Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

While that’s all very well and maybe entirely true it doesn’t address the core point that this is an extremely stupid business decision. The gym analogy someone used a few posts back is a good way of putting it. They are going to spend the same amount of money on the product, while offering it in a way that is almost guaranteed to substantially reduce the intake from it. Bizarre.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It should be run as a public service rather than a business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

THAT'S GAELIC 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

It is. It's going to lose money this season. And that's a hit the league is willing to take presumably because it sees the value in marketing terms etc ie having good quality footage of goals etc to share online.

This incarnation pretty much is a public service just as the season pass model was. But circumstances have changed. The season-pass was to allow people follow their club in the crowdless pandemic - it's not feasible now. Had this €7 individual match proposal been offered 3 years ago, pre-pandemic, people would have lauded it. But we've been spoiled by the service over the past 2 years - but that was an exceptional circumstance - we're back in the real world now.

There are a host of reasons why the season-pass thing doesn't work for the LOI now, not least that clubs don't want it affecting their gates. There's a reason that the FA in England don't allow matches at 3pm yet here we are appealing for low-cost, loss-making streaming of the LOI, that will inevitably canibalise attendances when the league needs those attendances to grow and some clubs desperately need those bums on seats to survive. A season pass would definitely hugely affect away crowds at places like Finn Harps. Then you have the problem of dodgy box providers for whom buying an LOI sub and offering the matches to subscribers is all too easy with a season pass . That gets a lot more troublesome with one-off matches. I have mates, LOI fans who thought it was great having matches on dodgy boxes when the actual services was available for half-nothing.

At the end of the day, our league is an in-the-ground/watch-it-in person product - that's where the LOI is at its best - it's not great on TV due to bad grounds etc but the league have given us the possibility of seeing games that we can't go to - when I think back to pre-pandemic times I'd definitly have taken that.

The suggestion that there'll be an online highlights show at the weekend is a positive I think.

All that said, I would agree that something should have been done for overseas fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's going to lose money, and that'll be it scrapped. It's set up to fail. They've set it up as a bad business decision so they can justify the scrappage and go on podcasts and spout shite, if it was a public service decision they'd do season passes, only they are afraid it might do ok and they'd have to keep it.

On the other hand they may have said "hey look all these season ticket holders watched x match, if we had individual match passes we could have made a lot more money." Not taking into account A) Stadiums were closed for half the year, B) These people may not have watched if they didn't have season tickets.

• Advertisement

The 'set up to fail' thing is absolute nonsense. If they don't want to do streaming they could have just pointed to the figures from the last couple of years and explained that the model can't possibly work, rather than spend a season losing money, and then have to explain the exact same thing that they could have a year earlier.

Here's the truth, people who in the past have thrown shade at others for watching matches in the pub and called them barstoolers, now want to sit on their arses at home to flick around 4 or 5 matches on a night rather than go to actual games. If you're an actual fan, you can go back to how you consumed LOI in 2019, with the benefit of a highlights programme at the weekend and the advantage of being able to watch away matches that you genuinely can't get to for €7 a pop. That's not a bad f**king deal in my book. People are behaving like spoiled babies on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The 'set up to fail' thing is absolute nonsense. If they don't want to do streaming they could have just pointed to the figures from the last couple of years and explained that the model can't possibly work, rather than spend a season losing money, and then have to explain the exact same thing that they could have a year earlier.

Given the fact restrictions were only lifted last week, 4 weeks before kickoff, they could not reasonably do that. They had to prepare as if we'd have capped attendances and a streaming service was necessary.

As for a season losing money...we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug at the summer break.

Here's the truth, people who in the past have thrown shade at others for watching matches in the pub and called them barstoolers, now want to sit on their arses at home to flick around 4 or 5 matches on a night rather than go to actual games. If you're an actual fan, you can go back to how you consumed LOI in 2019, with the benefit of a highlights programme at the weekend and the advantage of being able to watch away matches that you genuinely can't get to for €7 a pop. That's not a bad f**king deal in my book. People are behaving like spoiled babies on this.

Here's the actual truth and not some sh*te about how LOI fans are actually secret barstoolers: We want access to our teams games live, home and away. We want to be able to re-watch a game later if we weren't able to attend in person or stream live due to another commitment. We want the league to be as accessible as it possibly can be so it can grow. This includes simple things such as having highlights available within minutes to promote the league on social media. Anything less in 2022 is simply not good enough.

