is one of her deputies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You need 325 seats for control of the House of Commons. So if the above projection came to pass would Labour go into coalition with the SNP or the Lib Dems?

Presumably the SNP would make another Independence Referendum their price whereas the Lib Dems might ask for another referendum on the voting system (in order to introduce some form of PR).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus for a second I mistook the LibDem yellow for SNP yellow and was shocked to see some Northern English constituencies voting for a Scots independence party 😎

I couldn't see the SNP going onto coalition, just something about it feels like it'd tarnish their image as a sovereignty focused party. More likely a Labour/LibDem coalition, with some help from Wales or NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do people think this is Johnson actually revealing a strategy, or actaully trying to explain why he was making gaffs like he was doing it intentionally?

I think it is more likely to be the latter, than the former.

Not sure when exactly the video is from, suspect it might be from his time as London Mayor. Whatever his motivation, the sentiment of the tweet is still accurate.

Why exactly do sufficient numbers of people vote for the likes of him and his US version when they are clearly immoral and incompetent? I presume in both cases it's because they are voting more for the party than the individual.

• Advertisement

Mad how the map is still predominantly blue even when the Tories take a hammering.

Re the current shenanigans, such polls may not be as devastating to BoJo as at first glance. As the New Statesman points out, the British electorate is now very volatile, and a lot of those voters cfould reyurn to the Johnson-led Tories by the time of the election to a greater extent than they would under another leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And with Labour still focused on inhouse fighting and bickering, they're playing in to the Conservatives hands in being able to say later, 'Yes, we messed up a little bit, but look at the alternative'.

I don't think Johnson will be the Tory leader for the next GE anyway so they'll be able to add that all the mistakes were his and he's gone now.

This is probably a low point for them but I wouldn't be surprised if they were still favourites to be returned after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The map looks so blue because they are the more sparsely populated rural areas. Look in those blue areas and you will find all the little red cities. As for Johnson nothing in the polls or PM approval ratings suggest people will slink back to him. Ya its a long way away ( I know the party line ) but that time gap could just as easily make it worse for him.

Yeah you see the exact same thing in America when they show who each county voted for in the presidential elections. Rural counties are almost always won by conservative candidates. The thing that jumps out first is that almost the entire map is red apart from the coasts and little patches of blue here and there. If you then show the population densities though it all makes sense as most of those red areas are extremely sparsely populated while the blue areas are metro areas.

That lends to the expression "Land doesn't vote, people do". The gif in the tweet below shows it well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can easily see it if they can win a promise for another IndyRef. That'd be the only way, mind. They'd destroy themselves otherwise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

But he as at least a case to make to his parliamentary party:" Look the big black mark against me with the voters is this party stuff, and that'll be ancient history by the time the next election rolls around. And maybe the support I attracted at the last election was a mile wide and an inch deep, but there's at least a chance I can win it back, or most of it. Whereas Sunak, Truss, very best you'll get with them is a tie with Labour."

Might be enough to sneak him a vote of confidence.

I could be wrong but isnt the bottom corner of Cornwall not being blue a major shock ?

I know Devon is hardcore Tory but I thought Cornwall wass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe, it's a risky tactic though all the same. The minor parties in coalitions tend to shoulder the blame for anything that goes wrong; though seems here the Greens haven't learned much from the last time they did it; with the SNP they'd want to be very sure they could win the thing if it was worth getting in bed with a Labour government. I'd nearly speculate better to just hold the referendum and let Westminster blink first. If it's another No, less face is lost? Ack, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No NI figures to go on there unfortunately, but you'd expect ~8 SF abstentions to make it 322; plus the Speaker is one of the others also.

The likely 2, possibly 3 SDLP would be under the Labour whip (a 3rd SDLP seat would be the cost of SF though and change the numbers marginally).

A Lab bare minority, buying off Lib (22 with the one probable Alliance seat under whip), Plaid, SNP as required - SNP sit out English issues anyway - could work but it would be horrible to have to do and at the mercy of every pissed off backbencher, sweating every by-election.

