Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries don't burn. So you can rest easy on that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

8 pv panels for nearly 3kwp , cost is €4,200 after grant refund.

That includes electric heating to hot water cylinder....

So I'm not sure how to proceed. We're not too mad on hot water. Maybe 10 showers per week with electric shower. Not really crazy about having constant hot water in taps.

Wondering would we be wise to get a battery to store power for evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well first up, that's not a bad quote at all what you have.

Personally I'd always go with a battery for storing the energy over a Eddi/hot water diverter. The simple logic is, is that while you can use the energy put into an immersion tank to have a hot shower, that's -ALL- you can do with that energy store. A battery on the other hand can be used to watch TV, or do the ironing......or manually turn on the immersion and heat the same water albeit with a small energy loss.

The payback math isn't there for an EDDI - that said, I bought one myself, but there are other reasons to get one than sheer payback.

If you go for a battery, you'll have to get a hybrid inverter which you probably haven't been quoted, so if you ditch the hot water diverter and go for a small battery 2.4kwhr or such, you'll probably add a €1000 to the quote. Roughly.

Aside : Can you sneak on a few more panels? 3Kwp is on the low side for your average house. 4Kwp is sort of the min I'd encourage people to get. Even more if they can. Nobody, and i mean NOBODY ever complains about too many panels - but I do appreciate that extra panels = more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Whats wrong with having hot water in the hot tap, on tap so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Let's be 100% clear - you do NOT need a Hybrid Inverter to support a battery. In fact, I believe that it is more advantageous to have a separate Storage Inverter (to operate like a Tesla Powerwall). A good option is the Sofar ME3000.

So @Treppen could get a SaaS system for €3600, and then add a Storage Inverter and batteries later - which can also be installed in a totally separate location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah its a good option that......but do we really want to recommend that as a default option for someone starting out? (A lot of) people have a hard time understanding the ins/outs of what's in a solar installation. 95% of people just want a simple fire-and-forget solution. Separate storage solutions are typically not "off-the-shelf" from suppliers and would have to be either installed by themselves or harder sourcing applied. Am I'm wrong? Do suppliers install them?

Aside: I'm probably going separate storage myself within the next 12 months - so I've no aversion to the tech, only what to recommend to people. If they have the skills, sure.....but like DIY batteries, unless people have an interest and knowledge, they might find it a more difficult route, no?

(As text is "non-tonal", I don't say this in a disparaging way)

As we know, the ME3000 works perfectly well with Pylontechs. We know the Pylontechs are a decent solution since they are modular. I cannot see why installers would not be offering them.

I do think that it's more likely that people will only have heard of Tesla Powerwall a, and would get frightened off by their cost, and would not be aware that there is another similar alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thanks for all the replies, ya I'd like more panels but I've nowhere to put them... Maybe squeeze in another one to make 9!!!

I'll try and find out the battery type they they were offering but it was an extra grand so presume it's on a par with the one mentioned above.

Nothing wrong with hot water all day, I was just thinking that I'd rather divert that energy to be constantly going into house , rather than using it for occasional showers, plus I've electric shower so I'd have to ditch that , plus I'd be using the gas for heating too which heats the water anyway, plus I could use the immersion to heat water for the odd bath (but presume the draw from that would be nuts).

BTW the quote for my solar 😉requirements is from a recommendation here, they seem good but only get to talk to admin staff over the phone which is a bit annoying as I wind up with more questions than answers.

Energia night rate 6.94 inc vat

Just to let yous know 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Is that on night meter and will it carry to smart metering ?

Night meter is what I'm on..not sure about smart meter sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Smart meters are not enabled for Night rate at the moment.

My Energia EV plan night rate is 5.9c/ unit. (Incl.vat)

Daft question but can you get the EV plan without having a EV.

Yes you can 👍👍no proof required

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've got a quote for materials only

Double row system

6.2 kw of Longi panels

5kw plyontech battery

6kw solis hybred inverter

8229 Inc VAT

+ Installation and sign-off less grant it should come in at 7k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

I had my survey today for my quote and was told by the owner of the company that the rate to be paid for selling to the grid will be around 12-13c and the €3000 grant is being reduced to €2400. He was fairly sure of that as he said he got an email but didn't say from where, I hope he's right about the price going to be paid but stand ready to be put in my place here! 😂

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

And I have an email but I can't say from where that says you will get 1c a kwh... see how that works??

The amount we will be paid will be set by the individual retail companies as far as I understand. And there's no way on gods green earth we will get more than the wholesale price or even close to it. Smart money says 5-6c a kwh at best.

Be wary that you are being told a line to get you sign on the line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Nothing to do with signing on the line, I am happy with my quote for what I got. Hence when I said I am ready to be put in my place. Just passing on the information one of the top recommended suppliers on here gave me.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I think im having a brain fart day, is that 7k supply and fit? Or €15229 supply and fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

7k supply and fit. 8229 for materials and about 1800 for fitting less the grant leaves 7k ish

Just to be aware, in case you are getting a mate to do the job, while a regular sparks can be nominated on the NC6 form, they must be on the SEAI panel to claim the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 21 NOTSLIM

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your thoughts/insights on what specification of PV Solar system I should consider based on the following data:

Information:

·        Have a Day/night rate tariff.

·        14.5 kW heat pump

·        Have solar thermal which provides all our hot water from March to October

·        EV ordered and due in April – (current daily driving distance between 120 and 180km/day all year – school runs and kids sports taxi service. Car at home from 10am to 3pm most days

·        Both working from home and that is not going to change.

·        2020 – Consumed 19829 kWh – split circa 65% Day / 35% Night  

·        2021 Consumed 15882 kWh – split circa 60% day / 40% night

I have 2 south facing roofs that can accommodate about 22 or so panels in total and 2 east facing roofs that can accommodate 14 and 6 panels respectively.

Unable to do a DIY install except maybe an additional battery and have a finite budget but “Go big or go home” is what I want to achieve.

If this was your situation what would you look for in your specification for a quote after the following:

1.      6kW Inverter

2.      No eddi Diverter

3.      EV charger

4.      5KWh or 10KWh battery storage?

5.      What size of array I am thinking 7/7.5– would you face them all south or look at a combo of south facing and east facing strings?

6.      Anything else to consider

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

My eyes have been opened on the energy needs of heat pumps in this thread alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah - but bear in mind they have no oil bills! I'm still trying to work it out myself. I put in about 1500ltrs of oil a year for a 3500sqft house, I'm trying to work out if I put in air source will my bills still be the same etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement