Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Technically we have done better this winter than winter 2019/2020 where the PV went to record breaking levels throughout that winter and temperatures generally stayed around 13C throughout that winter and daily deluges. It is also the only winter I can ever remember where I didn't see a single flake of snow fall. The first flakes did not fall until mid March. This winter has had 1 brief burst of wet snow that allowed some sugar coating onto the grass, better than nothing I suppose.

Opening week of February is looking like some very mild temperatures possibly mixed with cooler interludes from the north-west so snow looks very unlikely away from high ground for the first week. The 2nd, 3rd and final week of February and indeed winter is up for grabs right now but I expect Atlantic domination to take place or settling back to high pressure. There is a remote chance of some real cold time will tell.

If todays CFS long range verified we would be having an increasingly chilly February with March and April opening up regular cool and cold spells, more in line with what many believed this winter would deliver.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

just a quick update from Sweden

the cold weather is returning here from Monday onwards with temperatures forecast to be well below freezing for at least a week even in the south with heavy snow due in many areas so hopefully it helps increase Ireland's chances of some snow by the first weekend in Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Here we are doing better than winters 2016-17, 2018-19, and 2019-20 up to this point. We had snow on January 7th this year. The only snow in 2016-17 was February 28th (November 2016 also brought snow but I won't count it), 2018-19 did not bring a single flake here (March 2019 delivered lying snow but again, it doesn't count) while for 2019-20, February 2020 brought a number of days with snow. So overall, 2019-20 had more snow here than this winter but we still have February 2022 to beat February 2020. The best we can hope for is a flurry or two from a northwesterly or a near zero chance of a SSW happening and working out well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is turning into my favourite winter in a while, last Tue or Wed I was doing some running in the local park, tshirt and shorts and it was fantastic and its great cycling weather too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Awful for weather enthusiasts but great for everyone else really, so easy to get out and do things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd like a good blast of the beast from the east for a week then the rest of the winter to be just like it has been this year. Wind and rain i can do without. As winters go i'd rate this pretty highly as a result.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The dry and very mild winter pattern is slowly but surely coming to an end. It will remain largely dry until Sunday when some light rain may affect the northern half of the country. Southern parts could remain dry until next Tuesday or Wednesday and then it will generally turn more unsettled with 30-50mm of rain expected in north-western areas by the end of next weekend, some of this could be wintry in nature as we head into February as brief cold snaps may occur between sections of mild air. These cold snaps while zonal could still pack a punch with upper air temperatures as low as -8C at times possible which would be cold enough to produce sleet and snow showers to lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

A new named storm from the met office, be prepared for Eastern Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Tabloids headlines

"Strom with snow and low temperatures heading towards Ireland"

The actual article

The storm and snow will miss Ireland and batter the UK......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of up to 100 km/h, higher in coastal areas and on high ground.

Valid: 03:00 Saturday 29/01/2022 to 09:00 Saturday 29/01/2022

Yellow - Wind Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Derry

Another wind warning for Sunday for Derry,Antrim and Down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like another storm for Sunday night into Monday for Scotland and Eastern England even Northern Ireland in warnings too

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

I predict a `gentle breeze`

getting tired of how many times weather predictions come to naught..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

18z is showing fun and games for the South Midlands from 9th-12th...long way off yet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Malin Head reporting 40kts gusting 58kts at 0800.

First decent bit of wind in while!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Would love to be waking up in New York or Boston this morning. Strong north east wind , below freezing and snow for the day.

TAF for Boston airport

KBOS 290541Z 2906/3012 02014KT 1SM -SN BR OVC020 FM290900 02019G34KT 1SM -SN BR OVC010 FM291200 02022G39KT 1/4SM +SN OVC007 FM292200 32019G36KT 1/2SM SN OVC012 FM300000 32018G36KT 3SM BLSN BKN060 FM301000 29015G29KT P6SM FEW200

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭pauldry

Woke to wind so didn't do parkrun as thought it was lashing. When awoke at 10am we haven't had a drop of rain. Just strong winds. Saving more and more for February. At this rate we'll see 200mm in February. 50mm in January is very low for the Northwest though Sunday and Monday might add 20mm to that.

Front gave us 3 mins of drizzle in Arklow followed by this ☝️

Models are already toying with the idea of bringing the high pressure back or close to us just to the south for second half of February and into March. It will become more unsettled over the coming week to 10 days but like all the unsettled spells over the past 8 months it may only be temporary. If we can get this with southerly winds then temperatures of 15 or 16C or possibly higher could happen as we head towards March.

At this stage I would love this weather pattern to generally stay with us till at least the end of August. This winter has been non existent and from Monday we begin the road to Spring with March only 4 weeks away. I've lost complete interest in saving what's left of winter this late into the season with no real signs of any cold weather any time soon.

If we could maintain the general pattern of several weeks of high pressure followed by a week or 2 of unsettled conditions then back to high pressure, that would make a very pleasant Spring and potentially very warm to hot summer. This pattern of keeping the high pressure either over us or close to us just to the south has been with us since July. It gave us a decent summer, a very warm September, an unseasonal warm November and a very mild and bland winter. This pattern would be capable of producing remarkably warm and dry spells during Spring and the forthcoming summer and I think that is a pattern worth holding onto till Summer 2022 is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I think at best a decent spring and maybe first half of summer ,think it would be very difficult to maintain this pattern right through till end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's beginning to feel like all bets are off with our weather. When you can get a winter this mild but also dry then something unusual is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grand day in Kerry, breezy earlier but lightened as the day went on, good bright spells, bit cloudier late afternoon. Got up around 11C

Pic: Tralee Bay late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not that unusual, 2016-17 and 2018-19 were also mild and dry winters. 2018-19 was Ireland's mildest winter on record too. Both of them coincidentally featured quite dry Januaries also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

We just had the mildest autumn on record as well. In my life I never witnessed such a long boring period of nothingness for this long of a period over autumn and winter. 6 hours snow cover one morning in December and a days worth earlier this month. Barely any frost and no proper windstorms. Often dry but completely overcast.

For the average person it's probably great but for me without doubt the longest most uninteresting period of weather I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Or perhaps the unusual is becoming the usual. Our winters seem to be getting more and more blander.

Nothing to look forward to our winters anymore. Though every winter i keep thinking maybe next year .Winters were always my main weather interest since I was a kid but nowadays they are just so uninteresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That frequency of mild, dry bland winters in a short timeframe is notable to be fair but this winter on its own ain't that noteworthy or unique. Before 2016-17, when was the last very mild and dry winter? 1988-89? 1991-92? There were a couple of mild and relatively dry winters in the 2000s but not in the same category as those mentioned or the gruesome duo of 74-75 and 75-76.

Looking at the national mean as of January 28th, this winter stands as the joint third mildest since 2010 behind 2018-19 and 2011-12. Though all winters before this one have February considered into their calculation and February 2019 was exceptionally mild, it is unlikely that February 2022 will be on the same level of mild but not impossible and can't ever doubt it in these times.

2018-19 7.1C

2011-12 6.5C

2021-22 6.3C

2016-17 6.3C

2015-16 6.3C

2019-20 5.9C

2013-14 5.9C

2012-13 5.1C

2020-21 5.0C

2014-15 5.0C

2017-18 4.9C

2010-11 3.3C

2009-10 2.5C

I would probably say this autumn/winter has been the most bland period of weather since autumn/winter 2011-12 which was also a very mild autumn and winter (as shown above) with the infamous February 2012 Europe cold wave that avoided Ireland included.

Reanalysis shows just how stubborn the high pressure has been since June with Ireland having the highest positive pressure difference. Not necessarily indicative of where the high pressure has been placed as this is relative to average but it's a stubborn fella this high pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We got the clear skies in Waterford last night beautiful frosty morning -2c.

Last night was Arklows 8th air frost in January and 14th ground frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just read your post and thought, geez Arklow is getting alot more frost than here this month. But last night was the 10th air frost of January. Just seemed like alot less than that!

Overnight low was -1.9c at South Laois.

• Advertisement

I think what's happening here is slow arrival of night time cloud cover to the wexford Sth Wicklow coast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement