Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Conspiracy theories, now that's a new jibe, point out one post from me on this thread that is even in the ball park of conspiracy....

So another day has dawned and still no sign of this 'imminent' invasion.

Tune in tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-channel....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@MeMen2_MoRi_ There was agreements made when east and west Germany were being United that NATO wouldn't close in on Russia,

No there was no agreements , mentioned one in a discussion that's as far as that went , there was /is no agreement written or signed to suggest it .

Lucinda Creighton for the second week running in the Business Post displaying all the hypocrisy that was evident when she was a TD. 'It is unconscionable to think that Europe continues to appease and facilitate Russian aggression'....citing the reliance on gas for some states. Of course she never opened her gob while Ireland appeased the dominant imperial nation on the planet to ensure FDI continued to flow this country's way.

Oh and apparently it's allegedly 'difficult' to see how an invasion can be avoided...it's not difficult at all, there will be no invasion as anyone paying a modicum of attention to this whole charade would realise...

Tiresome propaganda really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Trying to relevant after the Renua fiasco.

edit: I just checked and Renua still exist, 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

There will be 'no invasion' in the same way that there weren't Russian troops taking over Crimea? Or in the sense that what Russia has left of Ukraine will remain under Ukrainian control?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

there was next to no questioning the claims of WMDs in British and American media and Irish media largely went along with the narrative and information they got from the major media outlets.

The only part of that statement that is probably true is that there was practically no opposition in the American media. There absolutely was in the British and Irish media though. I remember because that's where I was getting my information from. 2003 was pre-social media. Getting on the internet wasn't easy. The majority of people who even had internet access were doing it through their PCs and dial-up internet connections. Most of us therefore were still getting our news from the papers and TV at that time. All of those millions of people who were protesting were getting their news from the "mainstream media" and there were plenty of questioning voices amongst those ranks.

Yes, it is true that the majority of the British papers were behind the invasion but not all of them were. I distinctly remember that the Daily Mirror was not behind it and campaigned vigorously against any war. In Ireland we had an even more even handed view of events. Most people were able to appraise the facts of the matter and deduce that the whole thing was a sham. Without a nakedly partisan media (certain columnists excepted) whipping things up most people here came down against the war. I remember the likes of Joe Duffy doing phone-ins and angry, older and middle aged men shouting their unwavering support for the invasion but they were in the minority and the youth of the country was especially disgusted by it.

The one thing that does link that war with what is going on now is that one country is shaping up for an illegal invasion of another. That time it was USA. This time it's Russian. The unwitting victim that time was Iraq, this time it is Ukraine. I hope that the outcome is not similar but if it is then Russia is likely to have as much trouble holding territory in some parts of Ukraine as the USA did in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

@Brussels Sprout

I think just polluting the environment by saying everything is "propaganda" and they [media organs in democratic states such as Ireland, likes of Russia Today] just lie/distort to suit an agenda and are really "all as bad as each other" is a tactic isn't it?

A last resort one perhaps. If you can't convince anyone, demoralise. Generate fear, uncertainty and doubt and undermine trust. That is useful too.

If it's all lies (and no ordinary joe can "appraise the facts of the matter" as you put it), what is the point? Sit back, just accept it and don't try and think about things at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

So are you denying the Soviets largely won the war by themselves? Or what are you trying to deny here?

The Soviets lost 10 million soldiers and 15 million civilians during WW2, while the USA lost 400,000 soldiers and a few thousand civilians.

Not only that but the Nazis took more than three quarters of their casualties to the Red army.

Can you please explain what you are trying to deny here? Are you denying the Soviets played the largest by FAR in defeating Hitler.

There will be no invasion as in the invasion Joe Biden, Boris Johnson etc are telling us is imminent...

• Advertisement

First off that wasn't your claim. Your claim was that the Nazis would have occupied the USA during WW2. That's a ludicrous leap by any stretch of the imagination, for no other reason than the geographical positioning of the USA. If you think it's not then I'd like to hear how you think they would have managed it.

Secondly, yes I am denying that the Soviets won the war by themselves. Did they make the largest contribution and human sacrifice to defeating the Axis Powers - Absolutely, yes they did. Did they beat them single-handedly? Of course not.

I have noticed that Nationalists in the UK, USA and Russian all seem to pretend that that their country won the war on their own when the reality is that they all made their own contributions. They weren't the only ones either. Plenty of other smaller nations (such as Australia and New Zealand) also contributed. If the Nazis didn't have to fight in places like North Africa and commit resources to try and prevent the British gaining a beachhead in France then they would have had more resources to pour into their Eastern front battle against the Soviets. Similarly the Soviets were not distracted by having to fight the Japanese on their Eastern frontier as the Japanese were preoccupied with fighting the Americans in the Pacific and the British in south-east Asia.

Fighting a war on multiple fronts against multiple nations is infinitely more difficult and complex then fighting one concentrated enemy on a single front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I never claimed they won the war completely by themselves, I claimed they won it largely by themselves, yes they had some minor help relativel from the US and UK relatively speaking but the Soviets by FAR made the largest contribution to the war.

Yes all countries portray the belief that they won the war themselves but the Soviets are the only ones who have substance to their claims, they killed most of the Nazis themselves, fought them the most by far, the Nazis also spent most of their time and resources trying to defeat the soviets and the Soviets also launched the invasion that ended the war.

As I said the Soviets lost ten million soldiers during WW2, while the USA lost 400,000 and the UK lost 300,000, the US and UK were little more than a support network for the Soviets despite what Hollywood films would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You claimed that the soviets saved the Americans from occupation by the Nazis in WW2. Please explain how that was going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

The Soviet casualties in WW2 were undoubtedly enormous. However a few things should be borne in mind:

Prior to the German Operation Barbarossa in Summer 1841, the USSR and Nazis were allies (the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which people often overlook), and some Russian casualties were surely due to the extra supplies and geographical advantages sent to Germany in 1939-41. Also, in 1945, it seems that in order to get to Berlin ahead of the Americans, the final Russian offensives of 1945 involved huge and arguably un-necessary casualties.

The sacrifices and suffering of the Russian people were truly enormous, but the Russian regime was not blameless, and did not come into WW2 with clean hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic everyone. Anymore trolling or dragging in irrelevant off topic nonsense will mean threadbans

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That analyst two weeks ago said that one of the warning signals of pending action would be the arrival of medical units. Their materials are a little more sensitive to storage requirements than tanks.

The last piece of the puzzle will be the mobilization of the Russian reserve Forces , everything else is in place, armour , artillery, infantry , amphibious forces,and Anti Aircraft brigade's

So if we have a new wave of 'little green men' taking over parts of Ukraine who pretend they aren't Russian soldiers, does that count? Because that's what happened last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

So you are deflecting then? You cannot give me clear objectified points that you are going to stand behind 100%.

Im afraid if you dont even know what points you are trying to make yourself you are losing credibility.

• Advertisement

Looks like Belarus is getting ready to fight the all the Former Soviet states .

Jesus this not going to end well

I note you said 'if'....you're not convinced either I see! 😄

Post edited by MFPM on

No deflection here my good man, I've made my position quite clear, why the hell do you think I've prompted so much abuse and false narratives? Now if you're interested in my position you can scroll back through the thread, I'm certainly not going to do your research for you.

No he's not FFS...if Putin is not going to invade then why the hell would this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

Huge amounts of Russian military moving into Belarus and on Ukraine's borders now. No chance this is a hoax given the type of kit that is being sent.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Good old RT getting the we were attacked narrative ready , we are only invading to prevent Genocide .

Genocide of who???

Nobody in Russia seems to know who

• Advertisement

No, not convinced either way. I won't be telling anyone definitively that future events will or will not happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement