Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Thanks for that. Actually the salesman was quite clear, in writing, that all conditions would be the same as if I had taken delivery in July. That turns out not to be true: not only is it now 2 tyres, but I missed out on the Airtricity €675 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Went to my local VW dealer yesterday and had a look at the ID3, sat inside for the first time. Asked what was the delivery time for them now and he said week 10 2023, my jaw dropped. I'll be a while longer with my Polo in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Which one were you looking for? Was it the 78 or 58? I think they’re prioritising the highest spec. But that’s shocking they’re booked out to March 2023 already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Comer1

€300 for that service and an extra €204 for front brake pads seems absolutely outrageous to me for what the need to do. And why do they need to change the brake fluid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

At what point do they stop taking orders? That’s crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I took had a test drive in an ID3 today and I have to say I loved it. I was told that if I were to order today, it would probably be July '22 but possibly as far as September '22 before delivery.

I read somewhere that the entire 2022 production is already sold.

Guess it’s always good to have a list if any cancellations happen / additional stock comes available. But I’d say anything for 2023 won’t get actually ordered for a number of months.

i don’t with at a dealership, but seems most logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was just thinking that the dealer today never even mentioned a heat pump. What is the general consensus on heat pumps, yay or nay with the ID3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

dont know what the extra damage is but I would say yes if I had been ordering, I bought off the lot.

Have HP in the leaf, much more efficient than the ID3, in addition the draw on battery heating in the ID3 is a serious iff doing short journeys in the cold.

Did 3 last night, 40 kms each, with long stops between, temp was between 3.5 and 1.5, went through about 50% of battery

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Too pricey and early reports were that it didn't make the car more efficient (although that may have been fixed in subsequent software updates). If it were €400 cheaper or if I lived in a nordic country, I probably would've sprung for it. I suppose if you also do a lot of long journeys in winter, assuming the bugs are worked out and it actually saves energy, it might be worth it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not sure if the Heat Pump will make much difference on shorter trips, surely the car still has to use resistive heating to initially warm up the car?

The problem of initial poor efficiency appears to be from the battery heating, which VW are well aware of and have mentioned of a future improvement through updates.

The wifes' new Ioniq 5, which is a far bigger car, is more efficient on short runs than my ID.3. Yet overall my ID.3 appears to be about 15% more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

So at this point, I should get the 2 year service warning before most, as I got the first one delivered in Dublin.

I'm already wondering what I'm going to do at the end of the PCP plan.

I think that I'll probably need to call in to the dealer before September and get my name down for a 2023 model.

Also, the way 2nd hand prices are going, there's no way I'm letting them have it for the 20k final payment if the trade-in value is 25k+

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is the 20k the GMFV? If the car is worth more and they want your car they'll offer more.

They had me sign a specific document that ensured that you understood that you would have NO equity in the car.

I can always refinance the 20k and then look to trade-in afterwards.

That doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure what you signed doesn't state that you may have no equity at the end of the PCP term?

Yeah, no equity in the car at the end of the PCP plan. Looking at prices of used ones atm, I'll have lots of equity in it if I pay off, or refinance the balloon payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you pay the bullet then any equity is yours

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats not PCP if it said that. I think you missed a word or two in the T&C’s. You would have to sign to say you may have no equity at the end but that’s not actually determined until the time comes. It’s not an upfront statement of certainty.

pull out your T&C’s again. It won’t say what you think it says.

unless you are thinking of the “hand it back” scenario where you don’t pay the balloon payment and hand the keys back. In that case there would be no equity but that’s a choice you have, so again, not a certainty. You decide how it goes.

basically, if the car is worth €25k on the market then you have €5k equity.

Oh, I know how it works alright this is my 3rd pcp... but that's definitely what they had me sign. I take it that's the giving it back scenario.

I won't, for one minute though, be thinking of handing back the keys and walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Walking away is silly considering you can sell privately and walk away with the equity you would have had if you were trading in for another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's bizarre. I'm on PCP too and it was made very clear that the guaranteed final value was just a breakdown of the finance. The price of the car is split into deposit plus monthly plus final.

My final value is just under €18k and if the car it worth more (a certainty, the way things are going) then I'll have that equity going forward.

For the first edition VW offered a lease and pcp options. This sounds like the lease. They were giving it out with no deposit to fulfil their numbers.

if you got the first three months payments free then it’s a lease. I had to sign as well that there was no value at the end.

Although even with this the car is still worth more to dealers than its currently owed value. How long that lasts I do not know (probably until intel get their 2 chip factories built in the US and wherever they put their European one.)

I got three months payments back and I'm 100% positive I'm in a PCP contract.

The lease and pcp are structured exactly alike. Except the lease has no equity at the end. Although it still could. I think this was a one time thing to get people in cars. It doesn’t look like it’s being offered anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

"To get people into cars", it's mad how in a short year or two how things change.

Now people are looking to get into cars rather than them trying to get people into cars.

I’ve heard, so unless someone actually works for vw and can very take only as a reasonably sounding rumour, that as it was expected to be launched earlier in 2020, the sales targets and vw orders for cars were pre-set for the year. So instead of moving a 1000 cars over the year, they had 3 months to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think VW are actively discouraging sales of the more basic ID.3 models, which is a pity as these IMO are the best value. Because they are least profitable for VW, it is totally understandable from their point of view. They also have commitments to manufacture for their other brands which probably has to take some precedence atm. They just don't have the production capacity as yet and not helped by chip shortages etc.

Also the Koreans are pumping loads of cars into the country (They used to always drip feed) and looks like Tesla will become more available with China producing and soon Berlin. And their LFP battery chemistry will probably be hard to beat. VW are going to loose market share unless production can be increased fairly soon.

We who have our cars are the lucky ones, depreciation should be low.

Advertisement