Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How much or to what number will our population need to grow to before there is a public backlash ? Or well, it’s starting to happen..

in 2030 our population as per government numbers is predicted to rise to 5.41 million. I think it’s about 4.96 now….

no way in heck our small country can absorb, process and fairly accommodate that sort of population spike and maintain its ability to provide a safe, healthy, fair and nice quality of life for its citizens…. But our wellbeing as taxpayers isn’t really priority it seems….

there isn’t really a plan B as we are married into the EU… which of recent times is failing the wellbeing of those of its ‘current’ citizens… it’s bullying them…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've said it elsewhere, but many who are against mass immigration don't even vote. I'm guilty of that too. If we had compulsorily voting, I bet you'd see at least 30% of people voting against it, especially from working class types. if journalists were honest, and started pointing out reality to people, it could be a majority.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

When have voters had a chance to decide on mass immigration, or pretty much anything related to immigration? It's been a topic remarkably ignored by politicians during and after elections.

Having a vote isn't much use when all the political parties are pushing a similar agenda, and the only alternative parties, are pushing worse Ideas on other topics. Compulsory voting wouldn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

I'm a Brit.

Imho, we voted brexit largely because we are fed up with mass immigration. I honestly think when Merkel invited millions of third world people into Europe she pushed a lot of brits into voting Brexit....

Trump is an arsehole, however he at least talks about certain issues which are a concern to the average American.... that's why he became president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

The most common excuse people give for not voting is basically " I would prefer not vote, than give a vote for any of these chancers" ( which is a valid enough reason I suppose ) but it would be much better if they went and spoiled their votes......politicians always claim that a low turnout can be explained by " Sure they're happy the way things are", when in fact its the opposite!

Trump was voted in as a reaction to past politicians and the lack of coverage many issues received. You're completely right. It's a lot like the way that SF will (cringe) be voted in here, as an alternative to the other parties on offer. I don't think people are really appreciating just how much apathy/depression that many people feel about the last few decades of politics.. the desire for a change back towards something meaningful and honest. Kinda like the way democracy is portrayed in movies rather than the reality.

As for Merkel.. she was just the most prominent individual pushing that line... there were plenty of others in many countries which wanted the same thing. And no, the British voted for Brexit more due to their own culture and history regarding Europe. Immigration was definitely part of it, but the UK has always held a notion of being a nation that stands alone and does very well in that position. A return to independence from French/German manipulations. And while I think Brexit was a terrible idea, I can understand why it was accepted so much. It appealed to that sense of standing alone, and being free of foreign control.. it's just a pity that British politics has remained so inbred while that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

According to Coveney they want to increase the population by 1 million, half of which will be through migration....but he doesn't want to make an issue of migration...

It's not a vote winner

’they’ ? Yes FG and their supporters… the business community want numbers increased so tills ring louder…

from Simons site

“While we face many challenges presently, we know we need to think ahead for a radically different Ireland of 2040 including;

• A national population increase of around 1 million people;
    • More than one-fifth of Ireland’s total population being over 65;
    • More than 500,000 additional people at work;
    • 500,000 homes needing locations much closer to services and amenities; and
    • rebuilding community and commercial life in the hearts of our cities and towns and protecting the many qualities of our rural communities”

He wants / expects a 20% increase in our population in 18 years..

what fûcking use is that to the ordinary citizens, Irish people ? We are donald ducked…there is literally no benefit to anybody here…

you won’t be able to move around big cities, transport infrastructure to cope with intra-suburban demand isn’t planned, won’t cope. Either will urban transport…

housing ? health ? You better have your own place and be and remain in good health before this shîtshow starts

Simon sees it as in his words… ‘a challenge’ … why should the wellbeing of Irish people be challenged and jeopardised in this manner ?

other successful democracies flourish with border controls….Canada, US, Japan etc…

the extra 1 million people in 18 years is almost mentioned as casually as if it was the government building a new roundabout.

when the chronic housing shortages occur, will Covney and co. be going after a single girl living in a 3 bedroom semi house she inherited from her parents, her family home with compulsory purchase orders to give it to a family of 5 arrived from xxxx ? She ends up in a one bedroom apartment and her savings and newly acquired ‘compensation’ gets taxed ? Because now everything needs to be put in the pot to fund the 1 million new arrivals ?

“a radically different Ireland”. NO what he means is that if you are a working class person…’a radically shittier and unhealthy Ireland’ for you, your health and wellbeing, aspirations,and that of your family and loved ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is always worth a mention when Convey gets brought up

Peter Sutherland, known as the 'father of globalisation' dies

"Peter Sutherland, the former Irish Attorney General, European Commissioner, and "father of globalisation" has died, age 71.

Sutherland died in Dublin on Sunday morning, having been ill for some time.

"Peter Sutherland, the former Irish Attorney General, European Commissioner, and "father of globalisation" has died, age 71.

Sutherland died in Dublin on Sunday morning, having been ill for some time.

Born in Dublin in 1946, he became Ireland’s youngest Attorney General at the age of 35. He went on to become the youngest European Union Commissioner, where he helped lay the groundwork for the European single market.

He was also a former Director-General of the World Trade Organisation, travelling the world to hammer out multilateral trade agreements, a role that earned him the moniker "father of globalisation".

He was active in the private sector, as a long-serving chairman of oil giant BP as well as Goldman Sachs International. He was also a member of the Foundation Board at the World Economic Forum.

For the past 10 years, Sutherland had served as United Nations Special Representative for International Migration, highlighting the urgent need for action to help the world’s most vulnerable people.

Tributes

Professor Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum said: "With the passing of Peter the World Economic Forum has lost a great friend and a personality who was absolutely essential for building the Forum into a truly international organization with global impact."

The UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, said he was "deeply saddened" by his passing, adding that he was "fearless and forceful in his advocacy for some of the world's most vulnerable people".

European Commission President, Jean-Claude Juncker, said he was a "giant of Irish, European, and international public life."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/peter-sutherland-father-of-globalisation-dies/

He's all but a worshiper of a man who was called the Godfather of Globalism, by one of he biggest globalists institutions in the world. I honestly think politicians like him have no care for humanity or people, as all they do is make our lives worse. I honestly think Ireland needs to widen its treachery laws, as people like him can ruin our country, and they never suffer any real consequences but being voted out, which is nothing compared to what they are doing to our society

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Immigration is a hot potato, our current politicians won't touch it. It would be very interesting to see a proper right of centre party here, what FG are supposed to be take on mass immigration. I'd wager that the majority of the country would be against it in its current form. I know the benefits of immigration and I'm all for it but why not follow the Canadian or Australian models and take in people who have the points, people and their families who are less likely to be a burden. I guess the answer to that is that we don't have a choice in the matter, we do as we are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

And these people will go on about anti-democratic regimes elsewhere. And Brexit being stopped.

Neck like a jockey's Rolex

Even if you do think we need immigration, why import people that dont really fit in?

Ireland could easily go to places like Russia and get all the immigrants it needs. Youd have a people that are part of the European "family" that understand our culture and like a drink.

As it is, ireland is importing people that dont want to integrate and constantly complain about racism.....

Tbh, I think our political system has failed in the West. We have politicians that no longer look after us...

Walking about suburban Dublin, I reckon about 10% of people are non European....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Comical stuff lol. Get all the immigrants you need from Russia lmao, everyone else can stay out

In the uk some migrant groups just fit in.... why should that not be a factor in an immigration policy?

After WW2 a lot of Poles etc settled in the UK. They worked hard and followed our culture.

I went to university with this guy. I didn't know he had polish ancestry until they read his middle name out at graduation....

If you're going to have immigration that's how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that we are members of the EU and the SEM, any debate about migration should mainly concern non-EU migration, surely?

I think it's fair to say that nobody serious is suggesting leaving the EU, and therefore EU migration is a settled issue, i.e. unlimited amounts are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

How do you think that's going to work out for a small island country..opening your country up to over 450 million people that's without migration from outside the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Making such claims makes your posts less credible and dubious . I am an Interpol agent .

• Advertisement

I’d suggest leaving the EU as a lesser of two evils then the extra million people that Covney is promising us.

Ireland, Italy, Greece, Sweden, France and Belgium are all countries where EU skepticism is on the rise..

citizens there see their overall wellbeing, physical and financial security being actually or potentially compromised due to issues on this continent… terrorism , financial instability and problems brought on by rapidly increasing populations… immigration or should I say the levels of it are negatively impacting quality of life for us in a serious way….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I see the two replies made to me above.

To me, EU membership is very important.

So I am willing to accept the implications of unlimited migration within the EU.

However, I believe we can remove EU immigrants who can't support themselves, but that is rarely used?

If that is the case, then maybe that law should be used more.

For example, I strongly reject the taxpayer paying for housing for any EU people here who don't have a work record here.

Unlimited migration within the EU no problem but immigration from outside is what’s killing us and our wellbeing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Be alot worse after today. Even people with an existing deportation order can apply to stay now in this new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭mcgragger

There are 21 houses on my street.

Slovaks in number 1

Polish in number 4 ,7,8, 12 and 13

Romanian 15

South African in 20

Indian in 21

Nearly half the of the street is foreign and mostly don't make an effort to integrate

What would you suggest they do? What do you mean by integrate?

Are they living their lives, not doing anything illegal, looking after their families?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some posters still want you to explain what intrgrate means. Maybe they don't integrate themselves. I know exactly what you mean.

• Advertisement

Actually, he said to get them from cultures that have proven to be able to successfully integrate. As usual, you're dumbing down what has been said, just to score some imaginary virtue points.

Humans tend to work in patterns. Patterns of behaviors. It makes logical sense to take a process, such as immigration, and to improve that process to be efficient. Most processes/systems in society are streamlined to a degree to increase efficiency, and decrease friction. This is no different.

There are a variety of cultures that integrate well with European cultures, and we know this from the past. It makes sense to encourage peoples to come from cultures that mesh well with us.. as opposed to encouraging cultures that don't.

Advertisement