Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number plates

Options
  • 06-01-2022 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Looking for recomendations based on yer expirience with (good quality) custom number plates. Not the shite the the dealer puts on the bike were they make the numbers out of badly cut electrical tape.

It needs to be a custom size to fit a mud guard with a license plate holder as I am removing that silly rear fender that comes from the factory.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

These are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Yep, have used them on all my import bikes too. Great value, quality and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Thanks, there was a few sites and I remeber coming across this. There is alot of scam sites so hard to make a call without a recomendation. will give these a shot once I have the mud guard as theres 3 different sizes for motorbikes.

What is the finish on those mandatory plates? perspex finish like a car plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Goose81

I’ve always ordered mine from Signs and systems in Galway, never been there just get them posted to me. Very high quality plates, printed on what looks like thick aluminium but the centre is probably made of something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I've used https://www.german-pressed-plates.com a few times for my bike plates, very good quality. you can get acrylic ones like or actual pressed steel plates

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

How small a number plate would you get away with without getting bothered by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Mine is absolutely tiny, 2 inches by 7 I think.

I have had different experiences though, depends on the bike. If it's a 10 + year old in bits you will get stopped if it's brand new and just tricked out you won't get stopped.

That's my experience

• Advertisement

Because the standard ones completely ruin the look of a bike that was never designed with plates that size on it

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

It’s purely a stupid Irish thing. You’ll never see a Spanish Dutch English or French bike with a dodgy plate compared to the Paddy’s. Who cares if the bike wasn’t designed for a plate that size ? You can’t see the plate when you’re riding the bike. The Hoodie wearing bikers that race the circuit of Howth on Sunday all have tiny plates. I think it’s a penis thing in reverse. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Definitely think a small plate looks better. A nice tail tidy and a big number plate wouldn't look good to me. Everyone has different tastes I guess

Whatever, I'm not having my new bike wear rotten plates. It's tricked out enough not to look ****, there's no hoodie biker going around howth on a 20k bike so I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks , you are completely wrong aswell with your assumptions it's an Irish thing. The bikes were not designed to wear 1 foot square plates no matter what country you are in and Ireland and the UK are unique in our requirement of ridiculous size plates

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1 foot square plates

Did you ever see a bike with plates this big?

Small, faraway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

Not a fan of the really small plates myself ,I have no problem with my normal square plate (must be like 15cm ?) on a tail tidy on mine and think it looks ok could go a small bit smaller but its fine as is.

I only recently saw for the first 2 bikes with the tiny plate stuck up under the seat by the fender swingarm(which to me is very american youtubey) both looked like young fellas so made sense. just looks stupid and draws unwanted attn if you ask me.

I went for this size, never been stopped by the Garda, well I have but they never mentioned the plates, have another Strom now with the same size plate.

Sold both of these now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Legal size plates are 520mm x 110mm for oblong or 340mm x 220mm for squareish plates. Legally half that size is what is allowed so 260mmx 55mm and 170mm x 110mm for the square type.

I think the size you can buy for bikes is around 230 x 75 and 180 x 130 which is not huge by any means.

There is a good deal of leeway given here, you can choose from a range of fonts and styles as long as the characters are 35mm high x 5mm stroke width in size for bikes in comparison to many other countries that mandate the font used.

Thats size looks great on the chopper style bike! Anything smaller wouldn't look as well as that size does! Cool bike btw. Mine is probably the next size down from that

In the end I went with https://www.irishnumberplates.ie/ and got a square 178x127 and its just the right size for the mud guard. there was a smallert one than tht but I made a template and it was about the size of those squre box of fags ye used to be able to buy 🤣 it would have got me pulled over for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just measured mine. It's 240mm x 80mm.

It's 100% legal I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got mine from Irishnumberplates last week, not happy with it.

The top line is OK and centred on the second year digit.

The bottom line is not centred and one side has 3x the white space of the other side.

It makes the plate look wonky.

I am going to give them a ring next week. I am not OCD about many things but the plates should look OK.

Ill have to double check my one now! at first glance it seemed alright. I have yet to fix it onto the mud guard, I am waiting on a licsene plate light and bullet connectors and honda conectors to wire it up.

Advertisement