Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

Harsh, I like Mark I have to say. Love the travel series he does with Coach and Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I would be extremely skeptical of those figures without a bit more detail around the figures or the calculation. Theres definitely good money in YouTube though if you are good at it. I don't like Shiels much because I just find his whole output is based on getting views, uses the standard YouTube trick of clickbaity thumbnail with similar title of 'Is this the best driver ever?' or something like that. His videos aren't that bad and I'd watch his stuff on new clubs occasionally but not a favourite of mine. The clips he puts up of the podcast actually seem better to me because you find out stuff about the industry like the recent clip about MyGolfSpy.

If those figures are correct the most interesting thing is No Laying Ups income. I'm a massive fan of theirs and love all their YouTube stuff and would consider it a lot better than any other golf channel. They obviously don't do equipment videos though so its a different sort of content. They're clearly making plenty though given they have the original 5 plus 3 more employees, massive sponsorship deals with BMW, Callaway amongst others so they're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Would recommend "A Slice of Golf"... 3 English hackers chatting golf every week... Includes pro game round ups, their own rounds, topical stuff in a laid back, chat in the pub style...I enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Couldn't agree more, he is painful, over enthusiastic, would love to punch him in the face. Real pity because the guests, ideas and content are great

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought the Dechambeau episode with Rick shiels was very good. Don't get the hate for Rick he comes across as a nice lad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I kind of like them all really. They're all just for background noise, I'd only really pay attention properly if there's a topic or interview I'm particularly interested in.

My preference for topics though are the non professional stuff. So people talking about club golf, course maintenance, the stuff we actually deal with. I enjoy the pro stuff, but would actually rather hear people talk about their own courses and their Sunday competitions and their committees and nuisance members.

Mark Crossfield's podcast (hack it out) is doing a series on what a typical 15 vs 5 handicap golfer look like at each aspect of the game. So when a 15 handicapper is more likely to 3 putt than 1 putt (15 feet!) or how many fairways they should be hitting or the like. It's an interesting series.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I've been listening to a good few of the Hack it Out podcasts lately. The content is excellent but Crossfield comes across terribly. Maybe it's just his wording but while saying he enjoys helping poorer players you get the sense hates people higher than a 5 handicap. Constant sneering and putting down of poorer players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Id be of the same mind. I don't really listen to Podcasts but came across "The Breaking Par Podcast" Its the assistant Pro in Naas GC and his mate who is trying to obviously break Par. Its very well done & also has a you tube channel (got a great bunker tip of 1 video) But he was a member in Naas but has since left and joined The Hermitage but he gets lessons of the pro in Naas who got him down from 17 to 5.7 in 6 months 😮 Id say you would like it @bluenote as talk about speed etc but the topics are more towards us as mere morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

It's very good, I only came across it recently. It's The Heritage he joined, hasn't left naas. He's a member now in both clubs

Ryan Gribben the assistant pro would have been a high level player on amateur circuit. I assume a relation of Paddy gribben who played Walker Cup

• Advertisement

Oh right just assume he left! I actually went and got a lesson of Bernard after listening to the podcast 😂 was well impressed and am working on a few things since. I also met Ryan there and was chatting to him about the podcast and he just laughed seemed a descent bloke. Yeah he's meant to be very good, get the impression its natural talent too he won some big event in The European a few weeks ago by 8 shots I think!

Cheers. I see the first podcast is "is WHS working?" That sounds like something I'll enjoy disagreeing with 😂

A thing I found interesting is that Ryan just switched to using a full bag of Wilson staff clubs. Shows the new Wilson gear must be impressive. Obviously he's getting it sponsored but still I don't think there would be a requirement to use all 14

The new Wilson driver is getting great reviews. Their irons have always been good. Not sure if the wedges or putters compare well with the bigger brands though.

Ya driver is first Wilson one to actually be used on the tour I'd say.

Think the putters are getting there. The newest line carry a fairly hefty price tag. I've not seen them anywhere though for a look.

The Wilson balls are getting good reviews too, the company is definitely moving in right direction

Actually yeah i forgot about the new milled line of putters, they do look lovely but at €399 are way too expensive for a brand like that who are only trying to make their name in putters. Thats more or less scotty cameron pricing. Mizuno had a lower price with their M Craft range which was well received but then priced themselves out of the conversation with the OMOI follow ups, weird strategies IMO. Once you go over €300 for a putter it has to be something seriously special I think and none of those hold their value like a Scotty would, you can buy a scotty and try it, sell it a few months later for more or less what it cost you, maybe lose €50. I doubt you'd get €200 back for a Wilson putter.

It will be interesting to see if many amateurs go with a wilson, I suspect they'll struggle when compared to the bigger names but will definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

The inclination I'd reckon would be people would rather spend €450 second hand on a decent spec Titleist or TaylorMade driver in good condition, as opposed to €450 on a new Wilson

Padraig game'd a Wilson driver for years I'm sure. I dont get the Scotty Cameron fascination. I taught they are hard to use as in no room for error with them.. What I find gas is when putters were all around €100 for a decent one these were €250 which was mad money at the time. Now the likes of the other brands have gotten more popular and the price of putters has gone threw the roof €450+ mark. The Scottys have gone up too and are nearly double what they were 5 years ago for more or less the same putter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

€500 for all new Scottys':

No wonder fitting has become such a thing. In the past you could buy, play it and if you felt it didn't suit move on. At this sort of money, you would nearly need a mortgage!

• Advertisement

I'm biased here as I do like Scotty camerons but just on the point about no room for error, wouldn't agree with that characterisation at all. They have blades and mallets, if you struggle to putt with a blade putter you will struggle with a scotty cameron blade but that isn't anything to do with the brand. For the blade style they are every bit as forgiving as an Odyssey White Hot 1 or Ping Anser. To me the feel of a scotty is very hard to match, toulon design is very nice too though, haven't tried an Evnroll or PLD. Scotty position themselves as a premium product so their prices reflect that, no different to Toulon Design Odysseys or more recently Pings PLD range, Scotty Camerons have very strong resale value by comparison to the others. They are all pricey but I think their build quality and premium feel reflects that. Ultimately if you want a milled face putter you really only have those 3 brands producing them unless you take a chance on the Mizuno/Wilson putters.

For me the biggest outlier in putter pricing is Odyssey. Their white hot putters are around €300 now and their other ranges are closer to €400 which is crazy overpriced in my view. Considering how quickly those clubs lose their value compared to the premium offerings it makes them very unattractive to me as an option.

On the podcast topic, i gave the Ball rollback pod a go as my first entry to this podcast. It was horrific, about as uninformed, factually incorrect a discussion i've heard on the subject. I turned it off after 11 minutes when one of them said that the pros would figure out how to hit the new ball as far as they currently do. Might go back and try some of the 'breaking par/regular club golf' stuff but I certainly wouldn't be interested in hearing their views on pro golf based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Podcasts I'd regularly listen to,

Hack it out golf

Golf weekly

Sky sports golf

Irish golfer

Rick Shiels golf

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You kinda get trapped and it becomes habitual to listen to certain ones...In general your just listening to people giving their opinion off the top of their head ...at times , little or no research or engagement with experts...

It's entertainment..but your getting to a point ...some podcaster and You tube dudes, think they are actually journalists...but they are not.

I've no problem and enjoy a bit of entertainment...but the lines are becoming a bit blured when people are giving serious opinions about something they have not even read or researched. And to make that worse , they are influencing (whilst a massive corporation behind many of them)

You'd get way more informative solid data here based on someone who actually knows topic..and is not biased or bought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

That's why I love Golf Weekly - you have very good journalists and broadcasters involved, as well as a former pro.

Maybe people will realise ...free stuff only gets you so far..the journalistic model is broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

The former pro talks the biggest load of nonsense out of all of them bar Davenport

I know - I've just posted about maybe if you pay , you might get quality. But do you have to pay for GolfWeekly - and is it worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Golfweekly is about a 5iver a month...must say I really enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I keep meaning to try Golf Weekly. Have no issue paying for good content, have patreon subs to a few pods and support NLU via the nest. My main golf podcasts are Shotgun Start and NLU. Shotgun Start took me a while to get into (Andys voice was tough) but its probably my favourite when it comes to looking at back at pro events. Funny, not too serious but also usually good for some insider tidbits too. NLU recap pods are fine but it does depend on the guests IMO. They are much better at 'proper' coverage if that makes sense, the pod on the ball rollback for example was well done but they do good LPGA coverage and interviews with pros too. The Fried Egg is excellent too but can be a bit technical and is golf architecture centric, would rarely miss an episode though and they have some great guests too like Tom Doak.

I've tried most of the irish pods but find they're poor when covering pro golf, much more useful for 'irish' centric content IMO.

Advertisement