Why would anyone want to go back to 2019 where you watch your team play at home and then get text updates from the away games along with a 2-3 minute, poorly made highlight package from other matches? It's archaic. With a little bit of effort they could have made streaming viable instead of pushing out this €7 per match nonsense that will lose them even more revenue.

Given the fact restrictions were only lifted last week, 4 weeks before kickoff, they could not reasonably do that. They had to prepare as if we'd have capped attendances and a streaming service was necessary.

No, they didn't have to prepare as if there was capped attendances. The streaming company are doing all the games regardless. It's only the actually payment model that needed to be flexible and changeable dependent on changes in circumstances. And I've no doubt they'd have a couple of options prepared. It's not difficult to do.

As for a season losing money...we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug at the summer break.

Ok, so you reckon they'll pull the plug at the summer break and break the contract they've signed with a streaming company? No problem. Bookmarked - I'll be back to you in July on that 👍️

We want access to our teams games live, home and away. We want to be able to re-watch a game later if we weren't able to attend in person or stream live due to another commitment.

You do have access to that. Get up off your arse and go to the game. The LOI is a product best experienced in the grounds. And if you can't go, you can pay €7 to stream it at home on your sofa. It's not hard to understand.

Basically, what you want is to be able to have a stream provided for half-nothing by a governing association that's on it's knees financially. That's a wonderful idyllic world you live in. Here's a nugget for you, the wealthiest league in the world, the Premier League, a league that is falling over money everywhere it looks, doesn't provide the service that you're looking for. You do know the Premier League doesn't offer all it's games live now that the pandemic has abated and fans are back in ground? You know that right? But you expect the LOI to do that for you? You've been spoilt for two years and you can't see that we're back in the real world now. Things have to be paid for.

No, they didn't have to prepare as if there was capped attendances. The streaming company are doing all the games regardless. It's only the actually payment model that needed to be flexible and changeable dependent on changes in circumstances. And I've no doubt they'd have a couple of options prepared. It's not difficult to do.

I have no idea what point you're trying to argue here.

Ok, so you reckon they'll pull the plug at the summer break and break the contract they've signed with a streaming company? No problem. Bookmarked - I'll be back to you in July on that

What streaming company is this? Last year teams were responsible for their own broadcasts and there is no centralised contract that I'm aware of. We don't know the details of any of those deals and whether or not they have signed a full season contract with the individual production companies guaranteeing them 18 games to cover with no out. LOITV use InPlayer for their subscription/PPV setup and streams are delivered via Akamai. You don't sign contracts with these companies. They run on a scalable business model.

You do have access to that. Get up off your arse and go to the game. The LOI is a product best experienced in the grounds. And if you can't go, you can pay €7 to stream it at home on your sofa. It's not hard to understand.

I live in Sligo. I go to the Showgrounds and if I'm lucky I'll get to Ballybofey. I can't drive 2-3 hours across the country on a weekday.

I've already said I'll be paying the €7 for our away games, but our only option to stream games as a neutral being a €7 ppv charge is shambolic. Match passes were never been popular on watchloi/LOITV and that will continue, which means less eyes on games and less promotion for the league. It's even worse for overseas viewers who have been priced out. If you're going to offer a streaming service do it right and give it a chance of being a success.

Basically, what you want is to be able to have a stream provided for half-nothing by a governing association that's on it's knees financially. That's a wonderful idyllic world you live in.

How the f**k have complaints from people wanting to give them more money for a season pass led you to think I want it for half nothing? As for the FAI being on its knees, whose fault is that? It's not our responsibility.

Here's a nugget for you, the wealthiest league in the world, the Premier League, a league that is falling over money everywhere it looks, doesn't provide the service that you're looking for.

The wealthiest league in the world has better offers on the table for their rights and doesn't need to offer a streaming service to make it more accessible and help the product grow. Like with most LOI/EPL comparisons this one is dumb. Stop comparing the LOI to the EPL.

