Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I see a lot of people online saying xbox game pass might come to ps5. But I don't see how.

It's an xbox service. Yes, it's also on Windows which Microsoft also owns however. The whole point of the near 70 billion activision deal is 'hey, you wanna still play cod on console in a few years? Well you got to buy an xbox buddy'

Why would MS put gamepass on ps5? Why would Sony want GamePass if they are trying to push their own revamped ps now going forward?

I don't think Microsoft give a flying **** about plastic boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For Microsoft, they're interested in selling Gamepass subscriptions more than selling the consoles. The consoles don't have a huge profit margin, are expensive to develop, and Gamepass would allow for cloud gaming which ties you into the Xbox/Microsoft ecosystem. Microsoft's aim is to move away from consoles and have it as a cloud gaming service accessible from TVs or a plug-in such as Stadia.

For Playstation, with Microsoft buying up some of the biggest franchises in gaming that could make people switch over to Xbox/Gamepass, especially considering the value of it and day one releases. So if they were to allow Gamepass on Playstation and take a cut of the subscription fee for those who use it on Playstation, they could make money and people would still stick with their PS5 so they could have the best of both worlds; Xbox's Gamepass and Playstation's exclusives.

However, allowing full Gamepass on PS5 would potentially take a big chunk out of sales of a lot of the third party games. Take for example last year when Hades was released on console, it was about €25 on PS5 and free on Gamepass, so if Gamepass was on PS5 why would anyone buy the game on PS5? People might also be inclined to wait to see if third party games come to Gamepass, and the huge library Gamepass has would provide enough content that people might not buy a lot of games on PS5 other than their first party exclusives.

I think if Gamepass were to ever come to PS5 it'd be a pared down version with Xbox-only games, so as to eliminate crossover and not cut into Sony's % from sales of other games. That to me seems the only way the two could co-exist.

If you compare to say Netflix and Disney+, there's very little crossover between the two. Films/shows are either on one or the other, rarely both (unless there's pre-existing deals in place). But subscription models for gaming is different, because while each has exclusives, the majority of games are third party multiplatforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A bit of info on those existing commitments here…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not surprising in terms of contracts being in place - and realistically I couldn't see 2023 releases being impacted if the deal is completed until mid 2023 anway.

Though I do always wonder about how contracts like that work - we have seen games go exclusive to a platform close enough to release so I wonder how a contract ties to release on a console non-exclusively. Would it actually be tied to the contract Sony have on CoD exclusives (maps etc iirc) rather than a commitment on just the actual game (ie. can't provide exlcusive map content without actually releasing on the console).

EDIT: Also, if the issue is actually tied to exclusive content then we will have a situation where not only is an Microsoft title on Playstation, but it has exlcusive content over the xbox version. Feels an even funnier situation than a Microsoft title being exclusive on Playstation.

The best version of the game will then be on PS5, not Xbox, while the mantra (on cross-platform games) from MS is that the best experience will be on Xbox. Unless they only do high frame rate and 4k or things like that on Xbox, to give themselves the argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

COD 2023 is probably already deep in development so that would have been lined up for playstation already while 2024 I'd say is in early production or post production.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Am I right in saying there are four main COD studios? Infinity Ward / Treyarch / Sledgehammer / Raven (plus seemingly every bloody developer Activision owns chipping in to help tame the behemoth at this stage). If that's the case, then yeah basically you'd have Sledgehammer starting on their new game after releasing Vanguard. Raven's obviously on Warzone / undermining unionisation duty, and then you have the other two releasing games in 2022/23.

You'd hope at least Microsoft would step back from the ridiculous annual release strategy in the future. Even Ubisoft learned that lesson a while back.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A biennial release schedule for COD is the way forward, with a renewed focus on producing a good single player campaign, and then providing a couple of substantial multiplayer updates / DLCs in the second year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It makes even more sense when you have Warzone to fill the void.

Maybe we might get an actual good CoD campaign again. We've not had one since the original Modern Warfare.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The reboot of Modern Warfare campaign was decent, but that's the only one I've played in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

At first glance I was thinking ah sure in 3 years nobody will be playing COD, then I remembered its nearly on its 20 year anniversary and shows no sign of stopping. Crazy to consider how much of a mainstay it really is and that its grown insanely in the last two years

Sales are way down on previous entries but they are still the best selling games of the last two years in the US.

And Warzone is probably the second biggest game in the world outside of Roblox, pretty sure it's eclipsed Fortnite at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cold Wars campaign was actually very enjoyable, but the treyarch games tend to be like M.Knight Shyamalan films, in that there's always some twist towards the end that you can usually see a mile away.

I remember when Treyarch were the awful CoD developer. And now they are considered the best despite myself feeling that their campaigns are still the same shite they've been peddling since World at War.

I did get some enjoyment out of Advanced Warfare and hear Infinite's campaign is actually fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus, we agree on something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To be fair, the infinite warfare campaign is great, other than the crap villain. The worst thing about that game is the title. If it wasn't called COD, it would have had a much better reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Apologies if mentioned already in thread - I did not checked this.

BLizzard in Ireland (Avtivision) is looking for developers:

https://careers.activision.com/

The question is will Sony need their games. If they do their options will be a) bring game pass to playstation or b) get fooked.

Anyone who thinks MS are going to allow their studios to spend time (and we're talking significant time) developing games for their biggest rivals platform does not understand competition.

On the plus side, Sony could probably get something out of it. Bring their games to game pass or something like that. But I think they'd rather do hara-kiri than do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Or C) cut a deal to have it on their platform.

It's not necessarily GamePass on PlayStation or bust.

Nobody knows what Microsofts strategy is with games that are wanted on or previously on PlayStation so it's impossible to rule anything out.

• Advertisement

Yeah whatever happens these companies will do whatever brings growth and profit to their own companies. If there's some sort of mutual deal that makes money for both and keeps the shareholders happy and the stock price growing then it'll be done.

Sony are using Azure. That was mutually beneficial to both. I'm sure there's some way for this to work out nicely for both but I just can't see that being anything other than game pass from the Microsoft side. Game pass on PS or PS games on game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The U.S. antitrust review of Microsoft Corp.'s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc. will be handled by the Federal Trade Commission, according to a person familiar with the matter, putting the deal in the hands of an agency that has vowed more aggressive policing of deals.

The FTC will oversee the investigation into whether the takeover will harm competition, instead of the Justice Department, said the person, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the review. The two agencies share responsibility for antitrust reviews of mergers and often reach agreements about which one will investigate a deal.

FTC Chair Lina Khan has long advocated for a more forceful approach to reviewing deals, particularly by the biggest technology companies, which she says are able to leverage their dominance in one line of business to gain power in other markets. Under her leadership, the agency has sued to block two major takeovers -- Nvidia Corp.'s proposed purchase of Arm Ltd. and Lockheed Martin Corp.'s deal to buy of Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc.

Microsoft declined to comment about the review. The FTC didn't respond to a message seeking comment.

Interesting to see how that goes. Lina Khan has it out for big tech companies when it comes to acquisitions.

The FTC seems to be one of the few agencies moving in an actually positive and progressive direction under the Biden administration. Hopefully they follow through on their promises to more aggressively examine these sort of deals.

And now Sony buy Bungee and all the Halo which goes with it

"and all the Halo that goes with it"

What?

You're correct to say WTF.

I forgot about MS keeping Halo after their own split

I very much doubt there is anything illegal or even slightly dodgy about the deal. A US government agency is never going to step in and block an acquisition just because some PS players will have to buy an Xbox or GP sub to play COD.

It's right that they examine the deal, but the fact they are examining it is in no way an indication that its at risk.

From the same article, if you read more than the first couple of paragraphs that make it sound like Sony just bought Halo:

In 2007, Bungie split from Microsoft to become an independent business.

Under the terms of the separation Microsoft kept the intellectual property of the Halo franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think you understand what's happening at all. Its not being investigated because there's something dodgy or illegal. It's an antitrust review to ensure its not anticompetitive. And yes there is a risk.

Advertisement