Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

There are only a few locations with static/average speed cameras in the country.

The vast majority of speeding is detected via uniform Gardai or speed vans

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Thanks ! I heard those are mostly in the cities, right ?

are there any static cameras on the motorways ?

There is an average speed camera in testing on the M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill, don't know of others

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just stick to the speed limit and you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

GoSafe vans will be at designated locations https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/safety-camera-locations/ Garda speedchecks can be anywhere, motorways, national roads, regional roads, in urban areas using a range of speed cameras - tripod mounted, hand held or in vehicle (marked and unmarked) with speed detection and ANPR. They can anywhere they have a view of a road. Modern speed detection technology can measure a car's speed at over 1000m if it has a clear line of sight.

• Advertisement

The Port Tunnel is the only other one. It's active

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The tunnel in cork has had anpr for years, keeps a record of everything that passed thru. Also measures the speed of every car, bit it's not used for issueing tickets.

Yeah, I don't travel the port tunnel or jack lynch in Cork much so not aware of how their cameras work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Got pulled over by a Garda this morning who i think was up the otherside of slip road so only visible from behind, for speeding.

Me rare speeding - heavy footed when overtaking a car who was being a dick before i overtook them and they proceeded to speed up during - was clocked 20km over 120km on dual carriageway, fair enough, but me being me have been panicking myself since in fear - Garda said getting fixed charge and penalty points, at what speed could they have considered dangerous driving? 1st offence speeding just a bit panicked and worrying myself. Also was considering doing further categories for towing a caravan, can I still consider it or would the points prevent me from doing so?

• Advertisement

As the Garda told you, you'll get a FCN for speeding and the 3 points on your license.

The requirements for dangerous driving vary in a case by case basis and take multple factors into consideration, there is no hard and fast rule but 20km over is not it.

It will have no effect on other license categories and assuming you don't have previous points already it likely won't even effect your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Thanks Killinator, it had me worried for sure. I was panicked enough to sit on Garda traffic twitter to see would my car be shamed 🤦‍♀️ and seen others in past similar speed be charged, but thankfully im not guesting their twitter timeline. Spoke to a family member about it too, they said not to worry and keep a look out in post. 10 yrs driving no points, so really hope wont effect me too much with insurance. Not necessarily the worst experience, dealing with Garda was a quick and polite affair, but it has given me a kick to be more careful.

Thanks again 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frannkie92

Does anyone know the penalty for driving past a speed van without their full headights on at night? Stupidly did this last night after having driven out of a multi-storey car park

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Eseentially I drove past a GoSafe van without my full headlights on at night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ehm...You will not be punished for that. I guess nearly every single person driving past them turns their headlights off when passing them

Apologies for the misunderstanding. I should have specified I was driving with my "sidelights" (is that the correct word) only. Stupidly, I had only these on when leaving the car park and forgot to switch to dipped headlight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You won't hear a thing unless you were (a bit) over the limit when you passed it. They don't record other offences.. just speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Hello,

Can a go safe speed van on the liffey valley exit side of the n4 catch any cars if they are on the opposite side of the n4 taking the m50 exit as it's 60 km on that side of the road or are there too many lanes including the concrete barrier in the middle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 MVR2021

Hi all, anyone know if Garda can use speed gun while sitting in the car? Or they have to be standing outside in order to use it? I went a little over a speed limit and passed a Garda car parked at the side of the road so now just curious if he was checking speeding or that me being paranoid. I think I’ve seen him moving his hand down while my car passed guards car but it was dark so I could be wrong or paranoid once again 🙈

They can check from inside the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robzer

How long does it usually take to get the ticket in the post?

Thought I might have been caught between Waterford and Tramore 3 weeks ago but nothing yet

Suspense is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My observation (I live about 5 minutes from 2 regular spots on the motorway) is that regardless of their new tech, they will still chase down anyone they're interested in for speeding.

If they don't come after you, I figure that you weren't over by enough to make the effort worthwhile, or they're in that spot as a deterrent (which does work as drivers will slow dramatically when they spot the car).

I was in Cork over the weekend and there was a very bored looking Garda sitting in an unmarked i40 estate between the lanes at the junction of the N28 to N40 (apparently a regular thing I'm told), though he was parked with the rear of the car facing the oncoming traffic. Maybe using ANPR? (assuming it can read cars behind?) But again anywhere else I've seen them they will pull cars in.

Just my observation and I stand to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

My two brothers and I own a limited company. It turns over a 6 figure sum per year. I’m absent from the country and only do the odd bit of work by proxy but I pump in an equal proportion of my salary but my two brothers take more money out as they do more work.

There are a few fleet vehicles registered to the company. Large vans that you’d need a C1 licence for (hence why we all did our C test).

Anyway. I’m rambling. A speeding ticket has been sent and it’s obviously one of the brothers and definitely not me driving as I’m living in Asia.

The two brothers drive it at any time and it could have been any of them. We keep a logbook of who is driving and when. A speeding ticket has been sent from a Gatso van for a time when no one was driving (they were out of the country) in a location where they usually would drive. 

The ticket is for Sunday night at 03:12 AM for doing 54 km/h in a 50 zone.

How can we find the culprit if the time stamp is wrong on the ticket and didn’t match our logbook?

The time clock in the gatso van was probably off but it caught one of them fair and square.

They want to know if there’s a way to find out who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Those cameras are linked to the VMS system and used to calculate the travel time messages on the screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Gardaí can form the opinion you were speeding and can even judge by eye. The speed gun (if one was being used) doesn’t even have to be calibrated. Shït, yes. But them’s the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Static average cameras on M7 and Port Tunnel. Are there any more anywhere else?

• Advertisement

No Garda with any sense will do you for speeding by eye, I wouldn't do it and have yet to meet a colleague stupid enough to do it. It's the reason most Gardai who stop you will show you the speed gun, it completely removes an avenue of defence for court.

If/when it goes to court you will be required to give evidence of speed which is not really possible to the degree necessary for conviction by estimation alone. Any decent solicitor or hell, even an incompetent solicitor would get you off and the Garda would/should get their hole opened by the judge for bringing such a case before them.

You could of course get done for inconsiderate driving(51A) or at a push, caresless driving (52) but that's a whole other thing.

There are static cameras as I've been informed here on the Port tunnell and new ones starting on the M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill

Advertisement