Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon Oct 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thank you, I genuinely feel so bad for you but I won't go on about it. Let it digest then see what you decide to do next. As always I will look forward to following whatever it is🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

congrats to everyone who did it today, beautiful day in MCR for it and a lovely route for the most part! support was amazing too.

personally i am absolutely gutted. third marathon and ran around 2.5 to 3 times as many km in training this year compared last time (dub 2019) ....and i finished a half an hour slower. i had high hopes of smashing my PB (i was aiming for 3:45 till 20m and then push on to see if i could hit closer to 3:30). limped across the finish after really struggling for nearly half of the race. it was a very bad day at the office. i felt so low walking past the crowds at the end on my own (having flown over from dublin by myself). i know this type of running is a challenge against yourself and nobody else but i couldnt help feel like a total failure with all the people cheering as i walked past. so many amazing people out showing support - the crowds surely rival dublin?, seeing the name on the tag thing and giving support. it definitely got me jogging again when i heard their encouragement but i felt like i couldnt maintain it more than a few min without nearly collapsing at this point and i ended up in a vicious circle of walk and jog for ages. im absolutely gutted. this was supposed to be a big PB and such a rewarding trip but i totally failed against the goal i set for myself. still finished though - had to get the medal and t shirt and finish even if it killed me.

i dont know what happened, i guess i could write a proper report later too tired now. i knew from the first few km that it was going to be a long day just based on how i felt. my pace dropped off after 25km and then by 32k onwards it was a mix of walking and running - i felt very unstable on left knee but its ok now so i probably just didnt have the mental resilience i guess. it was two hours of torture just to get across the line.

maybe in a few days when dust settles ill feel a bit better about marathon running, sorry to put a negative spin on things here. onwards and upwards i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Don't post a lot here but I've been following the thread and the logs of those running for a few months so said I'd put up a report.

Ran yesterday, second marathon after a 2.57 in Dublin 2019. There was a lot more training went into this one though!

Conditions were perfect, no wind, dry, flat course, couldn't have been better although I think some people found it too warm.

The goal was sub 2.45 although I'd have been happy enough with anything under 2.50.

Went off a bit too fast, GPS was very inconsistent inthe city centre so didn't really realise what pace I was doing until I was a minute up at mile 8. Was feeling good and a bit of a group had formed so stuck at the pace regardless.

Went through half in 1.21.05, felt great the whole way to 20 miles. Felt too good at mile 20, so decided to pick up the pace a bit and did my only 2 sub 6 minute miles at 21 and 22. Took the last gel at 22 which unfortunately due to the increased effort didn't sit well, got a bad stomach cramp, slowed up a bit which the legs didn't like and ended up doing the last 4 miles at aroun 6.23, could have been much worse but definitely shouldn't have picked it up at 20!

Crossed the line in 2.42.32 for a 15 minute PB, although this one was vaporfly assisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Those crowds were cheering for you regardless. Getting over the line is the biggest achievement. Well done and you'll be ready to go again soon and deal with the unfinished business. By the way, making up 15 mins in the last 6 miles would not be my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Manchester was my debut marathon. It was an amazing experience and the crowds and volunteers were universally brilliant. I had it in my head that the course was very flat so imagine my surprise at mile 17 going through Altrincham! Anyway, long story short. My target was sub 4 and my optimistic plan was 3.45. I was on course for that until mile 20 where I stupidly thought I might be able to push on and do better. By mile 23 I had completely abandoned that idea and getting to the finish was my only goal. Still managed 3.44 so I am very pleased with that indeed. I've never had a harder last 3 miles. The wheels came off completely and I needed a good sit down afterwards. Well done to all the competitors. I think I learned a little about myself yesterday.

Splits were 8.20/8.38/8.39/8.38 for 10k/HM/30k/Finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your 1st marathon, couldn't believe some of the hills & drags towards the end myself😂 Hope you celebrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Ran a 4:24 in Galway Bay last week and was hoping for around the same yesterday. Landed on Fri and met up with my son and went out for dinner. Felt really unwell afterwards and was up all night Fri and sick all day Sat too. Couldn't eat, thought it was food poisoning. Rang home, whole place is sick from a bug. Can plan for a lot of things but not something like this. Was going to pull out altogether but said I'd wait until Sun morning to see if I was any better. Woke up fairly ok and just set a plan to start out slow and just complete it. Came in at 4:43, happy with that all things considered. Loved the course and support on route, great to be back in a big city marathon again. Will definitely be back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Post edited by Marty Bird on

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Excellent run, I ran a 2:58 in DCM 19 myself just wondering what plan you did ? I ran 2:59 at weekend wasn’t really pushing so I’d like to see how fast I can go.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Really good to be back in a race. I think I only fully realised how much I missed it when we got up for early breakfast in the hotel and it was full of runners and then the chats on the tram on the way out . Fantastic day, well organised and great crowd support. Finished sub 3.30 so happy enough.

First time in Manchester, lovely city and really lovely people. Ill come back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Didn't really follow a plan first time, Dublin 2019, I wasn't in a club and basically just ran easy miles during the week and a long run at the weekend for a few months with occasional tempo runs. Had a good base going in to it though.

This time around I was in club and followed the sessions set by the club coach. To be honest a lot of the time he just set sessions that were fairly generic for whatever the mood of the club was in at the time, e.g. I spent half the summer doing 200 and 400m reps cos a good few lads were training for 1500m races. I got the long run in every week and a tempo or longer interval run every week though, and probably averaged about 60miles per week for 9 of the last 11 weeks ( holidays and taper meant there were 2 much lower weeks in there).

anyone sign up for manchester in april?

9 weeks to go

after my disaster in october and watching some inspirational videos i decided to sign up again lol. it was a good event last year, hope the weather is as good in april..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yep, I'm in. Havnt run a marathon since Dublin 2019 and have had a string of injuries during the lockdowns. Started the Hanson 18 week plan on 29/11 and after 3 weeks I had to take 2 weeks off after a spinal injection so playing catchup at the minute. I'm using Manchester as a test to see if this old (67 year old) body will stand up to the training, have no particular goal just going with whatever the day brings.

very inspiring! hopefully 30 years from now i am in similar condition to be still thinking about doing marathons, we will see ha ha.. (37 year old here)

similar objective for the day as yourself really.. i would like to get a PB of course and it is possible but the last time was very disappointing so the main thing for me now is to have an objective/something to focus on for the next 9 weeks while we wait for the spring to kick in. i find myself floating about and a bit lost particularly during the winter months if i dont have something to work towards so this will be good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I'm in the middle of my block for this race, very excited.

Dublin 2019 was my first Marathon and with great thanks to the Boards novice plan for that year I finished in 3.59. I complete the 2020 Virtual during covid in 3.56 and covered the distance other times(one at 3.46) since to keep busy during the lockdowns.

I'm aiming for a sub 3.30 and depending on the weather and how the last 8 or 9 weeks of the training goes maybe a bit faster.

This week my main thought are on what shoes to wear for the race. Currently I have the Saucony speed, Saucony pro and Nike Vaporlys in my rotation for racing/running fast/sessions. The Saucony are fab but the Nike are just a bit special but the pair I have are a very very snug fit which is no problem for short runs and intervals but the marathon is known for foot swelling so this is also making me think about buying a pair of Alphafly as these are marathon specific and I can probably do with a 1/2 size up. Have to decide this week as I will need to put them through at least 50 mile and a long run to know for sure.

Good luck to you guys as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I've the vaporfly and 95% sure they'll be my shoe for Seville in 20 days time. I've only done one long run in them, an 18 miler yesterday with 9 miles at pace. Found them to handle it quite well.

The 5% is the new balance fuelcell elite, more comfortable but doesn't have the zip of the Vaporflies

In for it myself too, training was interrupted by covid and I lost about 7 weeks as a result. Won't make that up as I'm probably only running properly about 2 weeks but I'll head over and dog it out. Use it as training for lap of the gap in May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Manchester is an unticked box on my list. I was due to run in 2018 and just as I was starting the taper I got a dose of shingles, a sure sign I had burned all the matches in the box in training. Have learned lessons from that and have a much healthier respect for the training programmes especially the fact that easy recovery runs are just that.........recovery !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm in for April. Another sub 3 attempt so saying nothing more till after the race to avoid putting a pox on it

Need some reassurance from anyone who has ran this in the past as an 'International Runner'

I had unsubscribed from marketing mails years ago so didn't get the race number and wave announcement. Bloody stupid that actual race information can be bundled into marketing crap so I got in touch with Human Race to ask for my number and wave and was told I wouldn't be assigned this until race pack pick-up.

Is this true and how do they then assign the wave? Is this just a badly worded response from some clod in Human Race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Last year I didnt get my wave details by email, I sent them a quick DM on twitter and they sent me my wave details. I picked up the race number at the expo, I dont think they sent this beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Ya, same experience as that. DM'd them on Twitter to get wave information and then collected the number from the "Expo".

i also had to contact them via social media to get my wave details last year

when you go to the expo on saturday they wont give you safety pins with your tag BTW so make sure to bring some in your case

i (foolishly) spent the saturday going from shop to shop in central manchester looking for them (with no avail) and in turn clocking up 15km on my feet for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

There is a running shop "Up & Running" very near the expo, so if you do forget anything you could be on luck.

The gels and hydration stations were very well run last year.

Yeah agree with regards gel and hydration stations last year.

I'd be tempted to rely on the gel stations and not bring a belt full around given how well run they were last year!

Thanks all,

I had a few more mails from Human Race yesterday. The more I pestered them, the more info I got. As said above, you get most of the bits and bobs at the expo, nothing unusual there. The pins is a strange one but I've a tin full of them (the safety pin industry would be on it's knees without runners).

My wave will be based on the predicted finish time I entered on registration which is grand. Thanks for the tip on pestering on Twitter, I'll do that now

PS it would be very easy to dip into any wave, i was standing there last oct at the tescos car park waiting for my wave to be called (red) when I realised after a while that red wave had left 15 mins earlier and the pink wave was starting... there is nobody checking from what i could see. if i was in pink wave i could easily have gone in red, etc

That's what I'm trying to at least cover from my end. I ran Berlin way back in 2009 and the pens were like the Tokyo subway with people being shoved in cos others were hopping into other pens. Then there's Valencia where they nearly took DNA tests before they'd let you into the pen you'd been assigned

Is the expo in the same venue as last year ? Have gotten no info off them whatsoever

• Advertisement

2022 event guide is out now and it contains all the info:

there is also option to get a Ukraine bib for £10 and this fee will be matched by UK gov, check the official website.

has anyone got their wave yet? i am not sure which wave i am in, i will find out when i pick up the race number on the saturday anyway sure

Advertisement