Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,719 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The same amount who just believe everything CNN says, despite it not even being available to watch in Ireland without jumping through numerous hoops.

Yet for some reason it's something that's often been thrown out here as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is CNN not on Sky or anything? (genuine question)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so they believe everything said on a channel that they can't watch? well that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jumping through hoops? Have you ever heard of YouTube?

Actually fair point, does seem to be on Sky alright. Still though, I think it's only used as insult here because it's a common comeback by US Trump supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What is with Trumpists and memes? I suppose when you're incapable of having an adult discussion, there's not much else left to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He's a low life scumbag criminal.

There is no comparison between him and and current or previous president.

There can be no rational debate on this point.

Discussion over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Didn't he have the option to pardon some of these people in the last days of his presidency?

• Advertisement

Pardon, to Trump, like Talk, is cheap. Would'nt put it beyond Donny to come out with an utterance like he would have the crowd financially recompensed were he successfully re instated.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And people think he would actually win if he ran again.

Independents will NOT like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If he pardoned them they would have been able to implicate trump at no risk to themselves so he took the cowards way out (as he has done for absoltely everything his entire life).

Most of them will have fully served their sentences by the time he could even get back in to pardon them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

Can't use that to get votes. Need em in jail so he can promise to release them for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He's signally to those who would try again in 2024 that he'll pardon them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Surely this is giving the powers that be even more ammunition in their cases against him with regards to incitement etc.

He seems to be digging a bigger deeper hole for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm taking this as a sign that he thinks the wolves are circling and so he's planting the seed in his supporters minds to start civil unrest.

The Democrats are weak in how they are reacting to him on a PR level. I'd be in favour of OBama giving public commentary on how the office of the White House was weakened by what happened on Jan 6th but of course Fox would sh*t themselves in outrage at a former President talking publicly about things wouldn't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭briany

"I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness, and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and Federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders. America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law, you will pay."

-- Donald Trump, January 7th, 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly the reason why he commuted Roger Stones conviction instead of giving him a pardon - Making sure that Stone could still hide behind the 5th Amendment.

Also , during that same rally he also called all the investigations into him "racist" for some reason and asked that all his followers get out on the streets for the "biggest protests there have ever been" across the country should any of these investigators do anything "illegal" which I guess for Trump means "find him guilty"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes.

It pains me to say it, but I believe that if Trumps runs in 2024 he has a realistic chance of winning. His supporters will remain loyal regardless of anything, have you not noticed this? This compares strakley to his adversaries are actually held accountable for their actions by the electorate.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And his supporters weren’t enough for him last time.

Independents are the ones who have to think long and hard about who they vote for.

I’ll ask you the same question I ask everyone else. What makes you believe the independent voters will go back to Trump?

His base doesn’t matter a sh*te on their own. He needs swing voters to get over the line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - Simple question to answer , why would someone who didn't vote for Trump the last time change their vote to him if he runs again?

Not being happy with Biden really doesn't scan.

I've already said this , but the best news for any Biden campaign in 2024 would be that Trump was the opponent as that would instantly remove any hint of voter apathy and Democrat tendency to stay home if they aren't "feeling it" .

He does still have a chance though not because more people will vote for him but because of the wholesale Election rigging going on by the GOP.

Every day there are new reports of further changes to voting rules and even more worryingly - changes to the certification process in various Swing states.

The GOP have not intention of wining the next election on the basis of having a better policy portfolio that the Democrats , they plan to win by making sure that they limit Democrat voters access and when that doesn't work they will have changed the rules so they can simply ignore results they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I detest trump and all he stands for but he has a very good chance of getting in in 2024. More than he has in 2016: As much as I detest the man, there is no denying the fact that Biden does not have the force that trump has.

On top of this you have the proven, demonstrable, quantifiable rigging laws that the GOP are putting in place.

Trump and his klan always went on about rigged machines (Looking for bamboo particles in machines indicating they were made in China. Yes really), "dead" voters, people voting multiple times (Only cases found were trump klan members). But these rules they are bringing in serve NO other purpose than to restrict Democrat demographics. This is provable with verifiable empirical facts (As opposed to Guiliani presenting a drunk woman yelling at a judge as a "witness")

I only put that paragraph there because klan members LOVE to say an election was rigged..... And I am saying they are now right. And the GOP are the party doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

>>As much as I detest the man, there is no denying the fact that Biden does not have the force that trump has.

explain how biden got 10M more votes than Trump then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Interesting. His supporters turned out in record number in 2020 and he lost in a landslide. Do you honestly believe he’s wooed back independents with his behaviour since losing?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

That's the question really. My guess / hope is that he hasn't. Back in 2016, he had the benefit of the doubt for many, and those who didn't know better he was just that reality TV Billionaire with an eye for business who to some of the electorate was somewhat less annoying that Hillary Clinton.

By now everyone who isn't MAGA know better. They now know the brand of crass stupidity that follows anything that encounters that guy's reverse Midas-touch. Every time he kicks off about something, or his more vocal idiot supports like Lindell kick off, he could be reminding the independent voters about those very stupid 4 years and that a vote for Trump or by extension the GOP is a vote for more of that.

I like to recon that many of the votes for Biden were essentially a vote against Trump. 2024 might hopefully be more of that if all of this "Stop the Steal, Jan 6, JFK Jr is coming back!" nonsense if kept front and center to remind everyone what is still at stake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As I stated in my post I believe he has a "realistic chance of winning", I do not see it as a forgone conclusion.

There are difficult times ahead for the present administration. I see the following in Trump's favor:

1) More responsible environmental policies cost the electorate more money. Trump's pollution friendly policies will put more money in people's pocket in the short term. Many people will vote for the person that they think will make them wealthier, simple as. Let's not forget, Trump believes in reviving the coal industry!

2) Trump is a master at spreading disinformation. God only knows what he will unleash next and how may will believe it.

3) The financial repercussions of covid that Biden will have to deal with are massive and this will hurt many. Sufficient numbers may conclude that Trump would have handled the situation better.

4) Some independents may simply vote for Trump because he is "anti-establishment" and things are not working out for them. Like a protest vote.

5) If the whole "Russia situation" goes south, this could also work in Trump's favour.

6) Arrogance: Many Democratic voters may assume that they don't need to vote. Big mistake!

He won in 2016 against all odds. It was like Brexit, many did not vote because they never thought that Brexit would happen.

Although he lost in 2020 people still voted for him in record numbers despite everything! The mind boggles. Can you explain how he convinced so many to vote for him???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would wager that the 70+ million people who turned out for Trump still largely believe in him and his message. The trick would be to minimise apathy on the other side - the bloc who turned out 80+ million strong. Biden's an old hand, and a capable politician in the conventional sense, but he's not a particularly inspirational figure. Kamala Harris seems a divisive figure, like she's a target for all the guff about gender/race quotas and seems too left-leaning for middle-America. I think because of the way the Democratic party's machinery works, favouring entrenched Democrat establishment politicians as presidential nominees, they'll be making life difficult for themselves in 2024 and will have to go the route of reminding everyone of how bad Trump and Trumpism could be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement