Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Listing on NASDAQ today, don't they provide a lot of the Ionity chargers?

"Tritium expects the capital raised through the transaction, together with its anticipated additional funding, to help fund its growth as a technology market leader in the EV charging space, expand to three global manufacturing facilities, grow global sales and service operations teams, maintain its capital needs, and other corporate uses."

Are Tritium the biggest manufacturer of chargers outside of Tesla or ABB?

I think Tesla manufacture Superchargers in New York and Shanghai at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I passed a white Mercedes EQA 250 on the M1 today, and I have to say it was a fairly pretty looking car (from behind anyway). are they mad money?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

55-60k i think

cant see why you would buy one over a Q4 etron

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Tritium as far as I know are Australian and have only 50kW and 75kW and here (they sell 150kW) tend to be easygo or applegreen own branded 50kW chargers. There is one 75kW between cork and Limerick but supply limited to less. They tend to be less reliable than ABB units if rumours are true.

In terms of ferry charging I would typically arrive 1+ hours early for ferry so I would possibly fill up just before ferry at 50kW charger. I have heard stories of charger on ferry not working , but I might pay for convenience if a full family on board It's normal enough for ferry companies to overcharge for extras such as flexible tickets, hopefully they will add loads of chargers in time.

The overhead power lines on motorways is nothing new. In many countries public busses latch on to tram power lines when in city and use diesel when not on power lines. Irish rail are ordering electric trains with batteries so they can do dart line trips, and go a few stations beyond overhead lines running on batteries thus extending the dart lines without installing more overhead lines.

It does seem as a bit of a stop gap solution to install a network of power lines on busy routes to mid trip trucks. Battery swap or truck /cab swap might be more practical for regular cross continent trips.

BP's head of customers and products Emma Delaney told Reuters that strong and growing demand (including a 45% increase in Q3 2021 vs Q2 2021) has brought profit margins of fast chargers close to fuel pumps.

"If I think about a tank of fuel versus a fast charge, we are nearing a place where the business fundamentals on the fast charge are better than they are on the fuel,"

The charging business as a whole is not yet profitable, because currently - in the expansion phase - it requires very high investments. According to the article, it will remain like that until at least 2025:

"The division is not expected to turn profitable before 2025 but on a margin basis, BP's fast battery charging points, which can replenish a battery within minutes, are nearing levels they see from filling up with petrol."

• Advertisement

The price of lithium carbonate is now almost $24,000 per tonne, up 290 per cent in a year.  

Analysis from BloombergNEF suggests average battery prices could rise by $3 per kWh in the first half of 2022, the first price increase for lithium batteries since BloombergNEF started tracking the data in 2010. 

“The rising cost of commodity prices would certainly start biting the battery industry in the first half of 2022 if the price rally continues,” says Dr Kwasi Ampofo, head of metals and mining at BloombergNEF. 

My insurance is up for renewal this month.

Currently with Aviva who have offered €310 which they said is their minimum car policy premium.

I see Allianz has a minimum of €284.

What's the lowest anyone's paid here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine recently went up to their new minimum of €310, I suppose can't complain too much, was €280 for last while. Missus the same on her new Ioniq 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for raising the topic of insurance, I'm going to be shopping around soon (hopefully) for insurance purposes on a V id.3 Tour 5.

I'll come back here with a quote when I get one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What if any sort of EV wouldn't get too upset if it spent a few months sitting idle on a driveway, and only used a few times a year during a holiday etc...?

I guess with them all they'd need regular use to keep the battery healthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I remember reading about buying LFP cells for a home battery and the manufacturer said they're delivered with a 50% charge since that'll minimise degradation when stored for along time

Not sure if NMC cells in the Tesla behave the same way but it might be worth looking into?

Although, I'm not sure I follow the logic of owning a car that only gets used a couple of times a year 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 41 peterwhit

Could you PM me your insurer? We had to pay an additional €162 on top of our existing €411 premium when we switched from Ford Fiesta to Ioniq 5 exec plus….

Hi, no need to PM you. It was Aviva. Had to speak to them on the phone as Ioniq 5 was not on their on line list, eventually got onto a very helpful lady. We have many policies with same insurer over many years..

So do we have another full electric household (ID.3 & Ioniq 5)?

Yes, why aren't you paying attention..😁. We have been full EV household for a while now, the missus traded in her old Ioniq classic about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

In centerparcs at present. Brought the ID3. Started out with 100% charge and got here with 65%. Won’t even need to charge here or on way home. It’s a great car. The only thing I’d like in it is a bigger boot.

Ha, I didn't realise you had the Ioniq before as well. I haven't been logging in for about 2 months to be fair

I'll confess I do feel a bit smug driving past the petrol station these days and seeing the horrendous fuel prices. Nice not to have to worry about that anymore

The recent hikes in electricity prices however...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This.

And yet we all have those friends or work colleagues who say, "oh I couldn't get by with an electric car", despite never travelling outside of their town or city for 95% of the year.

I suppose the price per km from 1c to about 1.1c is almost bearable, lol 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you did need to there is a bank of 4 chargers in the car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Yea youtubers can be annoying it all about the money and subscribers.when should be about the videos and entertainment with there subscribers.

That not to say there all like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah we saw them but honestly don’t need it. And don’t want the hassle of moving the car again after charging. Be grand.

I heard a good explanation of it a while back. Basically they don't get money per subscriber or anything, but having more subscribers gives them more pull when trying to get press cars or invitations to events

It does also put them on the radar for more sponsorship deals. Some of them are fairly shameless about who they'll take money from to do product placement (for example a certain car repair guy selling headphones and beard trimmers).

Others seem a bit more discerning, Bjorn for example won't do deals with any car companies and tends to focus on brands that are useful to EV drivers (although Stormbeg is a bit of a stretch)

So yeah, the whole like and subscribe thing gets fairly annoying, especially if they keep asking through the video. But since YouTube is basically one giant popularity competition, it's pretty understandable

I ended up charging the ID.4 on the last morning. I'm pretty I'd have made it home with plenty to spare, just the old Leaf driver paranoia kicking in 😂

One tip, turn off the departure timer while you're there, cuts down on the vampire drain. Or turn the temperature down to something minimal

I've had a Zappi v2 installed since August 20 and haven't had any problems with it.

Over the last 2 or 3 months I've started to notice a few appearing at houses in the area, alongside a new EV.

I live in a cul de sac of 15 houses, nobody has 3 phase. What would happen if every house had a charger installed, and each house was charging simultaneously? Would their be some sort of power limitation to the area given the amount of energy being requested and consumed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Maybe for interest for some Tesla S/X owners CHAdeMO adapter 99 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What would happen if every house had a charger installed, and each house was charging simultaneously? Would their be some sort of power limitation to the area...

Yes, is the short answer.

It is known that parts of the network will need to be upgraded as we progress to more and more EV's and heat pumps. It will need to be done on an as needed basis. Not as much in housing estates but more so in rural areas where one transformer could be feeding 5 houses.

Each house is connected to a transformer and ESB can roughly tell when a transformer is being overloaded. They wont know exactly when everyone is charging their cars but they'll know x kWh's is going through that transformer so they'll have an idea and you'd probably start seeing lights flicker etc. One call to ESB and they'll check if an upgrade is required and that will be that.

I would say a cheap one as depreciation may be highest cost for EVs. If used very little you should lift wheels off the ground, and shield tyres from direct sunlight. Tyres will crack and get flat spots if left sitting Make sure tyre pressures are high. Ideally keep indoors in a dry garage. In terms of main battery some cars you can limit charging to say 70% and so then leave car connected to the charger. You might want to disconnect the 12 volt, or put it on a good trickle charger or bring it indoors to keep the frost away from it.

I don't know if any brands are better than others but Tesla tends to look after main battery and 12 volt battery well, any car with connected app will at least allow you to check status so you don't arrive to car with flat 12 volt and flat main battery. Teslas tend to drop 1% per day, so you might need to keep charger connected. With a remote app you could fill to 100% before you arrive, although the leaf might be able to do this, but the non 100% option is not on later models I believe.

In terms of depreciation an old 500 euro banger car may be less risk and cost to leave sitting parked up. You can declare off the road to not pay road tax for one calendar month at a time with minimum 3 month re-tax period. Older cars (over 10 years) would need an NCT every 12 months.

In the short term no, instant showers take more than EVs, people throw on their kettle, electric cooker, washing machine, it's really only peak times 5pm to 7pm where problems might happen, but EVs can easily load balance and charge at night. In the UK all new home chargers must be internet connected, and medium term the plan is to send out a signal to delay charging at peak overload times. In the long term car to grid systems means your house has a 50kW battery to help balance the grid, in the form of a car, and so plugged in EVs gave massive potential to soak up excess wind at night, and feed back to grid at peak times. Smart meters already penalise energy usage at peak times in terms of cost most high mileage EV commuters already use night rate times.

Theo e away from gas and oil to heat pumps will have a bigger impact as they may be operating 10 or 20 hours a day, but they will probably switch off at peak times and ramp up and cheap times

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Everyone doesnt take a shower at the same time though and they only last minutes (same for kettle etc). The question is around EV charging which will all happen at night at the same time and for hours at a time so lots of overlap.

What you are referring to is max grid issues but the question wasnt really about the overall grid, its about the individual transformers on his cul-de-sac being overloaded. Smart meter's wont solve that. ESB have said they will need to upgrade parts of the network on an as needed basis.

His example.... 15 houses in a cul-de-sac. If even 10 of those are charging at 7kW's each at the same time, what will happen? Very hot transformers and low voltage is what will happen! :)

The transformer(s) will need to be upgraded.

In the long term car to grid systems means your house has a 50kW battery to help balance the grid, in the form of a car, and so plugged in EVs gave massive potential to soak up excess wind at night, and feed back to grid at peak times.

V2G is a long way off in terms of general rollout. Its proven tech but not ready for prime time.

"None" of todays EV's support that (a couple of exceptions) and by the time it becomes common you will have 000s of people with cars and charge points that dont support it and reluctant to shell out more cash for it. It will happen, but it wont be everywhere in the medium term.

Advertisement