Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

I think most issues in this cycleway stems from the wording of the motion that was raised by the mayor and councillors supported.

The exec's plans meet the criteria of the motion. What they should have asked for was a cycleway from A to B with a list of requirements (maintain two-way traffic etc) if that's a requirement on them backing it further along the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Must be my memory deceiving me. Not inconceivable! Anyway, even if it was two way, it’s still difficult to see how you can compare Blackrock village to Salthill prom

You’d want a high level of confidence to cycle on stretches of that road. I really think the the cycle lanes should have been added on stretches like this first before even considering the most iconic stretch of road in Galway

I meant are you living in South Dublin near the coastal mobility route.

What has the coastal mobility route made a huge difference to.

It has caused a lot of traffic congestion on surrounding roads and its pretty empty most of the day.

I mean its mostly men who cycle and they are at work during the week,the children are in school so really who is going to be cycling on a windy and freezing seafront.

As I said the traffic through Monkstown village is just awful,just log jammed all day long.It was completely snarled up recently, a bus and a truck trying to pass each other,I got off the bike and walked, not sure how things resolved themselves.

The other issue is how desolate the seafront is in the evening at Seapoint, I used to like walking there at night but its empty now. People used to park their cars and walk to the beach from Seapoint Avenue but its deserted once it gets dark.

Trying to get into the cycle lane coming from Dunlaoghaire is difficult too, you have to cycle on the right of moving cars and then cross the road into the cycle lane,as I said I much prefer to cycle with the traffic and this isnt possible now as what space is left for cars is barely the width of a car.

So people of Galway be very careful of changes proposed,really think it through because once the change is implemented, "trialled" you will have to live with it and the cycling lobby will belittle your concerns,they have got what they wanted and they couldnt care less how it impacts anyone but themselves.

“they couldn’t care less how it impacts anyone but themselves”

Unfortunately that’s already proven to be the case in Galway. They closed off access (except for bikes) to a local school and gloat online about it as if it’s a success. Their boast is that up to 60 bikes sometimes cycle to the school out of a school of approximately 600 pupils. This is touted as a great success as it’s an increase of 100% or some such crap. They couldn’t care less about the other 90% of pupils who don’t or can’t cycle. And realistically, you’ll usually see about 20 to 30 bikes outside the school on most days.

These are mostly the same people pushing to ruin the Prom.

Post edited by ?Cee?view on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

This is the bit I agree with you...

I started this whole thing by asking was this for Traffic Congestion or Leisure... I got the 'both' answer...

It doesn't really stack...

If it is for traffic there are better places like Dr Mannix road and a link to Millar lane...

If it is for leisure then I say the tradition of parking on the Prom and going for a walk has been well established (and extremely popular) and why does cycle lane get precedence over that?

I am not saying it should never happen, I actually prefer to increase the prom into the sea and give the extra space over to bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Which would mean Dr Mannix would be a runner linked to Millars lane... It would have cost more but it would link Barna Woods to the schools and town... It would have had a major cycle rout going through the heart of Salthill Residential linked to Knocknacarra...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The Jes primary? They didn't "close off access except for bikes". They stopped people driving their kids to the door of the school. There was 100's of cars descending on the place three times a day. It was chaos and heading towards disaster. Drivers were constantly frustrated and distracted. Now it's 100's of happy headed kids walking, cycling, scooting, whatever their way to the door.

This cycling paranoia and feeling victimized is utterly bizarre. Instead of faux concern for mommys darlings now having to walk a bit, did you ever worry about the kids that couldn't be driven to the door of the school and had to risk getting hit by cars every day walking to and from the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very little needs to be done with Dr Mannix in my opinion, its the linkage to get from Millars Lane onto Threadneedle Road that you mention here alright that is missing and is crucial. It is a major barrier - lots of examples of this all over the City - many estates especially those built last 30yrs or so just need minor changes to create a walking and cycling network within the local area's.

Can we tease this out a bit?

Dr Mannix Road is a 900m stretch that's disconnected from other cycleways. How does the full connection look?

A few questions to tease it out...

1. Are you still talking about a two-way segregated route? Or do you mean for two 1 way segregated routes? Or no segregation (painted line)?

Some of these depend on what you're thinking for #1...

2. How do you intend to connect to Millers Lane? Through Manor Drive? How do you bridge that gap along Kingston Rd to Threadneedle? Appears to be limited space for new lanes without making car traffic one-way.

3. How do cyclists go from Kingston to Threadneedle? (currently no right turn)

4. Do you expect an issue with residents on Dr Mannix Rd having an issue with on-street parking being removed outside their homes? They have off-street parking but on-street is also used. (btw I don't have an issue with this, it's a public road)

5. How do you connect through on the other end to the city? How do you facilitate cycle lanes on Devon Park? And on Lwr Salthill Road - do you remove/reduce on-street parking?

6. The big (and growing) population center of Knocknacarra is Cappagh, Ballymoneen and Clybaun roads. If someone is at Clybaun Road, how do they connect through to the city using this?

All the above can be solved, just wondering how far you've considered it, from the practicalities of linking it up.

Is definitely a great road for a cycleway but my initial thoughts are a secondary route to further link up schools and residential areas rather than a primary route.

Dr Mannix Road itself has 6 junctions within the 900m and loads of driveways that would cross the cycleway, it is a quieter road but difficult to get the same level of segregation as a coastal route.

• Advertisement

No, you dont live on the road bso you wont have an issue with removing parking.

Do you have on street parking outside your house.

A lot of on street parking has been removed where I live and this parking was used by low paid employees who serve me in local shops.

It was used by people commuting to town.

It was used by people with disabilities who could park right beside the park they wanted to enjoy..

It was used by parents with young children, again it provided accessibility to the park.

The space was taken to create a two way cycle lane that is not used so basically a third of a road was taken to be left lying empty.

The cyclists who want to cycle opposite the cycle lane with the traffic are now squashed up against a kerb with drivers blowing horns at them.

I posted this and I was rounded on and abused by the cycling lobby,they said it doesnt happen,it happens to me everytime I cycle on that road.

I have actually cycled less since the cycle lane went in, I cant be bothered with crossing back and forth out of two way cycle lanes or the alternative or having horns blown at me,its easier to just drive or walk.

"it was chaos and heading towards disaster" You're hilarious! Was it also the site of the rogue SUVs mowing down kids? The same cars are now just dropping their kids elsewhere.

"...mommys (sic) darlings now having to walk a bit" - what about the parents who have small children who can't yet walk; or the parents who have to get on to a job by a certain time and haven't the luxury of parking away from the school, walking the kids to school, getting back to their car, and trying to then get to work on time; or the parents who have to get to more than one school; or the parents who don't want their kids soaked if it's raining? You couldn't give a damn about them could you?

As for the "risk" of getting hit. How many were actually hit? Were any? Have a look at the accident report statistics for the area.

Surely a lane could go through the back of St. Enda's secondary or the Golf Club. Create a bike crossing (is there such a thing, and if not why not?), across Kingston Road to link with it. Seems like a logical and great idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The cycleway is being discussed on pat kenny in a few minutes

Yes, the whataboutism is the kids getting hit by cars. It wasn't happening.

The parents suffering from this are the reality. The examples I gave are all real. The bikists couldn't care less about them.

Approx 600 kids in the school. Less than 10% now cycle. This is touted as success by the biking lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat just said turning Salthill into a one-way carway will result in 50% retail business losses!

Are you honestly making the point that there wasn't enough children being hit by cars to warrant the school wanting a change? Is there a number you think is the appropriate amount? Because that's basically what you're saying here. Ironically that's exactly what caused Holland to prioritise alternatives to driving way back in the 70's but I'm sure they had people moaning about things not being too bad then too.

There's a wonderful invention called a buggy for kids that can't yet walk (it's like a small car but without the engine). If it's an older kid with a disability then they can be driven. If they don't have time to get their kids to school on time then they're not leaving the house on time. It's a tough slog but the rest of us manage it. And it's not the 5mins walking to the school that's your biggest delay. It's sitting in all the traffic with the other stressed out parents trying to drive their kids right to the school door. If it's raining put on the waterproofs. We live in a wet country and kids like to be outside. And spare me your faux outrage on behalf of the weak examples you've made up. I'm making a point about childrens safety and you're painting inconveniences as world ending issues and trying to paint yourself as hero of the downtrodden.

It's not a cycling initiative. It's a car free initiative.

You've a weird paranoia about cyclists. Might be time to talk to someone. Maybe also bring up these imaginary groups of suffering people you're seeing everywhere

Sit down, breathe, relax. It's ok. We can see bikes and fighting the good fight give your life meaning.

I've no paranoia about cyclists. I do have a healthy disrespect for cycling "advocates" and organisations in Galway, you know, the type of people who want to cycle everywhere and make up risks (rogue SUVs, car chaos etc.) where there's no evidence that any exists to justify actually causing chaos with their little crusades. And then dismiss everyone elses real concerns as imaginary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

"...mommys (sic) darlings now having to walk a bit" - what about the parents who have small children who can't yet walk; 

Pushchairs and prams have been around for a couple of centuries. Infant car seats that clip out of a base in the car and slot into a buggy frame in a matter of seconds have been around for a quarter century and are now the norm.

or the parents who have to get on to a job by a certain time and haven't the luxury of parking away from the school

Everyone needs to plan their journeys according to the actual conditions. You could easily flip that to say what about the parents who have to get to a job by a certain time but instead of hopping onto a bike and cycling the 20 minutes to their place of work, and seeing their kids hop on their own bikes and travelling the 10 minutes to school independently, they have to spend twice as long on their journey as it takes 40 minutes to first drop the kids off and then siti n traffic on their way to work. If a school street means a slightly longer journey time for some parents it can also mean a shorter journey time for many others, including those who drive. While those who still opt to drive may have to park a bit further away for younger kids, and walk them all the way to school, for kids who are a bit older the parents can drop them at the top of the street to walk the last stretch by themselves, saving the parents the time previously sent battling their way on the last few yards to the school gate.

A separate real life example: I drive my daughter to training every Saturday morning and collect her 90 minutes later. It takes me about 35 minutes each time for the round trip. In theory she could cycle there by herself in 20 minutes but experience has taught us it is unsafe for her to do so. Should not your concern about a few minutes possibly being added to the journey times of some parents not also apply to parents who find that they still have to chauffeur around teenagers who would be better off exercising their own independence if only they didn't have drivers actively endangering their lives on a daily basis?

or the parents who have to get to more than one school

Same applies as above. My own kids go to two separate schools. None are driven to the door. If I do have to or want to drive my kids to separate schools then I need to allow enough time for the journey, same as any journey.

or the parents who don't want their kids soaked if it's raining?

We live on the west coast of Ireland. Sometimes it rains. When it does we wear suitable coats. Were you really driven to the school door everyday when you were growing up? I certainly wasn't and it definitely wasn't the norm.

As for the "risk" of getting hit. How many were actually hit? Were any? Have a look at the accident report statistics for the area.

It's not about how many kids have been hit, although it happens more often than you might think. It's about how many kids are being driven, not because that is the parents' preference, but because all the other cars make parents afraid that their kids are at risk from drivers parking on pavements, reversing into/out of school gates, close passing etc. Once you significantly reduce that risk you give people back a choice on how they want to travel. Those who want to still drive can. I see this every day in my own local area. Families where the parents lived locally, and would always have walked to school, now feel they have to drive their own kids 500m to school. It's a straight line and would be 2 minute cycle or 6 minute walk, but the combination of drivers using part of the road as a rat run, and driver mayhem approaching the school gates, means those kids are given no choice but to be driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Where to start with this one, apart from the 1950's attitude "most men are at work during the day" as if women don't work outside the home - the whole point of this infrastructure is to encourage those who are reticent about starting cycling - women and children to take it up due to increased safety that a fully segregated route provides.

I don't live beside the CMR I live much closer to the City Centre on the South Side, but I have cycled it. So empty cars make an area livelier? Monkstown - the roads were narrowed to slow traffic down, to make it safer there is space for a lorry and bus to pass each other, that's just poor driving. Are you saying that Monkstown isn't a more pleasant place to be now with the additional public realm works? I would think most locals would disagree, and certainly the numbers of people I see sitting outside the cafés and restaurants and spending time there rather than driving through it would seem to support my view.

I see you've totally ignored the data I included earlier - you don't seem to like facts.

You're not exactly a good faith actor in this - you were thread banned from the South Dublin Infrastructure discussion - why are you now getting involved in Galway? Of course you're a regular cyclists and your profession in your name has nothing to do with your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Why are you talking about a choice between Dr Mannix and Salthill - why not both?

The width of Dr Mannix encourages speed, I haven't cycled it at rush-hour/school hours but whilst you might think nothing needs doing to it - do you not think that parents might feel their kids would be safer if it was properly segregated? Dr Mannix would probably be fine for me and other confident cyclists but we're not the target for these measures - it's parents feeling confident their kids will be safe using it to allow them to cycle to school on their own or with them - it's for people who aren't currently cycling because they had a scare years ago or people who've never cycled and are put off by all the stories (many from cycling advocates) stating how dangerous cycling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Could have walking and bike lane behind the wall at the Golf Course along Kingston Road as well; no houses homes to knock there! Many options if the will was there from our City Executive Overlords.

I've already given my views on cycling, walking, PT and driving in this thread but you're still imagining cycling boogey men because that's what fits your narrative. I'll try again. I've problems with the cycling groups in this city because I think PT and walking should be the main focus, despite the fact that I like cycling. If you talk to them they agree on the benefits of the above, but they become embattled in an us-vs-them mentality and focus solely on cycling infrastructure and I can see why. You have the walkers and cyclists looking for safety and then the likes of yourself worried about being inconvenienced. It's a similar story with PT and traffic improvements. Can't encourage alternatives to driving absolutely everywhere because some people are worried they might be inconvenienced.

And just to reiterate. It's a car free initiative, not some cycling conspiracy. The school and parents initiated it because of concerns "about the interactions between children and cars in front of the school", not because of some outside group. There's also a whole report on the trial if you want to give your imagination a rest and see why they decided to keep it running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone notice in uptick in volume of cars today? Is that due to workplaces returning after 22 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you see the video posted earlier in the thread showing the experiences of families cycling with young kids and impatient, dangerous drivers?

Remind us how much we spend on maintaining roads broken up by the ever-increasing tanks on the road? You can be sure this will be a drop in the ocean of total roads spending.

Just imagine - doing a trial, finding that it is a hugely successful route, attracting thousands to the area, as well as providing safe access for locals, and great business for local businesses, and then keeping it in place - crazy, huh?

I was bullied out of the southside cycling forum, people like you dont like others expressing a point of view so you silence us.

Ask the moderator for the answer to your question,😀👀👀

Doesnt work, I can post my views and experience in any forum I like the ones you havent managed to block me from(yet)

And the point about men working during the day is its this demograph who are engaging in social media campaigns, making a lot of noise to get their way and to hell with consequences for anyone else. They arent on the cycling lanes in scenic areas during the day, no one is so its a questionable use of scarce road.

Monkstown village is horrendous now, all the traffic that took the coastal route to Dunlaoghaire and Dalkey is now going through the village.Monstown locals are objecting to anymore restaurants and bars because they feel the village is now a becoming a honkey town Ibiza.

Am I am not a taxi driver, if I was I have as much right as you to post, deal with opposing opinions,this is a discussion forum not an online cycle lobby meet up.

The southside cycling infrastructure thread is an echo chamber of cycling lobbyists.

Is that what you want here, Is the moderator the same as the Southside one, will you be having a word, dont want taxis sort around here😀😀😀😀

Dirty Dubliner.😀😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

TP, I do love your little rants and attempts at revisionism. I missed them.😁 Welcome back from your holidays!😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement