Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

See some twitter fools have tried to get on a bandwagon asking people how to cancel their spotify. Some labour councillor I think, Rachel Moynihan is it?

Fools just grab onto any possible story to further themselves.

Why did Neil Young publicly advertise he was asking Spotify to remove Rogan?

When private companies ban people they don't like, it's grand, they say it's a private company and can platform whoever they like. But when they allow someone they don't like on it, they demand they get removed or else.

Neil Young has said homophobic things in the past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It was coming.

Rogan gets a lot of medical quacks on to spout their own ideas, and promote whatever book or venture they are involved in (😏).

Controversy sells, and makes some of these quacks a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

10 minute response video from Joe Rogan (he doesn't do soundbites). He won't be everyone's choice, but this video gives a flavour of why I enjoy his podcast.

That does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Measured from Joe. Hes a decent fella. Basically he just needs to shut up a bit on his podcasts and let the guests speak.

If people are so stupid that they'll take potentially life changing advice from a podcast hosted by an MMA colour commentator then maybe they deserve what they get.

We're witnessing a new form of entertainment become huge now and the top dog is the one taking the hits. Rightly so in a lot of ways and wrong in loads of ways.

All this certainly puts to bed the "who cares what Neil Young thinks?" craic from the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Its funny , the biggest peddlers of misinformation , are always the ones to cry the loudest about ..misinformation. . Look at the comments in this Journal article , particularly the first and second comment... Im ashamed that some of these people breathe the same air as me. Edit: posts appear to have been removed

Post edited by BruteStock on

• Advertisement

Joe taking the high road and showing himself to be twice the man of his detractors..even if he's only 3 feet tall..

(Which was what was always going to happen because that's what he's like..)

Haha, It's amazing how they can't figure out how to cancel their Spotify account themselves and need to ask about it publicly. It's not hard. It's almost like they are virtue signaling.

Those comments I've seen attributed to Neil Young about homosexuality over the years are shocking if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Something that those who want Rogan dropped by Spotify likely will fail to realise is that by being on a mainstream platform, he has been forced into giving misinformation warnings, challenging his guests better and having on more varied guests. That would not have happened if he’d been summarily dropped and picked up by some platform with a libertarian ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

You can say whatever facts you wish because one day it may be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Which medical quack did he have one? Think before you answer, there's a good chap.

• Advertisement

"So and so is a dumb persons idead of a smart person" is a dumb persons idea of a smart dismissal

So are you. I bet I listen to Rogan as little as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Ooh burn!

The point stands though. Some people lack the intelligence or education to be able to tell whether they are listening to an intelligent person or intelligent discussion. I'm often struck by this when watching a TV show where someone has tried to write a very intelligent character - unfortunately, it's more or less impossible for someone to write a character smarter than they are themselves. It's the same principle in reverse.

What - someone who defends Spotify’s decision and criticises a poster for petty rudeness?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The trouble isn't people taking advice from Joe Rogan, it's taking advice from Joe Rogan's guests, because Rogan lately seems to have been going out of his way to interview people whose opinion go against the scientific consensus and tie in with Rogan's own beliefs and "research" on the subject, and then he doesn't challenge or question (and more importantly, can't question/challenge) their opinions, and those are the viewpoints that is put out to Rogan's listeners. And a lot of the time people will believe that which goes against the consensus more so because it goes against the consensus, as it makes them feel smarter. And I include Rogan himself in that. He seems to be purposefully looking for things which go against the grain and buying into it completely simply because it means he's "done his own research".

He used to interview people who were experts in their field, fields he was interested in, and just have conversations with them about it. Now he seems to be trying to find "experts" who can explain what he already believes anyway and then doesn't challenge them on anything.

This is a great example of why putting your faith in an individual is dangerous. People change, or people turn out to be something other than you thought. Joe Rogan may be bringing millions of listeners with him on his journey away from science and facts, and into harmful fringe beliefs.

If you are going to trust anything, trust the process of science - a process that generally treats findings as provisional until we have a better explanation, and keeps looking for that better explanation. It doesn't rely on individual people who can lead you astray. In fact, there's a known phenomenon called 'Nobel Disease' where individual scientists, Nobel Prize winners and hugely accomplished in their own field, go on to embrace fringe/lunatic positions in other areas. This hopefully demonstrates that it's the process of science that produces useful results, rather than the individuals working in the process.

Is it fair to say he goes out of his way to get guests that go against the current consensus? Or would it be fairer to say that - second hand - many people only hear about the guests that do so?

For example how many of the articles moaning about the two Drs he had on - also go out of their way to mention the sanjay gupta interview? I haven't read more than 5 articles on this matter myself but only 1 of them mentioned sanjay gupta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

I can't believe the crap he gets. It's an unreal pile on. He's never been anything but straight up. I'm probably one of his dopes that laps anything up. I'm a ratlicker 🤣

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good response from Joe.

I've rarely seen him talking and find it funny matching his voice to that head.

• Advertisement

^ Hehe. The funny thing about that is - the person I have heard say you should never take anything Joe Rogan says seriously because he is a meat head and doesn't know much - more than any other person I have ever heard say it - is Rogan himself.

He is successful and has a platform. That is enough to make people's responses to his minor misdemeanors turn disproportionate.

He's chasing an audience. A bigger audience means more money and influence (and success) for him. I guess he's going to get more of an audience from having controversial/wrong people on the show than having shall we say scientifically orthodox people come on and state the facts.

Does he not do both though? As I said he had Sanjay on who expressed mostly consensus views. Then he has someone on who does not express consensus views and suddenly he is being accused of going out of his way to do the latter. People ignore when he does the former.

Just like when he had someone on who made an anti meat documentary on Netflix. "Game Changers" wasn't it? After having the guy on supporting that Docu and the points in it - he then had on someone to debunk it (Chris Kresser if memory serves?).

He will have someone on spouting all kinds of crap about UFOs. He will then have Neil DeGrasse Tyson on doing the opposite.

So nah - not really buying the "picking guests just to build more audience" narrative to be honest. He claims to bring on guests that interest him personally - and I have watched enough of his stuff to take him at his word on this.

Remember the recent controversy (if you can call a few loud mouths on twitter a controversey but it is these days I guess) is about two guests. Out of 1770 podcasts. Most of whom go under the raider - not noticed at all - and are from an array of backgrounds and topics.

But 2 guests are contentious and suddenly there is a whole narrative about what his agendas and ideas must be.

Isn't that a bit like saying that US schools that teach Creationism alongside Evolution are doing a fine job? By giving a platform to cranks to make their case, a percentage of the audience is going to think this has equal weight and equal validity to scientific fact.

Not quite as useful an analogy as it might seem given that there is absolutely no evidence for creationism and that debate has essentially been settled decades ago for anyone but a few cranks who can not let go.

That is not quite the same thing as open questions about emergent technologies and viruses and what is in many ways an entirely new experience for our species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I must say Neil Young leaving, or rather being pushed off the platform has been a bit of an education to me in terms of what artists earn on the different streaming services - nearly all the major streamers give better rates than Spotify. It takes on average 350 listens on Spotify for an artist to earn one dollar - which is even more painful when contrasted against the rumoured $100 million Rogan got. It's something I should have looked at a bit more closely before tbh. I'm not interested in the podcast side of things and 3 or 4 hours of Joe and guests rambling holds no interest to me so I'm moving on to Tidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I mean if 95% of experts agree on something and 5% don't, and Joe interviews 3 of the 5% and 1 of the 95%(*), then there's an unbalance there.

(*) - numbers just made up to illustrate a point, not actually representative of recent guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I've seen a couple of heads on facebook start posting Joe Rogan videos on facebook over the last year, generally with rants about masks and the lockdown or espousing the need for Ivermectin to be a treatment. I got berated for trusting WHO and the CDC when I posted an article in relation to Covid. Can't be dealing with that scutter at all. Ended up deactivating my facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Joe is not a public service broadcaster. I’ve watched a good few Joe Rogan interviews on YouTube down the years some of them were excellent and others I’ve turned off after 5 mins, Why can’t people make up their own minds about these subjects. Without needing to have them censored. He has said now he will aim for more balance so I think that’s fair enough.

• Advertisement

That is a logistical issue really. I am content to hear two sides on any debate that is current (as opposed to the analogy to creationism for example which is to my mind settled). I think it a little bit much to expect a podcast to bring on representative proportions in that way. Not to mention insanely boring. In your example to be "fair" there would have to be 1 guy followed by 19 others? Who would bother sitting down listening to 19*3 hours worth of the same material over and over?

I would be happy to hear one response. For example one of the Doctors in the "controversy" at the moment said that (quoting from memory here so sorry if I make a balls of it) the delivery lipids of the vaccine did not stay in the muscle where it was expected they will stay but actually travel around the body and accumulate specifically in the brain and the ovaries (for those who have the latter). And this might explain "brain fog" and "period alteration" respectively. So there we have a hypothesis and a mechanism. That's good science so far.

That is interesting and I have not yet looked into that claim myself. I do not need to hear 19 guys rebut this claim. 1 would do.

Advertisement