Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The 55k passed figure doesn't tell the whole story, as we heard at committee last week. According to the figures last week the passed figure ready for order is closer to 35k with a further 20k ready for pre-order, so 90 days, but as we read above that could be up to 6 months.

NBI say they will have passed the original planned 60k by the end of March, with 85-98% of those premises almost ready for connection with some tidying up to be done.

NBI should indicate on their site the actual pre-order, RFO and connections figure but I guess for them the bigger combined number looks better. It's like when Peter O'Dwyer always quotes the lower connected premises figure in his SBP articles to make the numbers look bad.

NBI committed to putting up more data on its website last week, lets see what happens.

54,000 premises are available to order or pre-order across 21 counties, as well as three islands off the coast of Donegal; 34,417 premises are available to order by 31 January 2022; 7,355 orders have been received by retail service providers; 5,477 connections have been completed across 11 counties, with 1,300 connections made in December 2021 alone;

Post edited by The Cush on

Playing politics with broadband leaves taxpayer on the hook (irishtimes.com)

Published yesterday in the Irish Times, when I read this if felt like a flashback to pre-contract signing days.

I assume Robert Watt considers his €81k pay rise affordable and value for money, the highest paid Sec Gen now I believe.

Justification for spending this amount of money was not presented and involved costs and excessive risks with questionable benefits, he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Eoin Burke-Kennedy is pure Click Bait. Great nose for a hot topic, never delivers in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

No I get that, but one would assume if they give you a date for connection, that would be the 90 days done away with. That would be considering they have up to 90 days to give you a connection date then that connection date would be within a 14 day range. Not a 6 month one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It's possible they're giving you a far out date because they've no idea when they'll get to you and pull it back in when you change to ready for order ...

I'd be curious if you tried to pre-order with another provider if you'd even get an installation date....

You're in the Tipp DA if I recall? I've pre-ordered with Digiweb, and they didn't give a date.

Post edited by heavydawson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tipp36

I just called another company on my DA for pre order and I asked them when the pre order window closes and they said they’d double check with NBI, they reverted back to me advising end of march is last for pre orders. So I’m assuming my DA won’t be connected until April/may time the earliest if that’s the case. 🙄 bearing in mind that NBI have gone live in the area 1.5 Km up the road from me is ready to connect very odd but i know it’s down to different DA in different areas.

You won't find much sympathy here for an April/May connection date. You're one of the lucky ones :-D

Oh i know 😂 hopefully it will sooner than that tbh it’s annoying seeing it on the poles and then seeing neighbours 1.5 km up the road live with NBI 😂

There are multiple ribbons in each DA. Each ribbon goes live independently. There can be a long time between the first and last ribbons in an area going live. Ask the poor folks here in the Carrigaline DA.

Ah ok that would explain it. I know I’ve seen a few things about that DA 😱 it’s shocking tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Again anyone questioning NBI capabilities must be an Eir acolyte. They along with the other telco's that were tendering all pulled out. Amazingly the largest contract in the history of the state was given to a company with no skill or history in the area and now we are surprised they cannot hit even revised targets. Even to get to within a realistic figure of this target they start using a 6 month pre order strategy. Pre order is to advise other telco's that these lines will be available for installation by this date. 6 months is just smoke and daggers.

iT seems Metallah the parent company if NBI got paid for tendering for the contract considering that the the original documents stayed no tendering costs word be allowed.

What Robert Watts gets paid is immaterial. He has being handed the poison chalice of the Dept of Health.

NBI and The NCH are both projects where government's diddered and allowed interested parties to define the agendas

Slava Ukrainii

The bidding costs didn't come from the state subsidy, it came from the investors €120m paid to date.

Looks like the Norths fibre rollout is being expanded:

East Derry MLA Claire Sugden has welcomed the expansion of the Project Stratum internet roll-out to include a further 8,500 premises – many of them in local rural locations.

Another £32 million has enabled the project to ensure the additional properties can access hyperfast internet speeds of up to 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Thats interesting so that works out at 3,764 on average per premesis, when you compare that to 2.6bn for 540,000 premesis that works out at 4,814. On average so I suppose when you consider the geography involved and the amount of polls to put up and fibre to be rolled out its kind of on a par.

The 32 million is sterling, which works out around €38.5 million, or €4.5k per premises, so even closer to the NBI number

I'd love to know if the infrastructure was in a better/worse condition than the poles/ducts that NBI have been dealing with...

I also can't seem to find any information on what PON technology is in use, GPON / XGS-PON... ?

The network rollout cost here is €2.1bn for 554,000 premises over 25 years.

There is a separate €480m contingency fund, separate to the contracted rollout cost, that may or may not be used.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Getting daily emails now saying I can preorder have pre order weeks ago with no movement at all

Same here don’t know why they bothering with them. Got all excited today when I saw the email and was like yay this means now it’s gone live I can get it finally but nah. Not holding out much hope for it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

No hope of mine going live anytime soon I need poles to go up first as it's a new build

Ah jaysus you’ll definitely be waiting for that too happen so unfortunately 🙊

• Advertisement

Anyone who went to pre-order in December should assume you won't move to ready to order until the end of March at the earliest. Until then, get on with yer lives 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

New Digital Framework doc from Taoiseach's office.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/adf42-harnessing-digital-the-digital-ireland-framework/ p.15 -17

Dimension 2 Overall Targets

All Irish households and businesses will be covered by a Gigabit network no later than 2028

Presumably this includes both urban and rural so it's not exactly clear if they expect the NBP to overrun 2026.

...and broadband Universal Service Obligation to tidy up the loose ends.

Introduction of a Universal Service Obligation for broadband, where appropriate, to ensure and safeguard that services are made available to all;

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

Not only are there emails a month late, to get another a week later is a kick in the face. I see the vans all around the place but no movement. Feels like they are flying around putting up the boxes as fast as possible to hit some sort of target, then think about using them later at some stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

It may seem very frustrating now and I was where you are now last spring. The network is being rolled out as a large project and the are different teams doing each phase. You don't have one team working on a road until it is finished and turned on.

It seems like it takes forever and even when you have a DP outside your house all connected up it will still be a bit longer before it goes live. Just be happy that they are working on your area and it will be available to you soon. There are many others who will have to wait another 5-6 years before they see the activity you are seeing now.

Yep I know but sure nothing we can do only sit and wait for it to live unfortunately. Like you I see the vans outside my house nearly on a daily basis working on the DP outside for some reason they always there don’t know whether they testing it or if there is a fault with it. Seems like they are trying to meet some target for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We went to Ready to Connect this morning. There was an eir salesperson at my front door at 11.30am. I told them they couldn't pay me to sign up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Advertisement

When did you originally go to pre-order? Just curious if they're managing to hold to the 90 day window for the newer DAs

Advertisement