I suspect the Lib Dems would insist on PR or no coalition this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭Patser

Cummings moving on, saying Johnson left top secret documents lying around everywhere on the No 11 flat, as Carrie had friends freely coming and going.

Noticeable that The Times are reporting this, a lot of Tories really hate Carrie

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1487487447823003652?s=20&t=D5c1pzW0Ph39l2kuf40YnA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think they've always been 'marginal veering towards Tory', but definitely not pin-a-blue-badge-on-a-donkey safe seats like you get in the Shires.

The most westward one (St Ives?) is a former Lib seat and perennial target for them which they tend to just miss out by a few points, and George Eustace's seat to the east was nearly taken by Labour in 2017.

Devon and Cornwall elected several Lib Dem MPs in the 2010 election:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't dump links here please. Post removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If SNP are Kingmakers they could demand independence rather than an Indyref.

For Tories the loss of Scotland would mean 50 fewer MPs in opposition which means they'll remain in power for another generation unless they screw the pooch.

For Labour it gives them a final chance to introduce PR before there is a loss of 50 opposition MPs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the next election is polarising then it's possible the combined Unionist MPs will equal or outnumber the Lib Dems in which case they'd be effectively the fifth party in a two party system.

Remember that Wales and Scotland will have fewer MPs as those seats are being transferred to England. It may skew the results.

Except Labour won't want to lose potential Labour seats while the Conservatives won't want to preside over the breakup of the union. There's no reason for Labour to introduce PR-STV or any other form of it when, as things stand, they need only surpass one party to win an election.

H. H. Asquith

Not so long ago Labour got just one seat in Scotland. Labour need to understand Scotland is gone. Forever.

PR is the way to stop the Conservatives. winning the next few elections. It will mean Labour will never get a pure hard left win. But that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future anyway. They need to understand what Realpolitik is.

There's a mountain of things the British left needs to understand. This doesn't mean that they will. Their dismal election record is testament to that. Part of the reason AV was rejected was that voters didn't understand it. I doubt most Irish people understand PR-STV but in the UK, there's no frame of reference. The Irish have been listing preferences on their ballots for decades whereas the British have been ticking single boxes. I just don't see Labour offering anything other than bland tweaks to the status quo or mass freebies, neither of which will lead to No. 10.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is there to understand about STV? You put the candidates in the order of your preference - easy, even a child could understand that.

The complexity of STV starts with the counting, and with the political parties trying to game the system. Then you get the voters trying to second guess the way the vote will go, and trying to adjust their preferences to favour their party candidates. Add in the media trying to scoop the result from the tallymen watching as the votes tumble out of the boxes. There you have the blood sport that is an Irish election.

By the way, the British system is not putting a tick in a box, it is putting a cross in that box - if that matters, or maybe, it is symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A polarising election will lead to Lib Dems getting elected in various middle class Tory areas that see them as the only plausible opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres no way the Labour parliamentary party will ever admit this to themselves no matter how many times the grassroots point it out. Also don't forget the unions have to be brought round and i still cannot comprehend why they voted it down at the conference last year.

By the way, the British system is not putting a tick in a box, it is putting a cross in that box - if that matters, or maybe, it is symbolic.

This sort of pedantry is a bit childish, no?

How votes are counted is incredibly important. Your attempt to belittle the intelligence of the people of this country is neither helpful nor fair. There is no experience of PR-STV or any other PR system here. Even watered down AV burned in flames in 2011 and cost us the Lib Dems as a political force. 47% of people turned out to vote it down and the media had no bother convincing people that whoever got the least votes would win. Even former MP David Laws reported that a constituent voted No because she thought he already worked hard enough.

Imagine the field day they'd have with something even more complicated. The only way it'll change is with a well funded campaign carried out over years to spread awareness. Not with sneering comments and snide insinuations.

H. H. Asquith

Many people in the UK experience of AV/PR. Scotland, NI, Wales and London are all using some sort of list or AV for instance.

• Advertisement

Sure but as we know, what England wants, England gets.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement