Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Forgot I had a clutch today and stalled the t-roc. Makes me miss my ID4 even more. Such effort involved in a manual petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My god, I’m already getting range anxiety and I haven’t even got the car yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I hope the software update does address some of the winter range issues. I've had mine since April last year. During the summer months I was getting close to 5km per 1% battery, and that was a mix of short and a couple of long journeys.

But in winter, that has fallen through the floor, and definitely short journeys just destroy range. I had charged the other night, and the following day I did just two journeys, totally about 7K of SOC went from 80% to 70%. So 4% battery for 7km. So based on that I'd get a range of circa 140km on an 80% charge.

Personally speaking, I think the manufacturers (I'm not just pointing finger at VW here as I think all EVs suffer this) have really not taken the battery loss in colder weather seriously from the start. I do think it is outrageous that they can claim (using VW iD.4 here) a 500km range and then in winter you can lose effectively 50% of that due to cold weather & use of the heater (appreciate there is no engine to provide the heat). They really need to give it more attention.

On a separate note, but again related to the winter, the condensation that forms on the inside of the windows when the car is sitting is mental. Its really is terrible, and gives a bit of a damp feel inside the car. Even after wiping it off, still need to use the heater to clear the windscreen properly, and another hit to battery.

Dont get me wrong, I do like the car, but these things need addressing (along with the laggy software). To me its not good enough to be saying "just leave the car plugged in to heat the battery before you drive or turn the aircon on to preheat the cabin".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

with the EV sales of the past 12 months, it’s most peoples first time realising what winter range really means. Our usage doesn’t change in cold weather (if anything it increases), but our ability to use the car as normal is hugely hindered.

as for the condensation, that shouldn’t happen in any new car - Currently have a bmw and I know the fan can spin freely even when the climate is ‘off’ (or something to that effect) when the car is off and locked, to prevent condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So based on that I'd get a range of circa 140km on an 80% charge.

But thats not true unless you are saying that when people talk about range they mean "how many short journeys from cold can I do".

Most people interpret range as "how far can the car go in one trip". Using that definition you will get way more than 140km for 80% as you will only be heating the cabin once.

I had charged the other night, and the following day I did just two journeys, totally about 7K of SOC went from 80% to 70%.

In your example... it went from 80-->70%. OK, so is that really a problem? Its not like it affected your ability to use the car that day or the next.

VW, for sure, have improvements to make on the battery heating which is sucking unnecessary energy from the battery in winter but the batteries are so big anyway its not really that big a deal. I think the issue is overblown.

On a separate note, but again related to the winter, the condensation that forms on the inside of the windows when the car is sitting is mental. Its really is terrible,

Thats not normal. You should get your dealer to look at that. Maybe you have a leak or the a/c isnt workign properly. Are your carpets damp? Do you leave the air con on so that it can dehumidify or do you leave it off? You should leave it on, particularly in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

My VIN appeared on myVolkswagan today. I contacted VW via their online chat room. I was informed that the car is in the docks in Germany and is awaiting the next ship to Ireland. At least I know it’s built and hopefully it will be here in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

140km at 80% charge????? Are you serious! Wow, you're giving me range anxiety.

Update: Car ordered mid-June. The car is now in the country and currently being registered. Delivery hopefully in the next two weeks. good news.

Post edited by n.d.os on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

LOL no, its a problem of the battery using a % to heat itself for short trips, the OP just done some quick maths to show that a total of 140 km of such small trips would use 80% of the battery.

if its not fixed soon more people will be complaining about it and how it would be cheaper to use petrol lol.

So I tried to "preheat" the car again to drain the battery a bit more while it's parked up at VW, and I get a "12v battery too low" warning, and I can't remote heat the car. I'll ring tomorrow to see what the progress is on the loom coming from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Regarding the condensation, do you have the departure timer set to heat the car in the mornings

I've mine set to 18C in the mornings just to warm up the car and get rid of any damp in the interior

It's probably costing me a few euros a year extra when the car isn't used until later, but I think it's worth it to have an interior that doesn't smell of mould

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I'd be ringing the garage and asking why the car is now in worse condition than when you handed it in 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Are you saying if we don't do this our car will smell of mould?

Half the threads here are people saying battery degradation is some sort of myth, and the other half go to extraordinary lengths to preserve their battery integrity.

goes to show how little understanding there is of the battery chemistry, or perhaps too many stories from early EV adopters who got burned.

Bit of an overreaction no?

Just following VW's own advise about 80% charging. If they'd followed their own advise they'd not have fully charged the car.

Odd the 12v isn't topped up by the hvb.

My point is - why are you worried about the battery being charged to 100% for a week or two. It’s surely not that fragile, on such an expensive car.

and it’s got an 8 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really don’t think you need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I must confess to hitting F5 several times today. And glad to see that the VIN has just popped up . At least my car physically exists now.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'd say you’ll be looking at an early March delivery with any luck.

T-roc hopefully going back tomorrow. Filled it back up to what it was before i picked it up (only drove 110km on it), and averaged 10.1l/100km (Cheers creche runs and Cork hills), so just under €18 for 110km. Could of done about 1500km in the id4 for that money on my 6c night rate.

Anyways, fingers crossed it'll all be behind me tomorrow

No I dont think it would be as serious as that. As Kanuseeme replied, its a combination of cold weather, short trips and using the heater. But its still something people should watch for, especially if you are doing a lot of short trips. As I said, in summer i was averaging almost 5km per 1% battery. But in winter, range does take a hit.

• Advertisement

As Im still working from home at moment, im not using the car every morning. But, and it is just my opinion, its a serious **** flaw if you have to preheat the car every morning (in cold weather) to keep it from getting damp on the interior. Surely the interior should not be getting condensation like that. I havent noticed mats being wet, but certainly a slight feel of the seats being a little damp.

I've used the aircon when using the heater to clear and de-humidify the windows and the clear fine, but its another hit on the battery as a result.

I dunno, it makes sense to me considering the car sits in the sun all day and freezing cold at night. I'm working at home as well and have the departure timer set in the mornings and never had any significant condensation

I noticed after last winter that my wife's Citroen, which got about 10 mins use a week, had a serious smell of mould on the inside and the air felt damp and stale

The Leaf on the other hand was fine, mostly because it was getting fresh air every day I reckon

I think it's something which only became noticeable for a lot of people over the last couple of years since they had to get used to their cars not being used every day

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

I don't see any significant condensation or dampness in mine and I never preheat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah the mould thing is a nonsense

Back in action today. Door all fixed and glad to be back. Missed that instant torque!

Great news, you'll need to give the car a good spin to shake off all the cobwebs

The dust more like. Nice thick layer of dust. Picked up on a Saturday so no car wash guys working at VW. Better though. Hate the automatic car washes they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did you ask them about the 12v battery replacement/2.4 while it was in ? Not that they'd tell you anything anyway.

Good to hear it was sorted quickly

Nah. Not expecting them to know much about that yet tbh. New cars will come with it. Campaign to replace the 12v batteries starts in spring, so in Ireland I'd say well be a few months beyond that.

They were pretty quick I guess. Had to wait on a loom from Germany (handle was painted and ready to go early in the week) but it was 11 days in total. Odd to think I couldn't even get a diagnostic until mid February when it wasn't a safety issue, but I can't fault them really. Much better experience than I had with my old ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RDRourke

Anyone order a GTX? I have, and was told to expect delivery in February.

Advertisement