Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I'm not saying it is the case, but even if all the reporters missed it, I would have assumed we would have heard about it before now.

On a separate note, were the two teams listed for McKenna cup the first time Mickey has teams start as named in the programme? Is it a New Year's resolution from Cavan? No more dummy teams? Would make the first 5 minutes a lot handier as a supporter 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I was told a few weeks ago by a panel member that Gearoid was suspended for the Leitrim game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Listened to the Jac Mac podcast earlier and whilst I wouldn't always agree with Martin Tynan, I would agree with him that, well, it's Leitrim! We're a team backboned by a core of players who played Division 1 football in 2017 and 2019 and were competitive at that level.

Forget about talk of tight pitches, suspensions etc. We need to be winning this game. Maybe not by the 7 to 10 points Martin suggests but we should be winning it with a minimum of fuss or we may start concentrating on the hurlers!

Post edited by Lemlin on

Gearoid is a massive loss, and if we were playing one of the top teams I would be wondering where the scores would come from but as you said the core of this team won Ulster less than 2 years ago so they have to go and win this and ideally win well. Based on their application and fitness in McKenna cup, they are going to.

Anyone want to have a crack at the team based on McKenna cup, injuries and so on?

1. Ray
    2. Clarke
    3. Faulkner
    4. Gunner
    5. Kiernan
    6. Conroy
    7. Fortune
    8. Thomas Galligan
    9. James Smith
    10. Gerry Smith
    11. Madden
    12. Jason
    13. Oisin Brady
    14. Lynch
    15. Cormac O Reilly

Lynch will have to take free duties with Conroy. No idea on fitness but would like Conor Smith to get some game time from the bench as well. Defensively we should be able to go man for man with Leitrim and put a press on them, putting their backs on pressure. Kiernan, Conroy, Gerry Smith, Fortune and Kiernan all well capabable of a score or two each from play. Conor Madden needs to be putting his hand up for a decent return. All the talent is there but we've only seen it in fits and starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Anyone know the outcome of the Morris hearing? All gone very quiet. Rumour was that he had told Nobber if the move was rejected he’d just go to America for the Summer and then he’s free to transfer to whomever he wants when he gets back.

You could at least let us know what he is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Is that Tynan fella the lad that had the Facebook page "bring back pride to cavan" or something like that? If it is I'd say you could write on a matchbox what he knows about football

I think so, and I think he had at least one log-in on Hoganstand like Cavan Shambles or something like that. With similar high-level analysis on there.

• Advertisement

Thats him, he’s from Ramor. He had a page about Seanie Johnston at one point too. He played for Cavan minors around the early 90s.

What annoys me about his page is he constantly lifts posts from club pages or Cavan Old Irish Photos on Facebook and presents them as his own rather than sharing them from those pages and giving them the credit for the item.

In fairness, he had a decent football career with Ramor but I don’t think his personality suits running a page like that or being on a podcast.

The JMac podcast is amateurish compared to We Are Cavan but they have had some good interviews in the past with the likes of Ricey when he started with Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any know if juveniles need tickets for tomorrows game it doesn't give me the option to add their tickets on the gaa app

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I assumed kids u16 free at gate, I'm bringing my 2 without tickets anyway.

Team is up on county board Instagram.

Ray

Gunner Faulkner McLoughlin

Gerry Clarke Kiernan

Galligan Smith

Brady Conroy Moynagh

O’Reilly Lynch Madden

Bench of Brady, Kelly, Madden, C O’Reilly, Conor Smith, Finnegan, Fortune, Marty Reilly, Argue, Murray, Stephen Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Team named, you got it nearly right, Moynagh named instead of Fortune, Jason named at corner back, Conroy at 11. No Gearoid in the 26, Martin Reilly on the bench.

Ah now, if you’re looking to the Hogan Stand for reasoned debate, you’re in bother. I stopped even dipping into it because ya couldn’t listen to the old groundsman from Breffni talking crap about “Mr Hyland” because Terry didn’t say hello to him enough!

Tynan also had a rant about Dermot McCabe because McCabe allegedly confronted him over something at the county final I think.

There were actually two training nights on the 3G for coaches the last two Thursday nights run by McCabe and his coaches and they were very good and highly attended.

Post edited by Lemlin on

Will be interesting to see if that is the actual 15 that starts and if those positions are where they start.

Does Niall Murray’s bad injury in 2020 mean he is just curtailed to being an impact sub now? Would be great to see him nearing the levels of 2019, even just to be on the pitch for frees.

London firing a few warning shots tonight...

Here's hoping for a good strong start tomorrow

Watching the game on RTÉ tonight, it looks like the Dubs are coming back to the pack. We were very unlucky the two years we were in Division 1 to get Dublin at home in Breffni. It meant no trip to Croker which would have been novel for a League game and also that one of our home League games was taken by playing a rampant Dubs team.

Tough conditions today probably the less said the better

A win is a win

On to next week

• Advertisement

Home a half hour or so and the fire is on!

You hear PL supporters talk about a wintery night in Stoke being the test of a player and that was the GAA equivalent of it.

Its tough to know what to read into it as a win is a win. Disappointing performance but got the job done.

Paddy Lynch scored some sublime scores. I thought Conor Smith made a difference when he came on with his speed and trickery but I think he should have gone for a goal with that fisted point.

You’d wonder why Moynagh is parachuted in after, to my memory, no McKenna Cup game time. He had an error strewn performance.

I don’t expect Tipp to be as good as everyone expects. They have lost a lot of players like Quinlivan from two years ago.

We seemed to be 2nd to a lot of breaking ball and carried the ball into the tackle coming out of defence which on a day like today wasn't the smartest of ideas

But I think unless people were there they have no idea how bad the conditions were and just how deceptive that wind was onfield

Big game next week I'd expect wexford to be a much stiffer test, gearoid will be a huge boost to come back, he was a huge huge miss today in those conditions

Leitrim were better under the high ball today, particularly against James Smith which surprised me.

I’m not sure sticking Thomas Galligan in at full forward works. Leaves him out of the game when we could do with his drive further out the pitch.

Was it Moynagh badly caught out just after the start of the second half when he jumped and totally misjudged a high ball? It went over him and Leitrim nearly got in.

It was difficult to tell who was who at times with the rain beating down and strong gusts.

Going by the noise coming from the stand (I was too late down to get into it), there seemed to be a lot more Cavan people there than Leitrim. Apparently it was the biggest crowd Carrick has seen in a long time.

I’m not sure Wexford will be a stiffer test. There didn’t seem to be anything terrible about that Leitrim team today - I did think they had one terrible habit of running the ball into the corner too wide when attacking.

It certainly didn't work yesterday as he was too isolated. We don't tend to kick the ball in either. The referee missed a number of blatant frees around the forward line too. One of the Leitrim backs slid along the ground and clearly handled the ball on the ground twice and nothing given. At another stage one of our forwards, can't remember who, was running along the endline and went past the Leitrim back and was clearly having his arm held and again nothing given. That's what ya get in Division 4 though.

I think Moynagh would be better worked up to speed through coming on as a sub. Did Oisin Kiernan take a free at one stage yesterday too? I certainly hope we don't go back to the days of various different free takers.

Hasn't much option yesterday with free's from the right seen as we were missing our free taker from that side.

I was surprised conroy didn't take some off the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Is Jac Mac the full name of the podcast? I can’t seem to find it.

Advertisement