Decent move for Georgie. Rotherham are 3rd in League 1 and only a point off the top at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rovers charging €2 fee for online ticket sales for the Presidents Cup.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Lisa Fallon who usually comes across as more sensible that many other pundits has lost it with this nonsensical article on the LOITV even signing off that she would pay €15

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/lisa-fallon-why-would-we-give-away-loi-product-for-free-1.4787289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We beat Pat's 2-0 behind closed doors today. Goals from Mike Rowe and Jordan Adeyemo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The LOITV thing is the latest in a long line of bad self interested decisions in LOI circles.

There's no doubt a high correlation between the "First Division Alliance", some clubs still wanting winter football and those handicapping LOITV. They'd probably charge local schools for tickets instead of giving away free ones. "What's in it for us".

We should be looking to make it as widely available as possible as many games catching as many eyes as possible as easily as possible not just the fan who can't get to one away game paying once off.

There's no coincidence that there's players leaving for six figure sums with increased eyes on the game that do not have to watch the player in the freezing cold in the middle of nowhere. We got away from having to wait until Monday to show clips and highlights immediately on social media. Now we go back to the closed huddles behind the floodlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You are literally charging a €2 fee to buy a match ticket online.

Literally no LOI team does this.

I cant really take your well meaning post any other way than......

Someone said above it should be ran like a public service and I sort of agree. LOITV should be looked at as an investment in the promotion of LOI and WNL football. Trim the fat and if the service still makes a loss it would only be small and could be shared equally among all clubs. Cover the loss with money from whatever marketing budget the FAI have for the league, make RTE actually pay if they want to show a league game or take some from the €150k+ per year deal they have with the betting companies to use the streams.

The benefits of the service far outweigh whatvever the loss would be, and very few people are going to choose watching a stream over going to the match so I don't see gate revenue taking much of a hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

RTE pays €250,000 to cover the league. Eir used to pay around €150,000 but when they folded no other TV company wanted it.

On one hand you say it should be a public service but on the other RTE should stump up cash even though they've been jettisoning sports coverage like the plague. Even the GAA have seriously trimmed back on GAAgo because of costs. The viewership for WatchLOI and RTE coverage is dire and it doesn't stand on its own two feet.

The point you made previously about the NIFL is interesting. They've been picked up by ONE Football and Eleven for free to air online streaming. Considering the likes of the Iceland and Latvian leagues have been picked up as part of the same deal, they might be interested in LOI coverage and would at least cover production costs. Clubs running and paying for it just isn't viable without someone else picking up the bill.

RTE pays €250,000 to cover the league. On one hand you say it should be a public service but on the other RTE should stump up cash even though they've been jettisoning sports coverage like the plague. Even the GAA have seriously trimmed back on GAAgo because of costs. The viewership for WatchLOI and RTE coverage is dire and it doesn't stand on its own two feet.

Does the league get this money from RTE now or are the FAI still holding it like they did under the previous regime and we don't really know where exactly it goes? JD told us for years there was no TV rights money.

Clubs running and paying for it just isn't viable without someone else picking up the bill. It ain't gonna be RTE or the FAI, they're both 60 mil in the hole.

I have worked on many projects in this area over the years and it is 100% viable to run a streaming service with the numbers we know watchloi/LOITV pulled in. It costs a fraction of what it did even 5 years ago and bandwidth is incredibly cheap. There just seems to be no desire to, so you end up with them either begging RTE to do it and it costing a fortune for their cameras and commentators or you end up with what they are doing now: outsourcing the work to production companies and using streaming solutions that do simplify everything, but also charge an arm and a leg for it.

Here's an example:

It would cost approx €12,000 per month to build a system capable of holding 10,000 concurrent viewers with 4 different quality options, load balancing/failover servers, VOD storage for on-demand viewers and a CDN from a company like Level3 to ensure everything runs smooth worldwide. That would be €120,000 in server costs over the course of a 10 month season.

I'll give teams a budget of €500 per game in this example to cover matchnight production costs which would be an additional €171,000 for 19 teams over a season.

Throw in another €20k to cover front end costs such as using InPlayer to handle subscriptions, web hosting and so on.

Another €100k in salaries for an engineer(s) and support staff.

We're up to €411k there and I've probably added at least 20% to every estimate.

3000 fans purchasing a season pass for €150 giving them access to every game would generate an income of €450k. If you gave fans an option similar to last season where instead of paying €150 up front in February (not long after many of them shelled out for a season ticket) they can buy a half season pass for €80 you'd not only attract more subscribers but you would also end up making a little extra overall. You could offer special packages like 'follow your team' where you get access to just the 18 away games of your chosen team for maybe €80 or €100.

I'd be confident LOITV could attract 5000 fans across both divisions who would continue subscribing to watch their away games and also other random matches, or is that too ambitious? Clubs are announcing record ST sales this year so there is massive interest in the league currently.

Even if there were only 4000 season pass sales revenue would be in the region of €600k. After the tax man is paid the service is still making a healthy enough profit.

Anyways, that's enough fantasising about what a competent football association could achieve with a little passion and effort.

Need to at least try and lessen a 1.5 million loss a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Must say love the arguments above about LOITV. Probably been discussed more here on the last two pages than within the FAI or LOI management. A few interesting things which many FAI officials would like to go away and for people to forget.

• is is rumoured the FAI have been pocketing monies for the LOI TV rights for years - hiding them in the national team deal
    • clubs were not getting a share of the TV rights for years
    • it is also rumoured that the FAI were making money on the running of the LOI - again this money was not reinvested in the LOI
    • pitty they were not as prudent when it came JDs rent payments, credit cards nor birthday parties ... sure the money wasted would have been welcomed in the LOI and done a lot more good.
    • have the FAI actually told us what cut of the €7 will be going to the clubs? Silence seems to be golden on that front.

All in all, it was clear that the LOITV prices had to increase, however, it is not rocket science to think a little bit ....

• sell half season and full season follow your team passes to expats - money up front in the bank - am sure they could have got €150 for half a season and €260 for a full season.
    • sell all game packages - if you want to see everything you pay more
    • sell away day passes - again money up front
    • sell individual games for €9,99

Sure clubs could have done a season ticket and away day pass deal, buy a season ticket and get 10-20% off your away day pass. This PPV sh1te seems to be a back door for them to pull the plug half way through the season, whilst blaming the fans for it failing. As for the ladies games being free ... why not charge €5 for them also? The LOI needs the exposure just as badly as ladies football, in fact I would say the ladies national team get more exposure than many LOI clubs or FD clubs. Why not use some of the ladies national team sponsorship income to push the ladies league, likewise the mens national team sponsorship, why not channel a percentage into the LOI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Absolutely no basis to what you're speculating. The clubs were not consulted on this at all, least of all the First Division clubs.

What about the fact that most First Division clubs invested into streaming themselves before LOITV and WatchLOI launched? Plenty didn't even charge?

And after the FAI told First Division clubs that they were forbidden from charging, they continued to do streaming anyway?

In 2020 in WatchLOI, Premier clubs had their production all sorted for them by RTE and the league. First Division clubs had to put them effort in themselves with far less resources. We have absolutely embraced streaming.

Absolutely ridiculous and risible comment.

Post edited by Darkglasses on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

While those arguing the previous LOITV model wasn't working, they could at least have tried raising the season pass cost (and not giving it to season ticket holders of clubs for free) to make up the cost.

The ppv model is doomed to fail, it will make even less money for the service.

I know one poster was complaining about people being spoilt brats and they should just go to games, but they're neglecting to think about a few things.

1. Many who are complaining fo go to games, and they want to be able to generally follow the league for an up front fee additionally without having to question if €7 is worth it for any specific game.

2. People overseas, neutrals and 1st Division fans who follow the Premier Division, again are left with this choice of whether each individual game is worth €7. When it's your own club who you support it's an easy choice, when it's just another two teams it's a hard choice.

Adding to this many of us live busy lives now and often don't watch games in entirety (particularly if it's not our own team). I came home from work last year and occasionally threw on the last 20 mins of a game, or watched some of a first half before doing whatever else in my life. I won't be paying €7 for the privilege of doing that.

If the ppv model worked so well Sky would still be doing it for football. They had the most desired football product in the World and it didn't work there. How in God's name will it be a runner in the LOI ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What I liked about the season pass was if you were watching a dire match that you could see by half time was headed for nil nil you could flick to another game for the second half. As the previous poster said I will not be doing that at €7 a pop. How about watching old games? If I wanted to watch a match on Saturday that took place on Fri evening is it still €7 or is that just for the live game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think you've misinterpreted my post as an attack on the FD clubs or fanbases in relation to LOITV. If anything the efforts of FD clubs to deliver streaming off their own back demonstrates how it can be done without the mad costs that RTE claimed for watchloi or those determining that it needs to pay for itself.

