Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

And it's not even personal taste, just an awareness that the Fontaines can easily draw a headliner's crowd.

Picture This are an awful crew but they also are potential headliners. But please no, please no......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

Ah Jeez, did it really? That's one out the window, maybe she'll put on extra shows.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I don't think Fontaines are ready to headline just yet, even though I'm not their biggest fan they will definitely be headliners very soon.

I know they headlined ATN but that was a smaller capacity (about 20-30k??) festival with more specific line up while EP is nearly 70/75k with more of a commercial line up. I doubt they'll play this year since they are doing the iveagh Gardens twice so chances are they will do the 3Arena by the end of the year.

If they do play EP I'd agree with a few posters saying they I'd either headline EA or sub on the main stage. Sadly picture this are a lot bigger than Fontaines atm so it's not a shock to see them as headliners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

she played at 2019 so id say its unlikely, though id love her to be added. Got tickets to the olympia this morning cant wait

With a rescheduled/new UK tour announced starting around June this year and a couple of festival dates (with a Glastonbury-shaped hole) already set, is it possible we'll have The Orb in Stradbally this year? Closing the Body & Soul Stage of a Saturday evening of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The new Rock Werchter lineup is out.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ooh. You'd put together a nice little à la carte from that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,723 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Think its really poor compared to their usual lineups. A lot of garden variety acts in there. But most festivals will be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

There are quite a few on that I would gladly stand in a field with a pint in hand to watch. Lack of gigs has probably lowered my standards but some decent stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would pick a nice scoop out of that, Pearl Jam, Pixies (Although they still have to fulfil the Galway Arts Festival gigs), Fontaines DC, Beck (Would love to see him again), First Aid Kit, Cigs After Sex, Idles, Moderat, Jamie XX, Bicep (Live), Royal Blood, Michael Kinanuka, Modest Mouse and Dry Cleaning.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

"We're a selection of people with mixed tastes" Yarp, normally cannot fcuking stand the half talking type groups (see Dry Cleaning), those lads are pure savage though

Get up the yard, Scruff. Was it not you that dropped Wet Leg into the thread? You're too far in to start distancing yourself from the Post Punk for the elderly movement.

Snarky Snark Snark

I did say "normally", them lasses are class .. and more than a little durty

ahem.... I will also admit to being very partial to Sleaford Mods but that's it. the rest can **** off.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

Way beyond that I believe, they'd draw 30k/40k for their EP set and no way would Festival Republic risk that happening in an 8k capacity tent.

Picture This bigger nationally, but probably not for the EP demographic which is across the board in terms of taste. PT can sell far more tickets for big gigs in Dublin but the Picnic tickets have already been sold and for me it's very doubtful that PT would have more appeal amongst the 70k headed to Stradbally. Many youngsters into Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish may turn their noses up at PT.

Snarky Snark Snark

There are 217 sleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

That first night would be a killer for me, like every single one of each of the stages headliners.

Would have to go to PJ though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sorry - thought this was funny

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Was hoping bookings would carry over, as other have said booking will be a new process.

The location of eco is perfect, it's like its own isolated world that you can escape to and although there are plenty of young ppl, I'd say the average age of campers jumps a decade or two.

Spaces are limited so If you can get there on Thursday. There are sapling trees in the ground as well as fire path, larger tents are difficult to fit in as it fills up.

I vaugely remember, possibly a post from EP saying they'd like to extend the ECO area so that more campers can avail. This area can't easily be extended as its within a hedge row, I think this would be a complete move of ECO, not something I'd like to see, selfishly happy with current. But the 2021 planning permission detailed map showed it hadn't moved, so hopefully this same for 2022.

• Advertisement

All things being equal, 3000 whatdyoumacallits etc., pop up tents, yea or nay?

Snarky Snark Snark

don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with them but most of them do look a bit like kiddie disposable tents.

On the tent front, I'm strongly considering paying the extra 60 quid or what ever it is to upgrade to a pink moon tipi when their bookings re-open, I've moved on from self inflating sleeping mats to the full inflatable air mattress and I don't think I can go back. I want the room to have that in the tent and it's frankly mad money for the weekend but given the original booking was made in September 2019, it feels like there's no actual cost in paying the extra for an upgrade.

Yes indeed, Scruff, but I'm not out to impress anyone. Will it serve it's purpose, will I be dry, are there any genuine drawbacks. The idea of being in a chair with a can in my hand in 60 seconds is undeniably attractive. I'm aware it's January. I may be getting ahead of myself.

Snarky Snark Snark

Wouldn't give a toss about the impressions of it, it's the disposability and reusability I'd worry about. If you're gonna buy a tent, get one that's gonna last a couple of seasons.

I've seen human adults reduced to tears trying to pack up one of those pop-up yokes of a Monday morning. I've never used one but they do not look warm. Also trying wriggle into a change of clothes in those looks like a Krypton Factor challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Have to disagree with a lot of this. I've been going to PS since 2008, maybe my tenth year this year. Yes a lot of concrete and increasing numbers of (young and annoying) brits but always meet a load of sound people to hang with, as I usually go with my brother in law. Flight booked last week was a bit more expensive that previously (300 v 200) but the hotel I booked (well in advance, after last years cancellation) is fifteen mins walk from the site and not costing more than 500 for 4 nights.

It mightn't have the arty side that EP does but it's a great experience and plenty of places to sit down and chill out. Drink is pish at most festivals, easy to bring in a naggin or too and food court right opposite the site plus food onsite has improved a lot in recent years. Also the €2 hotdogs have been a staple many a long day. I usually wear a tshirt and have a shirt or hoodie in a bag, never needed anything more than that. I love both and find them quite different. I can show some photos if anyone wants to pm me. The undercard is always where I discover new artists and see them by chance like Lizzo, Danny Brown, sons of kemet, let's eat grandma, dream wife, idles and many surprises like Sparks, Marc Almond, Pet shop boys. Not the strongest ever lineup this year granted but under the circumstances I'll take it!

We've found that staying with a walk of the site is a must, having to get public transport or a taxi afterwards is tough. And we spend the days on the beach or seeing the wonderful city again.

Edit: Just found out Black country in Olympia now cancelled for good - boo!!

Post edited by sweetie on

I'm not slagging off the festival, just pointing out what I consider to be a fair few negative points. I had a great couple of weekends there in 2007 and 2010 but there are other European festivals I prefer, including on these islands. In terms of cost you've already paid out €500 and €300 for hotel and flight, add in circa €200 for the ticket plus circa €400 for airport transfers, food, drink, etc and you're at the top end of my estimate at €1,400. The pals I know consider that good value as they love it but that's more cash than my accumulated costs for EP, Glasto and Pohoda this year, including flights. At some stage I'll go again (and enjoy it) but I don't consider it good value. I've also never seen any chill out areas (and it's gotten much busier since I last went) as everywhere was close to one or other stage with much soundclash. Maybe that's better, am happy to be corrected. EP, Body & Soul, Glasto, Latitude and other fests have got a lot of areas that are pretty peaceful, not so at PS, Reading/Leeds and many big continental gatherings.

Re transport we had no hassle getting taxis there, maybe good luck but people are leaving at such staggered times that there was always some taxis about. The metro was also open all night on the Saturday, though Covid may have changed that.

Have a great time and some feedback here please. I really don't mean to rain on your parade and I'll be very envious when you're there that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

Little Simz has herself down as playing the Friday night on her website:

https://www.littlesimz.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

No worries, just an alternative view. Yes it's a european city trip away so always going to cost more. I got early bird ticket 170 and that gives 6 or 7 days of music 4 of which are practically all day (thurs to sunday.) Hotel cost is shared between two and there are cheaper options but we're not young anymore!

The main thing I love is the weather and the curation of the lineup. They have also expanded the site in both directions and seems to be better spread out with much of the soundclash eliminated.

Always going to see good festivals getting busier, EP has it's fair share of annoying lads too. My only other european festival has been Pukkelpop, it was fun but camping in hot weather was tough. We bailed on the last day (not my choice!)

Anyways, here's to a great summer of live music and festivals and pints and hugs lol!

Advertisement