Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Young people aren't being stopped from going to the gym, for goodness sake.

Basically everyone is vaccinated (except a few nutjobs on twitter and this is a cheap lesson for them that their decisions have consequences).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there are certainly people out there miscalculating their risks , the other anecdotes I saw recently of people in ICU regretting their decision to not get vacced that were described as "healthy" had more chins than a chinese phone directory so their thought process must have been mind boggling

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

~10% of 18-34's in Ireland are not vaccinated, and something like only a third of Eastern Europeans here have taken the vaccine , that's a wee but more then some people on twitter. Clearly its enough for gyms or some of them anyway to notice a sudden drop off in memberships.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yeah, a shame, if they were vaxxed then they wouldn’t be in there irrespective of their BMI.

At this stage I tend to agree with JayRoc that it’s a nutty fringe who are the hold outs, they’re going to be hard to reach.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That does make the regulation a tad racist so! NPHET in their wisdom have imagined gyms to be places of risky mass gatherings! It's also likely to be a short term measure and most people can survive having no gym for a month or two.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So all obese vaccinated people will never end up in hospital with Covid?

There's lunatics on either side of this debate, neither group are in touch with reality, your above comment is based on nothing but your own opinion but you post it here as if it's fact.

I mean, it's not as if scientists have proved that obese people are at higher risk from Covid, oh hang on they have... https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-attacks-fat-cells-leaving-obese-patients-more-vulnerable-study-finds-1.4751202.

People in glass houses and all that.

Glazers Out!

I think they’d be much less likely to be in ICU, sure… which Is what we were talking about, not hospital in general. The data is pretty clear on the value of being vaccinated in terms of likelihood of ending up there.

As far as “lunatics on either side”, no, not really true I think. I don’t think there’s an equivalency between the broad medical consensus opinion and the anti vax position.

°°°°°

That study states that the obese among us are more likely to have severe covid symptoms which would include being in ICU. Which has been discussed already.

You're just saying that in your opinion that isn't the case. Your opinion is wrong.

So the lunatics on either side idea is very much apparent, no offense.

Glazers Out!

I wouldn’t doubt being obese increases risk associated with covid across the board (nothing I’ve written is to the contrary actually). But for people in that category the value of being vaccinated is thus even greater, not lesser. Might be the difference between managing at home versus hospitalisation, or hospitalisation but not requiring ICU.

:)

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You asserted that they wouldn't end up in ICU at all of they were vaccinated. That's not true.

Vaccine effectiveness wanes over time, a lot of people who were fully vaccinated ended up in ICU because they weren't (and by extension everyone around them) aware that boosters were going to be required.

The booster campaign itself acknowledges that being vaccinated isn't a guarantee of not getting seriously sick with covid. What you said wasn't correct, being obese and vaccinated doesn't mean you can't possibly end up in ICU. The fact that you cited "lunatics" as the real issue when you are willfully ignorant of the facts yourself was what got my back up.

Glazers Out!

I went on to say they’d be much less likely to end up there. If you want to pedantic guess my first post was too absolute but fundamentally the point remains - being vaccinated would dramatically increase their chances, whatever other risk factors they have going on. We can dance around that but yeah that is a fact borne out by the past year.

If I got your back up by making such a pedestrian argument in favour of vaccination then I can only imagine how difficult things are for you right now in terms of where we are and what you’re likely reading and hearing all over the place: Best of luck with it.

°°°°°

Your assertion that "lunatics" are to blame for the current situation regarding covid is the issue I have.

Yesterday we had Fintan O'Toole writing in the Irish Times that the unvaccinated are a cohort of fascists and soon to be fascists. Complete and utter nonsense stirring up division and hatred amongst the people of this country in the what is notionally regarded as the paper of record.

This "other-ing" of the unvaccinated is a handy tool for politicians who have for generations failed to curate our health service correctly, something that has been an issue for decades, in fact every year in living memory pre covid we have had a winter "trolley crisis" in our hospitals, now the government can take to the airwaves and declare this to be the fault of the unvaccinated. That is a cop out, a get out of jail free card for our self serving political class and our media institutions are backing them up because the notion of unvaccinated = far right conspiracy theorist allows the like of Fintan O'Toole to write absolute garbage like what I referred to above and have people like you nod along in agreement.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Just on the point of this being a short term measure for a month or two.

Certs will likely be required for the next 18 months for any settings where they are currently required. Next year when case numbers drop (over the last two years covid has shown itself to be somewhat seasonal) the push to try to get to Zero Covid will keep certs in place through the summer months, the numbers will increase by the end of 2022 as they have this year. Boosters will be a requirement for keeping your cert valid in summer time so there's that to consider.

Essentially if you're not vaccinated and the boosted you won't be seeing the inside of a gym for the guts of two years, in my estimation of course and I'd happily be proven wrong, I'm just applying the logic of what's gone before.

Glazers Out!

Happy to accept I am critical of the hold-outs who are still not vaccinated but it’s over simplistic to say they are to blame for the current situation overall, which of course is why I have never said that on here. Can you show me where I did?

You should write in to the IT and give your critique of Fintan’s piece. :)

°°°°°

You're happy to characterize anyone who hasn't been vaccinated as "nutty". You're perpetuating the narrative that the government and the media wants you to. Blame the unvaccinated for the state of the current situation and base the willingness to apportion that blame on the basis that the unvaccinated are all "nutty" or fascists. You're part of the problem here, unless of course you have irrefutable evidence that every unvaccinated person in Ireland is indeed "nutty".

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

So you can’t show me where I said what you said I did?

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Still waiting for you to show me where I said the unvaccinated are to blame for our current situation. :)

I do think the anti vaxxer position is pretty nutty, I have no problem saying that. It’s so clearly at odds with the consensus expert opinion it’s hard to say otherwise. I appreciate that seems to cause you upset when you hear that, but sure that’s life, if someone is going to be an anti vaxxer these days they’d need to grow a pretty thick skin.

But no, I never said they were to blame for our current predicament. It’s too complex to be that simple.

°°°°°

I never said that you said the unvaccinated are to blame for the current situation. I said that the language you're using to describe the unvaccinated is the same that is used by those who do believe that.

You're demanding I show where you said something, but I never accused you of that, so I could start with the same nonsense you're going on with any say "show me where I said X".

I'm offended by the stupidity of people being whipped up into a frenzy against a small cohort of people as a means of deflecting responsibility from the government and past governments who have created a situation where out health system is continuously incapable of dealing with anything, be that this pandemic, or a standard winter flu season.

If you think all unvaccinated people are "nutty" that's fine by me, it isn't true but you're entitled to the right to have a daft opinion. You have after all gotten all bent out of shape about something to THINK I said but never did, so who's to say who and what is "nutty"?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

You wrote-

“Your assertion that "lunatics" are to blame for the current situation regarding covid is the issue I have”

Now thank you for agreeing I never asserted that :)

I appreciate you don’t like me describing anti vax ideas as nutty or from a lunatic fringe, but yes, not much I can say about that as I think that is the majority view and quite accurate, it is what it is.

I’m not put out btw. It’s only a discussion forum. If someone gets upset by what someone says on boards they should take a break from it (really!).

°°°°°

You got me there.

This isn't the only discussion I've been having about this, got my wires crossed somewhere along the way.

My point is that the ongoing labeling of people as "nutty" as you said, or fascists as Fintan O'Toole said in his piece yesterday isn't helping the situation.

When you chastise and marginalise people you are guaranteed to make their position more entrenched. Essentially, if the goal is to make unvaccinated people come around to your way of thinking and take a vaccine, calling them names and making assumptions about them is not the way to go about it.

Parallel to that, the blame game the government are engaged in with the unvaccinated is a classic case of never let a good crisis go to waste, they are using the unvaccinated as scapegoats for their own failings, in a way seeing everyone vaccinated would be a good thing from the position of giving our elected officials nowhere to hide on the issue of their mismanagement of the health system.

In the end its just disappointing to see how easily people can be turned against one another. It seems like we should be above this type of thing but humans are pretty stupid when you think about it.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

You said that the "hold outs" are a "nutty fringe". That suggests that anyone who hasn't been vaccinated is part of that "nutty fringe".

That's just lazy name calling. Do you really believe that all unvaccinated people should be described that way?

Are you suggesting that I should take a break from posting? Not your call to make I'm afraid. I got my wires crossed on one sentence earlier (I didn't have to acknowledge my mistake but I did) but I still believe what your saying is not constructive and is part of a wider consensus that any rational person shouldn't tolerate.

Glazers Out!

Appreciate you saying you got your wires crossed.

What I would say is I actually don’t hate anyone for being unvaccinated, if anything I tend to think of them as misguided. I think there are various reasons people adopt anti vax positions and not all are bad faith. If I think of the small number of anti vaxxers I know personally, I would describe some of them as quite vulnerable people.

Some are nutty though, yes, and some propagate nutty ideas, it is what it is. I get you don’t like that but that is undoubtedly what people are thinking if you air anti vax ideas in public, whether people say it to you or not.

I have some sympathy with the reluctance of communities from former soviet states, actually, I can understand how there might be a really tangible distrust of state advice, passed down from parents and grandparents.

In terms of convincing people in general, I wouldn’t see it as my business. I do think government should be trying I guess. Not sure there is much more we can do at this stage, I think we have nearly the highest vax rate in the world so we aren’t doing too bad anyway.

Not sure there’s more I can say! We are so far off topic.

°°°°°

The only thing I'd add is that anti Vax and unvaccinated are not the same thing. That's the nub of the issue really.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is really not a sustainable model at all for leisure activities, nor for an economy. Remember this measure also includes outdoor outdoor events and entertainment as well. Booster rates will be lower so that means even more of a falloff in business if that's how they are pursued. Imagine businesses being faced with 4-5 times as any people who are not vaccinated according to the cert.

For gyms and other places they will be over soon enough and you can expect the government to drop them for all other domestic use as soon as they can, i.e. the all powerful case numbers fall away enough. The travel use is probably the one place where they will probably remain for a long while.

°°°°°

Like I said, I'll gladly be proven wrong. I do feel however with NPHET being the puppet masters of this government, certs are here to stay for the foreseeable future with the reasoning being that a repeat of the stop start reopening not being wanted this year.

The numbers that are still unvaccinated shouldn't be causing the problems they are purported to be causing, at least in a properly functioning health system they wouldn't. Unless there are plans to expand the number of ICU beds in the next six months I think the current restrictions will remain with the continued use of the unclean, sorry unvaccinated as a buffer by the government.

Ultimately time will tell, I'd gladly be proven wrong on this but looking at what's gone before in this crisis I think we'll be getting booster after booster in order to be able to use the gym for the foreseeable future.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So are gyms still allowed open past 8 or are they counted as "cultural?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Of course there allowed to open past 8 for members with a vaccine cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

All hospitality and cultural, cinemas, etc, have to shut at 8 from Monday. I'm assuming gyms aren't affected but not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same as ours, problem is about 40% of people are no longer sanitising or mask wearing moving between equipment/rooms and stations…there is a gang of younger lads who spend about half their time there, leaning on equipment, which they don’t sanitize, maskless and yapping non stop to each other, staff are very good but there are a whole lot less of them in fact it’s a skeleton crew and the senior manager she is about as useful as a condom with air vents…. Next time I see her is hopefully in the obituary column, anyway…

i am just doing my bit as I expect of others…sanitiser and mask when required

I don't feel like we are going to go down this route in Ireland, but worth noting that gyms are in the crosshairs again elsewhere in Europe.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/netherlands-to-go-into-lockdown-from-midnight-sunday-1.4759144

Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

UGH.... not again,

if the gyms close again, I will join a protest march for the first time in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

With restrictions lifted, does this mean that certs and masks won't be required for gym?

certs will be gone but they might keep the masks in common areas if thats how it was before

°°°°°

They need to ban young lads looking at their phones instead of lifting in my gym.

Glazers Out!

Hate that. They don't care about other people waiting on weights, machines.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

There seems to be so many of them as well since the reopening last year. Saw one dope injure himself last week not lifting properly.

They seem to be obsessed with working their triceps in isolation for some reason. Phones constantly in their hands. I feel like getting a hammer and smashing every phone I see in their hands for more than a few seconds.

Glazers Out!

Its selfish. Sitting on a machine or at a bench or squat rack fluttering around on the phone. I don't understand how people can't go to the gym train hard and get out. I'm no more then an hour in the gym. I don't bother with any distractions. The phone stays in the locker room and I've no time for chit chat with anyone else during the session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭TheRona

That's true, but all you have to do is ask them if you can jump in between sets. They'll soon get the hint. At the end of the day, almost every workout involves rest between sets, so it's inevitable people are going to use their phone as opposed to staring into space for 1-2 mins. The reality is that people would use their phones for music during their workout, or to track their sets, or to time rest periods. It's not practical for everyone to leave their phone in the locker.

I use my phone all the time in the gym. I use spotify all the time for tunes and and I use an app to track my progress. I do all this in between sets. Sorry if it offends you, actually no I'm not. I don't care and I'm getting on with my workout.

Cringe

I also use my phone quite a bit when I'm training. Streaming music off it mainly, but yeah sometimes quickly answering a work message, or just dicking around on it if it's a long rest period.

If I didn't take my phone out then my workout won't be any quicker. I'm still resting 2-3 minutes between sets, depending on the exercise, whether I'm on my phone or standing up doing nothing at all the time remains the same.

As the lads say, if someone is using something you need to use, and is resting between sets, the standard etiquette is to simply ask them if you can work in. Whether they have their phone in their hand or not makes no difference at all.

The only real argument against phones in the gym that holds water is Dorian Yates' (and others)' view that they mean the trainee isn't staying mentally focused on doing the absolute best set they can at the end of the rest period. Yeah, that's legitimate, but 80%+ of people in the gym are there for general health and recreation reasons, so to be honest it just doesn't really matter that much, and it would only be an issue for the person themselves anyway, no one else.

• Advertisement

I love how one person saying they would slap someone's phone extends to multiple people saying it. Boards logic.

I was still editing my post but I think you were responding to my original draft. Yes, only one person mentioned a hammer and whatnot and I put that simply down to usual boards hyperbole but in fairness, ye were having a bit of a rant and I think the central point stands that there's an irrational element to it that has more to do with you than the lads on their phones.

You haven't changed your position despite me pointing out how you were demonstrably wrong. But I'm the irrational one. Ok.

Are you angry? I can't really tell over the internet.

No, I'm just saying I wish people were more considerate in the gym. You are saying something else. I'm merely pointing it out for the purpose of discussion.

Pretty simple stuff, it's all written above in chronological order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement