Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What kind of reaction were you expecting in a forum dedicated to those who love cars?

I understand where you're coming from, we all have grievances with society and others actions but you could pick your audience a little more wisely.

If I were to campaign for a more enjoyable neighborhood I'd probably start by ousting those who wish to control the lives of others. Personally I don't want any NIMBY warriors in my back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Loud exhausts are perfectly fine. It's people driving everywhere as hard as they can that are the problem.

Most people with a loud exhaust and a bit of cop on will take it easy through built up areas. Unfortunately not everyone that has a loud exhaust has said cop on.

Saying that, you do seem a bit miffed by any noise after a certain hour, and seem to live in a built up area. Generally those things don't go together.

Living in the country isn't silence either. You still have dogs barking away, as well as cows which are equally as noisy. You'll also have farmers out at sunrise to sunset and beyond with machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The noise limit for exhausts is 99db, should the Gardai be doing more about it, probably but there's worse crimes going on that need the Gardai resources

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If I were to campaign for a more enjoyable neighborhood I'd probably start by ousting those who wish to control the lives of others. Personally I don't want any NIMBY warriors in my back yard.

that, by definition, makes you a NIMBY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

must try harder.

I don't know, I think playing into exactly the stereotype I was denouncing was pretty spot on.

I'd give it a solid 3.6/5 on the sarcasm scale. Not great, not terrible.

anyway, as mentioned, where i live it's motorbikes which seem by far to be the vehicles most likely to be excessively noisy (not that it's that common tbf). i've seen reference to motorcyclists claiming this is a safety issue; an excuse which really doesn't wash with me.

i've seen bikes go past where you expect them to be doing 120 and they're probably barely breaking 60.

The point is you've seen them.

Bikes are much more difficult to visually notice while driving but if you hear it first, your attention is brought to it and the biker is now in a much safer position.

To say that is a problem is to say you value 5 seconds of relative quietness while driving, more than that person's life and safety.

i don't accept that argument for a second. if it had merit, all cyclists should be carrying air horns that sound constantly. and most (99%+) motorbikes don't make close to that much noise.

for the bikes i'm talking about, the noise is performative and nothing to do with safety.

• Advertisement

You may not accept it but thats fine because you're acceptance is not criteria for reality.

For a bicycle to make as much noise as a 600cc sports bike with a short, open exhaust, you'd need to carry an air compressor, powered by an electrical generator with a diesel engine which would render the air compressor and air horn unnecessary.

But consider this, bicycles often have bells yo alert others of their presence. More noise would definitely create awareness to drivers and a claxon in a bottle cage may be a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree with you Cian. As if motorbikes were silent there would be a lot more accidents involving vehicles hitting them on the likes of motorways as they are hard to see and could be in a blind spot on your mirrors and you cross to another lane and hit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Where would you have suggested I brought the grievance? The equestrian forum? That makes zero sense. Its one aspect of motoring I am critical of and I think its a reasonable criticism.

Is this forum only for people who blindly support the behaviour of all motorists. I am a motorist myself. And obviously you are being a nimby yourself with that contribution.

You are basically advocating for more noise in your and your neighbours backyard at night time.

Of course I understand there will be some occasional noise at night in residential areas. Its unavoidable. Someone revving their engines to actively make noise is avoidable. Cop on and consideration for others should resolve the issue.

Again I agree. This shouldnt even be an issue, if Gardai were seen to make even a small bit of effort to deal with it that could be a disincentive to people modifying their vehicles to be as loud as possible. Not worth the grief etc

With the increase in electric vehicles on the road and the change from ICE to battery power the issue may resolve itself to some degree.

Some motorbikes can be very loud but as with cars it seems to be more the person than the vehicle. Its a consideration and cop on in residential areas more than a vehicle issue as far as I can see.

Same as speeding in residential areas really. Its not appropriate to rip through an estate etc Same goes for this issue in my view.

I accept others have differing views and that nothing will change unfortunately

Probably on a legal forum, a local forum or in an email to your local councilor. You'll get a much better response in these I imagine.

Didn't think I'd have to post this twice,.maybe it's a a "no fun" thing.

Its not a local issue. Ita a national one. Its not a legal issue. The law is already in place.

You accused me of being a nimby, this issue affects people all over the country. Its a minor inconvenience to me but is a living nightmare for some people. And no thats not hyperbole.

again, i'm not talking about the vast majority of motorbikes. i'm talking about the very small minority which are *brutally* loud. i don't accept for a second that these need to be that loud for safety sake. the noise is performative, not cautionary.

I didn't accuse you of anything, I just aired a discussion on what I'd like to see changed, seeing as that the conversation we were having.

• Advertisement

Your suggestion was anyone who objects to anything to move out and live in the countryside.

As if people should just shut up and not make any effort to make the place where the live in anyway better.

I wont give my opinion on that attitude as it will just push the discussion further off topic.

Performative is a great word for it. It would be great if the drivers had an option of a way to switch on and off the noise levels from the exhausts. I am not a mechanic so that might not be possible.

If its something car enthusiasts enjoy and like to display at a rally etc then fair enough but when driving through a residential area the excessive noise could be switched off just out of respect and consideration for their community.

No, I made the point that regardless of where you live, you will have noise pollution. It's a fact of life.

This is a chat thread, there is no topic to come off.

That system does exist, it works quite well too but is expensive.

I agree though, if it became the standard then it could help quell the issue but as said, driving slowly at 1/4 throttle does the same thing.

I'm happy you've moved on from the idea of seizing property though.

I havent. If a vehicle is not deemed road worthy by AGS it should be seized and not released until the owner has arranged for it to be repaired in the interest of the safety of the community and other road users.

Noise pollution should be taken as seriously as defective lights or bald tyres or not having tax or insurance etc.

There should be no need to seize anyones property at all. But as has been identified there will always be assholes where that option will have to be considered for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭passatman86

What about a k&n induction kit. Am i allowed to have one of them. Some bang off the vtec with an induction kit even with an oem exhaust

I like broom broom broom

Braaaaaahhh

Pssssssst

Bang bang pop pop pop

Pidgeon sounds - coooooooo

All these sounds will be more or less gone when my grandkids are buying houses and starting to drive if the government get their way with the production of electric cars and banning petrol/diesel cars from cities.

Cant wait to see what the new noise complaints will be in 25 years

You seem to be glossing over the matter that these vehicle are passing inspection on are road legal. You say you're a motorist but clearly not mechanically inclined. It is no small job to replace an exhaust system and it's not something you'd do for the sake of a test and then change it back later that day as you've suggested.

Just because you don't like the noise, does not mean it is illegal.

Again, if you want that limit lowered, get on to your local counselor.

I'd love to see the statistics on how mean people are happy to take the lower spec car just for the sake of the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah it's mad that a lot of dealers aren't budging on the price of what essentially has become a lower spec model.

• Advertisement

Why is it always such a defensive attitude? Surely we would all agree that a peaceful and quiter night time environment is preferable to a noisy one?

You are presumably an adult so it is not mine or anyone else place to say you are and are not allowed to do. Outside of the law of the land.

Personal responsibility, consideration and respect for your neighbours and their consideration and respect for you would hopefully help make that decision for you.

I am the opposite to you, I am hopeful that with the increase in EV vehichles and reduction in ICE vehicles the level of noise from vehicles on the road will be reduced to a more reasonable level.

Advertisement