Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Starting to get concerned about Leinsters prospects this season. There has been a noted deterioration in team performances, especially with regards to the back up players. There are too many unenforced errors especially in the opposition 22. So many knock ons and turnovers.

We were a genuine disgrace at the ruck today. I think we must have been close to double figures conceded at that area alone? We aren't protecting our ball the way we should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Can't complain with the loss at the end, in full control of the game put turned over again, allowing the Cardiff prop top look like prime Pocock.

Penalty seemed soft but won't be too hard on Mike he had to play the full 80, really should gave Vakh a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Poor game management. The long range kick at goal should have been put in the corner and gone after the bonus point. With a minute to go losing the turnover is pretty shocking as well. You got to be happy for Cardiff though, some celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I really don't.

Shite stuff from Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

The new format in the URC has completely derailed the team. No consistency at all, so many rusty players.

Completely agree about the ruck, terrible that it was not addressed at all.

I have a feeling all season this will not be a good one. Missing a massive spark and just look off. They will come unstuck in the tougher matches later this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

What was a starting tighthead prop doing on pitch at 80 minuites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Less games and more off weeks due to games not being played in international windows that meant the squad played more and were sharper.

What's interesting and concerning is that Leinster are showing weaknesses in their game which they haven't in previous seasons. The inability to protect their own ball is a concern, but it's not the only area.

In our two defeats this season Ulster essentially strangled us up front and kept us pinned back with box kicks. That's a game plan which Munster have tried against us and failed with on a number of occasions over the years. Yet Ulster found a chink in the armour.

Cardiff exploited issues with our backfield positioning and put some lovely chip kicks behind our defence to regather. These issues weren't there a season or two ago. There's a plan to beat Leinster now that isn't just to pummel us up front for 80 minutes ala Saracens or La Rochelle.

All this is caveated by the fact that both defeats have occurred at times when we're missing 15/20 players. Our first string is still hitting a very high level of performance. But the years of being able to rotate in the newer academy graduates and still see tremendous continuity in performance appears to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Horrible way to lose a game. Leinster not at their best, but they did enough to win the game. However, hard to argue against Cardiff winning. Hugh kick and he nailed it. Was definitely a penalty, ref didn’t see until someone whispered in his ear. Harry B has much to learn yet…

• Advertisement

At least we've now three home fixtures on the bounce starting the weekend after next. It's a good chance to build some continuity in performance with the test players away in international duty.

I think there's definitely an issue with the lack of gametime some of our players have this season. Decision making has been poor when once it wasn't. We're playing with the same shape as the first team regulars. Lots of support runners flooding the channels waiting for offloads or acting as decoys for the actual next receiver. But we're making far more errors in the 22 than the Champions Cup side would for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But the 6 nations hasn't started yet..

It's not the format, it's Covid, which is not the fault of the URC at all

Why do so many rugby fans constantly sh1t on our league all the time?

So much negativity and then they complain that people don't go to games or follow the tournament.

I love the Pro-14, URC, etc. I think they're every bit as competitive and interesting as the top 14 or Gallagher Premiership, even better in some respects

Well, the international window hasn't started yet, so how is that an excuse?

Stay with me on this, Leinster are so well drilled that a team that can play with no structure are the nightmare for them, a team like Zebre that are so mad no one knows what's going on could take them apart if they had quality players, however quality players will play to a structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There were no games for five weeks around October and November. The knock on effect was that the games in December were Connacht and Bath which the first string had to play so the second and third strings essentially didn't play for two plus months.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Byrne got burnt badly for the try! looks like he was day dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Even bod said he was wrong in his judgement of hype byrne. Bod was the one who put the spotlight on him unfairly and listeners lapped it up. without ever watching him play everyone just presumed he was amazing because bod said so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The only group more annoying than the Byrne-hype group are the group of people hoping for Byrne to fail.

Byrne has had a poor 12 months partly down to injury and Covid enforced absences. Think he missed about 5 months last season through injury alone.

After that he just hasn't had enough gametime to get back into things. But to say he's just hype or been terrible in most matches is just incredibly dishonest.

Also, on player performances I think we're seeing Toner and Cronin really starting to struggle. Neither can make the impact on games they used to. Cronin's carrying especially lacks it's old power. Not sure we can afford to have both in the same line up anymore.

• Advertisement

Same happened for a lot of other teams, most don't have the strength and depth to have 10 internationals on their 2/3 strength team so that's no excuse.

I've Ross Byrne and thought he would have been a better fit for Munster than Joey, kind of happy now we didn't get him, he's limited and in any other team he'd be anonymous

Caused by covid restrictions, not by the URC format

That group comprises a membership of zero

Nobody, except maybe his brother, wants Harry Byrne to fail

Munster don't want Harry Byrne. Munster and Munster fans also do not want Harry byrne to be scapegoated or villianised

Harry Byrne is a very good rugby player. He may very well become an elite 10. But there are a lot of other players fighting for that same elusive spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lol. There's plenty of people waiting for him to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's not true. There were no games for five weeks between October and November because of the international window. It was nothing to do with Covid.

I'm not saying other teams suffered less or more, am merely pointing out that usually there are games through this period where we'd normally have gametime for those down the depth chart. That's down to the new URC format. Not Covid.

As has been said it’s not just the 6 Nations window that I’m talking about here. October/November window also.

Also not all just down to Covid either.

Terrible might have been an over reaction on my behalf but he hasn’t been great and I do acknowledge a whole host of factors in his performances.

I really do hope he comes good, I suppose my reaction is from people way more knowledgeable then me on these things saying he was brilliant or the potential to be brilliant when it just hasn’t really happened for him. Again due to a lot of factors added in with the less URC and Leinster A games I can’t see were his development is going to come from as he needs consistent game time and an injury free run. That won’t be helped when moving in to the business end of the season however the 3 home matches in a row in February should help.

I do agree also there is a group more then happy if he doesn’t progress for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Hard day at the office last night. Definitely agree with Clegg that we are seeing the twilight and rapidly approaching end of Dev and Seanie. Tracey coming on saw a big increase in energy.

I've huge sympathy for guys like Scott Penny, Harry Byrne etc who have had little continuity. Harry needs gametime. He needs time to get his continuity and his confidence.

Advertisement