Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I used Deirdre in Park Financial and I couldn't recommend her enough. Made everything so much easier, and lovely to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kcaj90

Congratulations! Did your broker inform you how you qualified for the exemption? I.e good savings? Income? Net disposable income? Or a combination of them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kcaj90

Congratulations! Did your broker inform you how you qualified for the exemption? I.e good savings? Income? Net disposable income? Or a combination of them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Income/job, What I did was contact the broker and said this is the house I want, please get me as much as possible. He was great. ( I was very panicked and worried) He went and got it from PTSB. He spelt it all out for me. If Iwas you, if your broker is saying no, try another one and if they cant get you it. Ask why to see what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How do brokers actually work in relation to get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

They usually get 1% of the morgage value. Example: 300k morgage - bank pays broker 3k.

There is usually a period you have to stay with the bank for the broker to get paid and if you leave its you who has to pay the broker

Something to add. A broker should only be used if you envisage an issue with your application due to one reason or another or like in the case of Avant they only communicate with brokers.

Why? They remove so much of the hassle and the bank pay their fee in most cases. My application was straightforward but it was wonderful having them chase the bank and only needing to do one set of forms.

Typically no, they get paid by the bank as long as you stick to the terms and conditions....... at least in the 20 or 30 examples I know off.

• Advertisement

What chasing and why would you have to do more than one set of forms.

How to get a morgage if you application is straight forward:

1.Find bank with lowest interest rate

2. Apply to bank

3. Give forms they ask for.

4. get approval

It's that easy.

I've done the process twice in the last 2 years. First time direct with ulster Bank second through a broker with avant... if anything the broker was more hassle.

Then you had a bad broker.

I applied to three institutions to see who would give me the most. Got a range of offers and loan terms.

Mine also helped navigate the whole thing, was able to hassle the bank when they were being slow, advised on bidding and was able to get a valuer out at last minute when a sale that had looked like it was going to fall through actually went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The good thing about a broker is I would imagine they have better access to the bank. Likely dedicated manager for dealing with brokers. A broker is worth lot of business so imagine they get better treatment. If there is contentious elements maybe they have access to people with more discretion. I had no issue going direct to UB first time. So far broker seems fine. Though I am doing a switch and looking to top up for extension so seems grey as to whether any of the avants, finance ireland etc do these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You received absolutely nothing extra, and had no less hassle, than someone who went with a broker, so can’t see why you’re so against them?

In fact you say ‘find the bank with the lowest rate’ when that’s part of the job for the broker.

Having compared my situation’s (broker) with my sister who went through it on her own, I can’t recommend going through a broker enough.

Now of course, you can have bad brokers and bad mortgage advisors in banks so anecdotal evidence can’t be trusted but I’d have no problem in recommending a broker for most people. Particularly as for many it isn’t as regular an event as it seems to be for you

See who would give you the most? It's 3.5 times your earnings.

If you looking for an exemption or every last cent then that's not a Straightforward application and if you see my first post on brokers it holds true therfore you have countered you own point.

I'd love to hear about the advice he gave you on bidding. Something along the lines of go up in 5s and then drop to 2.5s or else go up to what you can... I know a dn estate agent and all bidding advice he hears about is bolox. Highest price gets it unless its a first time buyer where he will advise to take a lower bid to avoid a train scenario

Sales falling through and all. Nothing about your scenario sounds straightforward 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

Hi all, I just have been denied a mortgage at BOI for the reason I applied for a sole mortgage while the property might be occupied by my partner and two kids. The bank of course prefers to have us apply for a joint mortgage, but most countries have legislation that allows even wed couples to apply for sole mortgage if it makes more sense for them. Not the good 'ol Ireland, where the banks are running the game and there is almost no competition at play. Just to clarify, I applied for sole mortgage as I would be eligible for HTB as a first-time buyer. Any recommendations of advice, maybe from someone in a similar situation that had a mortgage approval?

BTW. My earnings are in check and have solid employment, as well as no other commitments.

Thanks!

With regards to the first point. Do you think banks pay these guys and don't recoup it in some way. They factor it into the cost of doing business and use this to calculate interest rates.

Secondly on the first point. I'm two years into a four year fixed rate. I'm currently breaking the fixed rate and switching from 2.6 (which was the best rate at the time) to 1.95 which is currently the lowest and fixing for 7 years. Had I used a broker I would now be liable to him for 3.3k.

With regards to your second point. Finding the lowest rate takes 30 seconds online (bonkers and fill in details)

Using a broker for a bit of ease as people see it could affect you down the line financially.

First of all bank of Irelands rates are one of the worst so avoid them.

Why can you not apply with your partner. Are they not a first time buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Depend on what type of house you're buying, in some cases they are the cheapest.

Your right. I had a look there and they are offering 2.0 green mortgage above 80%LTV.

Very surprised to see them so competitive with the morgage sector shrinking.

Edit: even haven are there. Anyone on a fixed rate with these should look into breaking and switching internally to cash in while the going is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Our broker got us a 4.5x exception in 2018. When we first went to him he audited our finances and was able to tell us what we needed to clear to ensure smooth sailing, gave us advice about a work scenario that arose (a good job offer post-approval which was a big step up salary wise but came with a probation period that would have snookered our application) and helped us navigate a few other things that arose. Before we went to him I was dealing with AIB and UB myself and both experiences were awful. Couldn't get a straight answer and they didn't seem fussed on whether or not we went through them or not, it was hard to get someone on the phone whereas our broker was a single point of contact who chased up on everything for us.

You needed an exemption. That's the definition of an application that's not straightforward. In your case a broker was definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

We didn't NEED one specifically. We met with him with a list of questions, one of them was exemption related. In the end we did go that route because the broker (who is also a financial advisor) went through our finances with us and suggested that it would be an option for us if we did X and Y. He didn't push (presumably a larger mortgage loan for us was a larger commission for him), he prepared us for the two scenarios and handled all of the back and forth with the bank. We absolutely could have done it ourselves but as far as I'm concerned it's a free resource who knows the process and can get you an answer to questions much quicker than the bank staff.

So if you were to go to a broker, they get you a mortgage approval, but you fail to buy a house...is it just sh!t luck for the broker or is there a fee...

Just curious about how they work

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

The brokers operate on a commission fee with claw back basis that if you leave the lender you drew down with within the first 3 years, the lender will take back some of their commission. This is in their terms and conditions they all have to advertise on their websites. It's not always the person taking the mortgage that is liable to pay it. Each broker will have their own way to handle it, for some it's a cost of doing business. They would just get a pro-rata rate of commission.

She was able to advise on what her clients had bid recently on similar properties in my area and who had been successful. PPR takes months to update and EAs rarely tell you what properties are sale agreed at. She was exactly right on the closing price of the two main properties I was looking at.

The vendors of my house thought their sale was going to fall through, but it got sorted out. Issues with chains are insanely common.

20% of mortgages are exceptions and obviously make up a good bit more than 20% of applications. There was a 10-15% price inflation on house prices in a year. I don't know anyone that applied for a mortgage this year that didnt try for exception.

My broker was really helpful and didnt cost me anything. If you don't want to use one you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

In my experience the broker said they sometimes charge fees. I was told there will be none. I suspect it comes down to them working out likelihood of success. If it's gonna be challenging case and may not get approved they may want fee to fall back on. The great thing is there is loads of brokers and all are competing for business. So shop around. None of it's rocket science so you should be unlucky to get a bad one.

So your scenario wasn't straight forward and you needed a broker. Simple.

For the majority of people a broker is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

Yes, that is correct. She has property in another country as well as a prior (repaid) mortgage. That's one of the reasons I want to apply for a sole mortgage. Based on the info I got from a mortgage broker, it is difficult but may be possible to get from other banks. Will see how that goes.

Anyway, still looking for anyone successful with a similar situation in Ireland. Would bring my spirits back up :).

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 hudo

I know that I am not eligible for First Time Buyer 10% deposit thing, since i have (inherited) real-estate outside of Ireland, but do they really check that? BOI or AIB.

Advertisement