Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and selling used electrical items - safety

Options
  • 31-01-2022 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

What are your views on the sale of used electrical items be it on selling sites , or privately sold or even buying from.charity shops and the like.

I know in this day and age we are told even more now to recycle items but what if someone had messed around with the wiring of the thing they are selling or took out some safety feature and sold it and it was dangerous for the next user, say if it caught fire or electrocuted them. Tell me if I am wrong but j do not think there are any regulations on selling second hand electrical items in Ireland.

When you buy an electrical item from a shop , toaster kettle, microwave fridge, washing machine whatever you know that it is new and has not been messed about with and (should) be safe , but if you buy a second hand electrical item then how do you know that it will be safe to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The charity shops around me don't deal with electrical items for this very reason.

Never bought a second-hand kettle, but I have bought use electrical musical instruments and cameras online, and it never (pardon the pun) phased me. I guess you just hope for the best.

You could say the same thing about second hand cars, especially from private sellers. Life is the acceptance of some risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

If you worry about stuff like this then dont buy anything that does not come with an iron clad shop guarantee. Avoid any risk. Never take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's a PAT test for electrical appliances to check safety

If you're a spark you can do a few basic checks

Appliances can still go on fire though regardless of testing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Buying from a shop is no guarantee of safety, I have bought a kettle & deep fat fryer that were both recalled. Have another kettle the thermostat is gone ropy on. Anything can fail. There are some simple checks you can do like open the thing up and check for burnt wires / remove any dust that might catch fire, check for bits of tinfoil where fuse should be, test the item in a shed / outside on a dry day till you are happy it's working properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The PAT test is probably the most applicable test in this circumstance as long as the portable appliance is suitable for testing.

In Ireland the rules for PAT testing state that the test can be applied by "a competent person", but the difficulty here is around the test apparatus as the equipment isn't cheap and you may need training to be defined as a "competent person".

But certainly a basic PAT test at 500v would identify significant hazards with second-hand equipment and may be sufficient to provide a basic duty of care to a second-hand reseller. But what an insurance company would say about that - I'm not too sure. Could be a business opportunity there all of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,800 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Depends what the item is really. I collect old electronics, from games consoles to AV receivers and stereos and my house hasn't burned down yet. I do give them a good look over and clean before powering them up though.

Wouldn't be buying any second hand appliances with high electrical draws, I think that's probably asking for trouble and I'd imagine the wear and tear on things like that would be far greater.

The one 'dangerous' thing I do work on and use is old CRTs for arcade machines. I send off the chassis on these to have them recapped and they'd never be left on unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A few years ago I was working with a guy who bought a George Foreman grill second hand. It was for something like 30 euro and they were going brand new for around 60. After a week he mentions it again saying why did he even do that. While the grill looked clean enough the previous owner could have been toasting sh*t sandwiches in it before selling for all he knew (that line always makes me laugh) He realised it wasn't that smart.

I then told him that there are articles about finding pubic hairs in or around kettles in hotels. So yeah, forget safety for a second, dont be buying certain second hand electrical goods.

But you'd never do anything if you thought like that. Every piece of food from the supermarket "could have" glass or a needle in it. Every guest in your house "could be" sticking the tv remote control up their arse when you nip out to the kitchen. Someone "could be" spunking on your dog when you're not looking, and then you're rubbing your dog saying "who's a good boy?" and getting some randomer's dried baby batter all over your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I laughed out loud at the remote bit. Haha. Good one.

I get what you are saying - how would you know - but how well are you going to trust a stranger at the same time? Especially as in the example I mentioned, buying a second hand George forman when they are going brand new for a couple of euro more. Fair enough buying something like a vacuum cleaner but you won't be cooking your dinner with it either.

As for pubic hairs in hotel kettles - it's accordingly a thing. Many a YouTube video people have made to share their own shock. Even stories about people boiling up their dirty knickers in the kettle online. Like people posting it online that they did it. Not a bother to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i say you're great craic down the pub OP😑

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah , great debates me and my mates have thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is only one charity shop I know of that sells electrical items, one of the Enable Ireland shops in Dublin city centre, where they have at least one trained PAT tester + the gear (its not that expensive) on site. Others won't touch them

I bought a secondhand microwave once for us (they are pretty expensive to buy new in shop) - got it home, lovely clean condition hardly looked used , looked brand new - only thing was the wire out the back was extremely long and white without a moulded plug on it. Set alarm bells off , I thought "that dont look right" - undone a few screws took the lid off (avoiding the high voltage magnetron area) - someone had chopped original cable off and put some new wire on and twisted the cable together and done it up with insulation tape. - i dare say it would have been OK and not cause a fire or electrocuted anyone but what was seen could not be unseen so I tidied it up and made a proper (safer) connection there on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A standard microwave is not what I'd call expensive.

49 quid in Currys - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/cooking/microwaves/essentials-cmb21-compact-solo-microwave-black-10220856-pdt.html, Asda have them from £40 - my previous one was from Asda Enniskillen which is convenient for Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

OP, you're going to sh1t yourself when you find out about electric cars 😳

yeah but the one I got second hand wasnt one of those plebby ones - it was an upmarket one LOL :D and a proper brand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Now that you mention it I did dry my jocks in the microwave a few times when I was stuck

Seemed to work alright remember burning at least one pair though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How many fires or near fires are caused by faulty appliances vs those caused by householder ignorance in relation to extension leads etc.

I did a fire safety course once and two appliances mentioned were dishwashers (frayed wiring in the door) and tumbler dryers (clogged with fluff and not allowed to finish their cooling cycle)

When I was a kid my parents were obsessed with plugging out the TV every night due to fear of fire.

I was given an old pc once and although it worked fine, the kettle lead that came with it got very hot. No problems when I used a different lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone going to Newry for drink, there is a charity shop which sells kettles, toasters, microwaves, cookers etc. Coming from Dundalk it is on the hill beside Supervalu. Habitat ReStore Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I looked into this before and it seems it is buyer beware by law. If you know it is 2nd hand you take the risk. The way it was put to me was that the goods are to be viewed as reasonable expectations for a person. I was making lamps and checked could I sell them and it is fine and no CE cert required once the items used are.

Electrical appliance don't just have their own safety measures your own electrics in the house are going to kick in. Yes there is a danger but very small.

What is crazy here is that you can't do electrical work on your own house now. Can't even add a new socket to a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,800 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oxfam Homestore on Francis Street do too actually, can be a great spot for picking up old hifi bits and pieces. Similarly, they've someone comes in and tests everything.

Advertisement