Matty Smith has joined Derry on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing although we do have a lot of forwards already.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs have signed Jordan Flores. What do Dundalk fans make of him? I know he scored a few screamers but doesn't seem like he was necessarily a nailed on starter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still think we are missing a top midfielder to complete the squad.

Smith might end up being the last signing I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Is it just a matter of time until tolka park is saved? Who's the driving force behind wanting the sale of the ground in 2022? It seems like most TDs and councillors asked about it are in favour of saving the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

By whom and at what cost?

If it's retained as a community sports facility hopefully they open it up to a range of different sports clubs from the general area.

"Council management" tried to get Tolka rezoned back in November without the permission of elected councillors so presumably people with vested interests i.e developers are driving it. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/fears-for-future-use-of-tolka-park-and-st-pauls-grounds-after-rezoning-proposal-debacle-41014300.html

I think Tolka would be a big loss to the league and the Shels/Bohs groundshare will only serve to bury Shels.

On the flipside though if its sale was at least part funding Dalymount there's going to be knock on consequences. It does seem like that was the original plan when DCC got involved and that was why they reacquired the lease for Tolka at the same time they bought Dalymount.

Its now 7 years since they bought Dalymount and there's been little to no progress. The current completion date is 2025 - there isn't a hope of that happening. And that's after initially being billed as a training base for Euro 2020! The capacity has already been cutback from a 10,000 seater to 8,000 to the current 6,000 plan.

Its all getting very messy and it was going to be hard enough to build a €35million stadium in an inner city location as it was. It has the potential to fall apart and become a fix up and lick of paint job at this rate.

Post edited by topmanamillion on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I don't think DCC have covered themselves in glory in terms of planning in recent years. A litany of issues there and there doesn't seem to be any end to it.

But I think it's a tough sell to ask the same owner to develop two different football stadiums within 3km of each other. Even if they had plenty of funding (which they don't) it's hard to rationalise it.

I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to tell Shelbourne where they should go, but ultimately they are vulnerable because they don't own a stadium and need to rent one. However, I think Shamrock Rovers move to Tallaght has shown what's possible when you can agree a long term lease in a Council owned facility in a suitable location.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

The Tolka situation looks like its going to Get messy. Shels seem to be rethinking the situation with the recent article stating they will only move to Dalymount if their Female team has equal access . That's the first time they have stated any reservations about the move so it's getting interesting .

That however is a risky move as DCC could easily just limit their access to Tolka (or close it down completely on H+S grounds) they would be really screwed then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Looks like it could get messy with the Dalymount/Tolka project alright. DCC could end up going from being in a position where the sale of Tolka part-funds the redevelopment of Dalymount, to being expected to pay for the redevelopment of 2 effectively neighbouring stadia solely with their own funds.

I`d seriously doubt if it is even an option for DCC to fund redeveloping Dalymount on their own never mind Tolka. The whole project was also politically more palatable when it was delivering housing. Now it`s E35 million+ to potentially redevelop a stadium for the benefit of two clubs with a combined fanbase of about 1% of the population of the whole area.

• Advertisement

Tolka would be perfect for the white water rafting facility. Dalymount Park has received Stream 1 funding from the LSSIF and is priority 1 on both local and national government lists for the fund which is at least 100 million.

Plans are well underway.

Save Tolka Park have a couple of slides and a nice drawing, they're about five years late setting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Dan Carr has joined Shelbourne. He my young lad's favourite player when he was at Shamrock Rovers oddly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I thought Dan Carr was a decent player, could be very frustrating at times and not the most consistent or best finisher, but he had pace to burn and could certainly have moments of magic. Could be a good player for Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Good to hear , although I was under the impression Tolka had to be sold to part fund Dalymount ?

There's nothing to say that Tolka has to be sold to fund it. It makes sense to use that money to do so, but it isn't a case of if Tolka doesn't go, Dalymount doesn't happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It may well depend on that. Council spending budgets are so tight that there are little in the way of discretionary spend. If they don't have the money earmarked then it is not likely to happen. Each councillor is looking for a portion of the funds for their own pet projects and most don't give a crap about Dalymount as it is outside of their ward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm wondering what the end goal is of saving Tolka Park. Best case scenario is they stop it being sold. Do Shelbourne then refuse to move to Dalymount and continue playing in an increasingly dilapidated Tolka? A simplistic answer would just be to demand the council redevelop Tolka but I don't see that being a runner with them already having to fund the Dalymount redevelopment, and also a lack of political or public support.

"Save Tolka Park" is an easy bandwagon for politicians and others to jump onto at the minute but it'll be quickly forgotten about, it's a no-risk, no-cost position to take looking like they're fighting for the people against the evil Council, Developers etc. and they don't stand to lose anything if the campaign fails. On the other hand should Tolka Park get a reprieve, actively investing money in rebuilding the stadium would get nowhere near the same support. Shels attendances vary between 600-1000 over the last decade and I see little evidence of a wider Shelbourne "family" who'll sympathise with the club and demand funding. It'd be an impossible sell to stretch council budgets further to build a new stadium for a team with limited support, who also refused the opportunity to move to a brand new Dalymount only 1.5km away.

That's not to say I don't sympathise with Shelbourne fans; they're in an unenviable position and it's always a loss for the league if they lose a venue. However a bit of realism is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Has it not being broadly accepted DCC need €15 million from the Sale of Tolka for Dalymount? Surely Lambert and Co are totally against selling off Public Land to Private Developers or is it only their motto at times that suit?

The only councillor who seems majorly concerned about Dalymounts funding in a DCC meeting in late 2021 being affected by Tolka Park when the motion about the rezoning was Sinn Fein and Bohs fan Séamas McGrattan - a SF Rep for Cabra who's party have always been against selling off Public Land to Private Developers.... maybe it doesn't suit the SF agenda at this time.

All going to plan, they'll be similar amount of Submissions to DCC relating to the rezoning of Tolka Park in the Development Plan 2022 - 2028 in comparison to the 600 the Cobblestone received. We even had a few Bohs fan sign Submissions on the STP stall I was at on Drumcondra Rd recently, supporting the cause while being Bohs season ticket holders from the Drumcondra area! Great to see other LoI fans getting behind it.

Things may be a few years too late but the battle to Save Tolka is firmly on and time has definitely been made up.

"Lambert and Co"'s personal views are irreverent really, his job as COO at Bohs is the drive the Dalymount redevelopment project.

I don't think any Bohs fan wants Tolka Park demolished, best case scenario is a redeveloped Dalymount for Bohemian FC, nobody wants to share, least of all Shelbourne who have very little connection/fans in the area.

However as the project is still moving ahead based on a ground share, the club has to work with that.

Time will tell, I seen some of your fans were getting a tad worked up in your Facebook Group (comes up on my newsfeed on Facebook) that there's no news if this is the "last season in Dalymount" until moving to Tolka Park. A lot of uncertainty across the board,

Work currently being done in Tolka over the last couple seasons - new gantry for TV which cost a decent sum funded by Shels, Ballybough End being somewhat fixed up for this season to be used, etc...

Shels BOM insisting on ‘full and equal’ access to new Dalymount Park for women’s team at the end of December as someone mentioned above and Bohs then in the past couple of weeks stating Bohs WNL side will be back playing in Dalymount dealt another card to Shels you'd imagine - 4 teams in one stadium would be a tough ask scheduling wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I see we're in the Ballybough end on the 18th. Standing only so it's a terrace. Is the Riverside unusable or is it Shels fans? If it is used for Shels fans how are the entrances for them? The old entrance to the Riverside was in front of the Ballybough end, that could get messy if that's still in use.

Ye away fans are in the Ballbough with a assume some seating somewhere in the ground. Riverside is now for Shels fans, we have been there since Covid lifting due to spacing. Shels fans will all the entrance at the Drumcondra end entrance as usual and away will be in the same entrance as before at the Ballybough end.

That Facebook group is grim. It lowers your IQ every time you look at it.

AGM is where all the relevant info was given and according to the latest we are well on track.

I know their used to the a predications league on here but seems to have died - a mate passed this onto me. €10 per head it seems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement