Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Putting any sentiment aside, just look at it plainly.

We have a country called Ireland and a portion is controlled by the UK.

I think it would be shameful to vote against uniting Ireland. We'd be known globally as a people who couldn't care less about a section of our country and its people.

Also I don't agree after a UI it would be worse than the troubles as someone suggested. There won't be a section of society getting murdered and burnt out by the authorities and everyone will have a vote. There won't be much appetite for insurrection. Especially with all the new boards and other jobs for the boys. Also anyone wanting to identify as British can already do so in the south.

We should completely cut ties with the religious orders pre UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Section of our island, not our country. There are two countries on our island. You are making a lot of assumptions about how well unionists would accept unification. There were murdering terrorist scum on both sides during the troubles, not just one. It would be naive to think the more ardent members of their community would accept having their union taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

It only hasn't been our country for less than 25 years, up until 1998 Northern Ireland was disputed territory claimed by both the Republic and Britain, it's quite sad you and a few others happily disown a section of our people, you claim to be proud of your country but realistically you have no loyalty to it and only care about your own little bubble, if the British had decided back then they wanted to take Donegal as well then you would happily not regard them as your countrymen either and say "they have nothing to do with us".

If a United Ireland happened then any campaign of violence by loyalists would be futile and would make no sense whatsoever, for one Britain would have to agree that they would actually take them back if they won the war against us, there would be no realistic possibility of Northern Ireland becoming part of the UK again so they would have no logical reason to launch a guerilla war against us.

Putting any sentiment aside

Except you've just placed sentiment first... Putting sentiment aside would mean focusing on the economic and social impact on both areas. Instead, you've chosen to project some kind of shame over not unifying. As for our global reputation, few people really care, or would care in the slightest. It's not as if we've covered ourselves with roses by not speaking Irish as our primary language.. and yet, again, few people abroad really care. Anyway, who cares what others think?

I prefer putting aside sentiment as opposed to a drop of 5-10% in the standards of living for most Irish people, and a serious reduction on disposable income, due to the taxation needed to cover the costs of unification... which would likely exist for decades, until the North managed to get itself in order. And that's without even dealing with the problems of unionism, republicanism, etc. There seems to be plenty of wishful thinking, rather than practical thinking going on...

NI was created by The Government of Ireland Act 1920 and Anglo Irish Treaty 1921 which ended the War of Independence, not by the 1998 Northern Ireland agreement which just repealed the Government Act. Harry, you can’t rewrite history to suit yourself. Donegal was never part of NI, so what is the point of saying “if”?

• Advertisement

It was still disputed territory claimed by both Britain and the Republic from when the 26 counties got their independence in 1937 up until 1998.

My point was that you don't see the people in the 6 counties as fellow Irish men and women, if the British decided they wanted to take Donegal as well, or Monaghan or Cavan you would happily disown them as well and say "they have nothing to do with me" I'm not looking for a reply I'm just stating the facts that who you regard as your fellow countrymen depended on which counties the British decided they wanted to take, Derry was and still is a majority Catholic county yet they decided they wanted to take it anyway because it was one of the most profitable counties of Ireland.

For most people though, they don't view the situation through your partitionist lenses and care about all the people of Ireland equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ship them out to the Falkland islands and let wave their silly flegs in peace. I'm fairly sure the Scottish don't want them back.

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

Not relevant to my point.

To the world, including many in the UK its all ours. Not saying thats accurate but its a view. Many don't even know what the deal is. My point is for us not to vote in favour of a UI would be embarrassing and shameful.

Not my point or angle.

I was pointing out...see above.

After seeing recession and complete economic meltdown and a return to the same, I don't think the economic possibilities are set in any way whatsoever.

We could just as easily see a new lease of life for the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nope section of our country, northern ireland is irish and it's occupation is illegal as it's on the basis of a treaty that was signed under duress via the threat of violence upon the irish people.

it is safe to say that while unionists may be unhappy about a UI, any trouble will only be rioting.

the troubles were a very different situation anyway in that 1 community was the victim of apartheid policies and wanted to remove those policies with the other community wanting to uphold them via violence.

if there is going to be severe trouble, it will be in the event of a yes vote in NI but a no vote in the ROI.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

The basis as Martin Maguinness saw it was that he saw a disenfranchised Protestant working class. High levels of unemployment coupled with a lack of opportunity sewed by divisions along tribal lines by people that believed in the same religious ideals nearly. When the day does come to combine both the Unionist minority whom will form 20 % maybe of our population, we should give recognition to their language (as much as a dialect that it is ) and make July 12th a national holiday. Reserve seats in the Dail for them to ensure they are represented. Hope is what they need to be given. Its going to be scary for them existing without being in control...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Was the GFA signed under duress?

• Recognised the legitimacy of any choice made by the people of Northern Ireland whether to continue as part of the United Kingdom (UK) or to become part of a united Ireland (the principle of self-determination)

Under what legislation was the treaty signed by the Irish delegation illegal?

Well it was signed under the threat of "immediate and terrible war"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

We give the ultimate recognition to their language as we speak it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Im speaking of Ulster Scots

Coincidentally we speak Hiberno English which is a very different dialect

Well if it’s important to them we can recognise Ulster Scots surely in a united Ireland. After all that’s what a new Ireland should be about, respecting each other’s cultures. Perhaps in the new Ireland we could ask both Irish and British people here how much they actually support Irish and Ulster Scots. I care for neither.

As are most piece treaties. Harry, we started the war of Independence, when we wanted to negotiate a treaty with an overwhelmingly stronger foe, it is inevitable that any negotiations are going to take place with the understanding that the stronger side can, and in this case will continue the conflict against the aggressor, Ireland. Are all treaties which end wars illegal because one side will continue to fight if it isn’t signed?

But that doesn’t answer the question I asked, under what legislation was the peace treaty signed by the Irish delegation illegal? Saying it was doesnt make it so, unless you can back it up.

So you even regard us as the aggressor during the war of independence? And they were not going to just keep fighting they were going to increase the intensity by ten and destroy us if we didn't go along with the treaty.

Can I ask this you this question first, are you even from Ireland? Or are you a Northern unionist in disguise trying to further your agenda? because I'm seriously debating that in my head.

The clue is in the name “War of Independence”, Ireland went to war to gain independence from Britain.

Yes, the full force of the British Army would be brought to bear on the Irish if the conflict continued, that is what tends to happen unless you negotiate for peace. And the weaker force with more to lose has to make concessions, otherwise the stronger force just continues the war. That is why Michael Collins said it was the best terms he could negotiate without the conflict continuing to its inevitable conclusion with a much larger occupying force.

I am Irish, I just don’t share your viewpoint. You seem to have a twisted version of what actually happened during the WoI and the negotiations which ended it.

And I’ll ask for the third time, what makes a negotiated treaty which ends a war illegal? Were the treaties/agreements which ended any other wars illegal because one side was willing to continue the war if the other didn’t agree to the terms for peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It is still bizarre to think there are people living in the North East corner of this Island who consider themselves British and not Irish despite being born in Ireland.

Britain is that other island to the East. By definition you can't be both British and Irish, you can be British or Irish.

If someone is born in Canada of British parents, they consider themselves Canadian of British extraction.

Why can't these people be Irish of British extraction? Sounds to me like they simply need a mindset change.

• Advertisement

Why can’t they?

They are born on the island of Ireland, but in a country which is part of the UK. It is not a stretch to see why they consider themselves both British and Northern Irish. Unionists feel they have more in common with the UK than Southern Ireland for a variety of reasons.

If you don’t understand that, then you don’t understand why there has been conflict between Nationalists and Loyalists in the North for a hundred years and why integrating Unionists into a unified Ireland will be such a monumental challenge.

It's bizarre for any Irish person to refer to us as the aggressor when talking about the war of independence, I've never even heard it before. This along with many of your recent post reinforces my belief that you are a Northern Unionist posing as someone from the 26 counties, you remind me of a previous poster on this site who goes by the name of downcow, he has been banned from the site I think.

The Irish negotiators were told by the British prime minister in the final hours of the negotiations that a failure to agree to the deal would mean "immediate and terrible war", it's not hard to see how the threat of force undermined the legitimacy of the treaty, the war before the negotiations was fairly low level, there was actually years of the war in the 6 counties during the troubles that were nearly as intense as in the whole of Ireland during the war of independence, there were minimal British soldiers deployed in Ireland, there were actually more British soldiers deployed in the 6 counties for most of the troubles than there was in all of Ireland during the war of independence.

The threat of immediate and terrible war was not a simple threat to resume the low level war that was already going on leading up to the negotiations, as any right minded person would realise. They would have introduced martial law and launched the full might of the British empire against Ireland, I don't see how you are trying to deny simple history, the treaty was signed under duress I never even heard anyone deny that before.

I suspect you call anyone who doesn’t share your viewpoint a “partitionist” or “Unionist”, I am neither, but I have no problem with you thinking I am just because I don’t agree with you.

All wars are terrible, the fundamental basis of negotiation to end a war is that both sides realise that one side has more to lose than the other, in this case Ireland had more to lose if war escalated. Hence why the losing side makes the greater concessions. Treaties/agreements to end wars are rarely if ever fair, all are signed under duress, most are signed out of necessity and for self preservation. I’m sure you have heard the term “to the victor goes the spoils”.

Given that I have asked repeatedly why a peace treaty would be illegal, and you have been unable to answer, Im going to take it that you don’t have an answer.

As someone brought up in a NI (moderate) unionist family but who now wants a UI, I think I could give some insight. However previous threads have taught me that some posters will get quite angry with me. So I won't.

Unfortunately, as you have no doubt encountered, open minds are not always guaranteed when emotive issues are discussed, some will only see one side without consideration for the other.

"Sounds to me like they simply need a mindset change."

A mindset change. If it could be organized would you be interested in giving a speech on the matter at this July's Craigyhill bonfire in Larne.

Please do. Some on this thread haven't read what your opinions are on the subject. If someone gets a bit shirty at your opinions just ignore them.

Sure, a possible (no guarantees) new lease of life for the North at the expense of the South. And the expenses paid by the South are guaranteed, with very little assurance that it would pay for itself within our lifetimes, and possibly still be a net loss for the next generation or so.

You refer to recession and economic meltdown, but seem to want to ignore what the world economy, or even the European economy is going to be like because of covid, the rising costs for oil/energy, etc. A number of European economies are crumbling, and Ireland will need to support them somewhat, which adds to the tax burden for most Irish people. It's a head in the sand attitude ignoring that the Republic is likely to see some economic hard times over the next decade or two...

I find that the people who are so interested in unification tend to ignore the costs involved, but also, hold some unrealistic belief that the Irish economy will continue to be strong during the whole time that the North will need to be supported. This is not some short-term investment to be finished within a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

died out in cork ? more like burned out harry, then again some would like that to happen in the north too ,

best way for a peace full and happy UI is not to have PSF involved

• Advertisement

No head in the sand. It could all go horribly wrong as much as go well. Let's get rid of munster. It doesn't contribute that much and the rest of us would be better off. I mean if were talking expense.

I'm not ignoring the costs. Some people have different priorities. I don't say, 'let me call my accountant' if looking after family. We had an economic meltdown doing what we were told. **** happens either way. We came out the other end having changed very little. Covid or not we will have another recession/crash anyway. You say, "the Irish economy will continue strong". A strong economy means nothing to somebody working, paying tax and needing a handout to pay the rent.

Advertisement