Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am not sneering and I am not belittling the intelligence of anyone.

The AV system is an abomination of a system designed to fail, and deliberately designed to be rejected by the referendum. Why stop at a second choice? It makes a lot more sense to allow the voter to make their choices right down the ballot. It is the way it is counted that is the complicated bit. With a single seat vote, of course, the counting is much easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It wasn't designed to be rejected. It was ultimately rejected for various reasons. The public didn't care, every other party but the Pirate Party came out against it, the media were able to spin it in any and every which way and it was all they could get. The Lib Dems had one choice and that was to govern with the Tories. Labour had just presided over the expenses scandal and the 2008 crash. The myth that they overspent has only just now dissipated.

This country has an ancient parliamentary system with customs which often seem ridiculous like Acts of Parliament being written on vellum or the Parliamentary Mace which symbolises the attendance of the Monarch in the House of Commons. The point is that fundamental change will only come after years of work campaigning, fundraising and applying political pressure on MP's. Both parties have a colossal incentive to keep FPTP. It is not going anywhere. It was designed for the two-party system this country until recently had. It needs to change for moral reasons if nothing else but it won't any time soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Do you think the system is incapable of reforming itself? Is there any situation that would bring the two major parties to consider a reform that would reduce their power? It doesn't seem likely, and I don't see all that many people inside the UK lamenting the decision to stick to FPTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm a massive fan of PR-STV but categorising it as simple is not accurate. The majority of people in this country do not fully understand it. Every single election I hear the same things from friends and family and in media spots:

• Oh yes, I like the two candidates from party Y - I'll be giving them both votes (This is not how it works - you don't have multiple votes. You have a single vote, that can potentially transfer to other candidates, under certain circumstances depending on the preferences that you dictated)
    • Do I have to vote all the way down - I don't recognise a lot of those candidates?
    • I really don't like candidate X - how do I make sure I don't vote for them by accident?

And that's before you even get to the counting where the confusion really ramps up: quotas, tallies, transfers, surpluses etc etc

The right-wing media were able to easily portray AV (a relatively simple voting system) as too complicated back in 2011. God only knows what they'd say about PR-STV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, it's certainly capable. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have gotten the Freedom of Information Act for instance. The issue is that because both governing parties are so invested in FPTP, people actually need to be pressuring their MP to reform it. It's not unthinkable that it might happen someday but for now it seems unlikely. I don't think even Jeremy Corbyn was campaigning for PR. If someone like him won't do it (assuming that was the case), I don't see what hope there is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The slogan 'one person, one vote' was a key factor in 2011. Obviously we can happily argue all day that ticking more than one selection in order of preference doesn't suddenly nullify the concept of 'one person, one vote', but the FPP campaign successfully got the idea out there that ticking just one box was the 'British way'. There was also an anti-ARV campaign on costs. Why spend £250M on ARV when we could spend it on the NHS instead (you may recognize that one as being recycled a few years later!).

Can see an example of both these if you google search images for 'one person, one vote, 2011 referendum' - I'm not sure how to post images these days.

I've said before that the LibDems missed a trick. This didn't have to go to a referendum, there is no constitution that needed changing so the Libs should just have made it a plank of government that it would be voted through parliament in the first few weeks. Otherwise, no deal. Obviously future parliaments could undo it, but those parliaments would have had many MPs elected via ARV who would be wary of undoing it. So it just might have stuck and become the accepted system. Missed opportunity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not understand how anyone can be confused by STV. The clue is in the name. Single (one vote) transferable (it works its way down your choice) vote.

The explanation is simple. The candidate you vote for as No. 1 gets your vote. And in general, that is where it stays, until the candidate is eliminated.

If it turns out that it is not needed, either because there is a surplus or that candidate is eliminated (at any stage), your vote moves down your choices, until all seats are filled. Now, in the counting, in a case of a surplus, which particular votes travel is a matter for academic study - but they are normally taken from the top. Given the votes are thoroughly mixed, they are randomised, so I suppose it does not matter.

Of course there are voters that do not understand the way it works, but most do. Anecdotes prove nothing.

Well in that case - your first-hand comprehension and experience of the voting system is an anecdote - which by your own logic proves nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think all the discussion of the theory of what STV is or isn't ignores the reality that for a country steeped in intense traditionalism, broaching a change in its electoral system immediately bumps against that sense of "well if it worked for hundreds of years, why change now?" Obviously, that logic falls apart upon scrutiny but we should know by now emotion, especially that which is weaponised, is indestructible. Maybe we also forget our own nation is barely 100 years old and is somewhat built for change; the UK, as with the USA, has mythologised its own institutional existence. It has withstood the test of time, and other trite waxing lyrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Point 1 is just a way of speaking and if you are asking point 3 you should be deemed too thick to vote.

I do hear point 2 a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but it's simple enough from the voter's end, which is what matters for democracy. Even if they think of it in terms of "I'll give my first vote to Martin, my second to McGrath, my third to Coveney," that's close enough to what is actually happening to render their participation in the process meaningful.

The stuff about quotas, surpluses etc., that's just about converting the cumulative vote in each constituency into as accurately as possible a proportional distribution of seats. I don't think it matters that the individual voter mightn't have much grasp of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭Patser

Well it's Sue Gray Day, Part 1.

Johnson has been handed an 'Update' on her report, as full report cannot be published due to Police request. He's now reading it to figure out how to spin it, and will make statement at 15:30.

But sounds like all the actual juicy bits are gone - the actual events that happened removed, and instead a gist of what was the prevailing attitude in Downing St.

Tricky one for the opposition: they can't in fairness blame Johnson and the government for this

all the actual juicy bits are gone - the actual events that happened removed, and instead a gist of what was the prevailing attitude in Downing St.

But do they go in guns blazing against Sue Gray or the Met or both?

Pile on the pressure on Johnson for what is revealed, but keep the sniping rolling for next few weeks waiting for full report. It's probably a goldmine for the opposition, some more red meat today to get stuck into, a public that's deeply distrustful of how all this is being handled, and an issue not put to bed at all but with more to follow.

Add to that that Johnson is expected to throw some staff under the bus today, to save himself. I wonder what goodies they might 'leak' over next week in retaliation. Everyone is waiting for the photos of Johnson at a party, locked and clearly partying away, that'll be the ultimate smoking gun.

Looks like the opposition are backing down from pressing for immediate publication of the full report, probably because that would move the focus onto the Met/Sue Gray rather than the government.

Ed Davey, the Lib Dem leader, says Downing Street’s failure to commit to publishing the full Sue Gray report once the police inquiry is over (see 12.38pm and 12.58pm) is “disgraceful”

Grays limited report has already leaked, and while not able to talk of particular parties, it's incredibly scathing - quotes like 'excessive alcohol consumption', 'difficult to justify events' and failure of leadership, that'll resonate with the public.

In questioning Johnson later, the opposition should just focus on getting him to say was he there - if he denies, then he's on record on parliament and any further revelations, either by Police, full Gray report or a leak sinks him. If he evades, he looks shifty, especially if he starts down the police investigation line (So you're under investigation Mr Prime Minister?). If he admits, then he's already lied to Parliament, unless he pathetically says that the excessive alcohol consumption was at a work event

Also confirmation that a party in the Johnson's flat on November 13th has been sent forward to the Police for investigation.

Hard to blame that on staff

Edit:

Coincidentally Johnson suddenly has to be in Ukraine tomorrow

https://twitter.com/DavidTWilcock/status/1488124923415568385?s=20&t=JMmVFlWWbuFRnu4--uPNug

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Johnson is now speaking in the house saying he accepts the report in full.

He's going to try and obfuscate here isn't he that it's the full report.

Also throwing civil servants under the bus.

He is to create an office of the prime minister, which will clearly have less people involved in it than the cabinet office which will mean there are less people to leak when they misbehave, more accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

A stunning taking apart of Boris Johnson by Keir Starmer..............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Starmer was masterful. Put the onus on the Tory MP's to do the right thing. Boris tried getting back at him and flailed and was laughable.

• Advertisement

Just seen Boris Johnson basically call Kier Starmer a paedophile enabler and seen Blackford get kicked out for telling it how it is.

How far can it sink?

Teresa May dissed Johnson too. Corbyn needs to learn how to wear a facemask - his beak was exposed, at least, I think it was Corbyn sitting behind a hairless Scotsman who got up to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

An appalling display in the Mother of Parliaments - Johnson is demeaning the office of PM.........at least Theresa May has dignity.......he just won't go....

D

Hmm...Bojo needs to get real about bringing the West together. His country has long since been a bit player.

He can accuse the Labour front bench of excessive drug taking...

It's all desperate dead cat stuff - instead of getting people to focus on Johnson's failures and poor apology, now Jimmy Saville is trending on twitter, and Labour drug taking, as people Google what the hell is he talking about. The fact the Speaker is letting this slide is amazing.

Serious "Al Bundy: 'Did you know I once got 4 touchdowns in 1 game?' " energy off of Boris Johnson every time he brings up the UK vaccine rollout at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,843 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I’ve watched the Teresa may comments and Jesus she wasn’t letting up.

You could see the lawyer in Keir Starmer during his remarks and the Tory front bench don’t seem as bullish as they normally are either during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

There’s little in the report to force a quick resignation of push enough MPs to submit letters.

The police enquiry gives another excuse to delay any action, and the results of that won’t be made public anyway.

= Johnson survives until the next scandal.

Police have now confirmed that the investigation will take at most, a year.

There's no need for it to take anywhere near that long, it just stinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was a brilliantly worded and delivered speech. There must be a lot of temptation to be animated and shouty in such circumstances but his measured delivery was pitch perfect. A character assassination along with an appeal to the conservative party to do the right thing and call time on this moral vacuum.

Advertisement