Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foods dogs shouldn't eat

• 28-10-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is there a published comprehensive list of foods dogs shouldn't eat?

Something like,

1. Definitely no no, poisonous, e.g., chocolate, raisins

2. Not good for them, damaging over time

3. Unhealthy.

First few pages of Google shows nothing definitive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Raisins and Chocolate are the biggest red flags.

Saying that I believe in everything in moderation the same as my own diet. My last cocker spaniel loved to chase Maltesers then eat them, only 1 from a pack. He always got a little of whatever out dinner was too and he died a few days after his 15th Birthday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would think Battersea would be reputable

Toxic food for dogs | Battersea Dogs & Cats Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oops, I didn't know Onions and Garlic were toxic to dogs. No more left over bolognaise for them so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn’t worry too much - you’d need to have a LOT of garlic and onions for it to be dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

I suppose in general, don't use your dog as the dustbin - but let them have a tiny bit of whatever you had for dinner, that is appropriate. A bit of leftover meat, spud or carrots. Our fella would kill for gravy. I guess watch their fat and salt intake? A bit like ourselves really. 🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Xylitol is the other big one to be wary of, be carful of any low calorie sauces or that.

Tbh about the only thing ours get other than their food would be meat and maybe some veg, eggs, and peanut butter is really the only processed item they would get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Didn't know garlic was bad for dogs... D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cheese. Duno if its bad for them the smells after are disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

In moderation it’s ok but some dogs react to dairy I think- mine doesn’t but it’s only a tiny portion I’d give him.

He loves Bananas too which in moderation are fine but obviously fruits contain sugars so not too much - acidic type fruits such as oranges can upset a dogs stomach - fruit pips and seeds can be toxic to dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

I used to give mine a cooked chicken drumstick till a friend told me they are lethal as the chicken bones can shatter.

Yes- cooked chicken especially makes the bones very brittle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭zv2

Blueberries are also very bad but I doubt many feed them to dogs.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Blueberries are fine for dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tomredz

Where are you getting your info that Blueberries are very bad for dogs? My understanding is they are good for dogs as part of a balanced diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Perhaps you meant cherries, they've got cyanide in them.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

My terrier makes the most rotten farts after eating leftover chicken.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Blueberries are in tons of dog foods and treats - they’re fine to feed dogs. Mine get some every day as I have them with my breakfast

• Pedigree dog food!

😂

No, but honestly the best food is fresh unprocessed food if you wanna share with the pups.

Boiled chicken is a good one for safer bones I believe they’re far less likely to shatter when boiled rather than roasted (they don’t dry out the same way obviously).

Of course like everyone the occasional square of chocolate or some of the Sunday roast won’t do any harm - but in strict moderation. I’ve seen people scrape everyone’s plate out to the dog like their a dustbin, that’s not cool haha. Dogs aren’t bins, no harm to throw them a bit here n there but they really can’t eat sugar and salt etc in excess, what might not be much to us could be way too much for them.

Best advice really is if you’re not sure don’t give it. Check with the vets or whatever if unsure, always better safe than sorry. Even if it is hard to say no sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I feed blueberries a few times a week .. they are perfectly fine for dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Well that seems pretty conclusive, blueberries are good for dogs and humans alike.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Any cooked chicken bones should not be given to dogs.

Also no human chocolate, even a square can cause harm or even be fatal depending on the cocoa content and size of the dog.

• Oh god no not human chocolate not ever!! That I assume is literally common knowledge by now but I’m sure plenty are aware of the “dog” (carob) chocolate you can buy that’s totally safe as a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Strawberries are great for dogs. Mine get one between them every night. They love blueberries as well. And greens - broccoli and asparagus ends are their faves, along with carrots and peas.

• I love how dogs (more or less) will just eat anything but then there’s cats like mine.. who won’t eat anything but a specific brand of food..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Not so! My last Shih Tzu had a dodgy tum and was VERY fussy. All he would eat was Burns Pork and potato mixed with a little Lily's Kitchen - beef, chicken and lamb only. And you couldn't give him the same meal 2 days running. My two now are on Orijen mixed with leftover veg and fruit given as treats. They love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Pity my lad hates them. Will take it into his mouth, roll it around a little, and spit it out in disgust.🤣

• Advertisement

• I did say more or less cos there are the fussy ones like anything but it seems in my experience cats are just dicks unless it’s meat or fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is this idea of chocolate being poisonous slightly exaggerated? My little dog gets a square or two of chocolate every day. My last dog who lived until he was 15 and. regularly got chocolate. What we call chocolate is mainly sugar and fat. Not the healthiest I’ll admit but not poisonous either. The way some people go on about giving chocolate to dogs, you’d think it was cyanide.

Hell would freeze over before I’d give my dog “dog food” though. That is processed muck. She gets what I eat, fresh chicken, fish or meat plus veg every day. She is slim and healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Knowing that chocolate is harmful (even if you believe that the level of potential harm is exaggerated), why would you give your dog chocolate, daily?

I really, can't get my head around it.

I fully understand someone not knowing that chocolate is harmful, but you know, yet you still do it. You obviously, love your dog, though. I don't question this. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I saw a homeless person in town one day with two dogs. They opened two large bars of Cadburys and threw them on the ground, one for each dog. The dogs wolfed them down. It looked like a regular occurrence.

I told them how bad chocolate is for dogs. To put it mildly, they didn't want to know.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

You could probably say that chocolate is probably harmful for humans too but we eat it. So what does harmful actually mean?

My dog loves a couple of squares of chocolate and it does her no harm at all. What harm would you say I am doing to her? I firmly believe that the animal waste served up as ‘ dog food’ is far more harmful to a dog’s health than a bit of chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Called the vet after my Bichon Frize tucked into a box of Dairy Milk chocolates. He said not to worry as the coaco amount in milk chocolate wouldn't do much harm but had it been dark chocolate it could have been fatal.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s hilarious, he is like fussy child. Won’t eat the same meal two days running.

Advertisement