Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2022 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Reigns and Heyman should have cost Lesnar in the rumble too

AJ, Orton, Riddle and KO as final 4 with AJ or KO winning

Beck's perm looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ajsmiles

Dip in and out of wwe over the last few year, subscribed to the network for this year's rumble. Its amazing that the same company is putting out the becky broken skull episode ,the brilliant lesner vs lashley hype video and give us the rubbish of the mens rumble. Desperately in need of some fresh blood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Imagine 6 years ago having Aj Style and Nakamura as the two opening entrants to the Rumble and not giving a toss.

Overall I kinda enjoyed the Rumble, could do without tag team entrants, as you know the other partner is gonna eventually come out.

I haven't watched WWE in a proper while, are they going back to 95? Madcap Moss and Boogz, looking like bad cartoon idiots....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Can't imagine what it must be like for the likes of cesaro and finn witnessing boogz and madcap moss getting decent air time in the rumble

Vince is getting worse every year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Reigns/Rollins was excellent but I think Rollins should've gone over, would've been a great moment and Reigns can take a loss at this stage. Reigns gradually descending into madness over not being able to beat Rollins would be interesting. I've got no interest in another Reigns Lesnar match. If it has to happen at least make it a triple threat involving Rollins.

Women's Rumble was fairly good, Ronda's return was a big surprise to me so I enjoyed that, although I thought her punches looked very weak. Maybe she's getting lessons from Shane McMahon.

Love Becky but didn't care about her match. Duodrop is awful and that must be one of the worst wrestler names in history.

Best part about Lesnar Lashley was the video package. Thought Lashley might've been injured with the way he was taking the Germans towards the end. The finish did nothing for either of them.

All I remember from the mixed tag was Maryse's outfit. 5 stars for that. On a side note has anyone ever cared about Beth Phoenix? To me she comes across very awkward or something.

The men's rumble was rubbish, probably the worst I've seen (watching since 99). Way too many tag team guys and jobbers. The entrance music sounds the same for 70% of the roster so I had no idea who was entering half the time until they showed the entrance ramp. As soon as Brock entered it was all over, and it had been dreadful up to that point anyway. Why did he need to win? Surely they could've had Brock win the chamber and challenge Reigns that way. Also why was Shane anywhere near the match, get him off my TV in 2022 please. And he got down to the final three! FFS.

Thought AJ's shots to Knoxville looked very stiff. Probably the best part of the whole match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Awful. 2nd biggest show of the year, screw job finishes galore, matches playing to silence and 2 Rumble devoid of tension, talking points, feud building, but worst of all, stars.

The Women's Rumble had 2 stars and 1 of those was eliminated in the first 10 minutes.

The Men's Rumble had 1 real star. The opening of the show tipped off the Brock entrance. Aside from Brock the next likely winner was who? Bad Bunny? The short closing stretch could not have had less heat. Easily one of the worst Rumbles ever, a sad inducement of modern day WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If this was a few years ago I would probably be moaning saying how WWE is a shell of its former self. But it is just the way it is. I have long accepted it as am sure many here have too.

The glory days of WWE - Be that the golden ages of the 80s or late 90s are long gone.

I can see I am a bit of an outlier in this case, but I actually really enjoyed it from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Some were in the rumble matches far too long, partially due to a feud. Like how many actually remember a Natalya/Summer Rae feud? Apparently it mostly happened on Total Divas. Not exactly Austin/Rock. Then other feuds that were pretty much ignored after a couple of minutes. Like Nikki/Rhea. And would Michelle McCool last that long if she wasn't married to Taker?

Fun return spots like Ivory and Mighty Molly are grand but ones like Michelle McCool and Kelly Kelly could be taken by Xia Li or women from NXT. Like Mandy is known on the main roster and represents NXT.

But although rumoured, at least they didn't announce Bad Bunny in advance, or did I miss the announcement? And not announcing a celebrity like that in advance and very unlike them these days.

• Advertisement

I would say they don't care. All about that money, money (yeah yeah)

But to be serious, I remember reading an interview with Big Boss Man around 1999 and when asked how he feels about wrestling after doing so for many years he replied with "It's just a job now" - Boss Man was wrestling 14 years at that point. I also remember reading an interview with Scott Hall around the same time and he said the same. He was only wrestling 15/16 years at that point too.

Finn and Cesaro have been wrestling just over 19 and 20 years respectively. Most of that time, like Hall and Boss Man, has been wrestling top level and several times a week. Mileage on the bump card. House bought and paid for. Several million in the bank and if WWE sacked them tomorrow they'd ink out a good deal with AEW and am sure Finn would wrestle in Japan the odd time for a nice pay cheque.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

See, there's a thought in my mind though, and I'm not sure how to articulate this brilliantly.

But I'm seeing two dominant view points being discussed online about the Rumble.

1. "WWE is too reliant on the older generation and refuse to build new stars
    2. "Why are WWE having the likes of Madcap Moss eliminate AJ Styles? Why are they filling the Rumble with these no name jobbers?"

Could it not be argued the point of having Moss eliminate someone like Styles is actually an attempt to rectify the first point? That, in order to build up new stars, you have to sacrifice your older stars to a certain extent?

Now, I'll stress, that's not saying WWE are doing a great job of capitalizing on these moments when they book them. Will they now proceed to book Styles vs Moss, with the intentions of building Moss up a bit? Will they follow up Austin Theory, or Montez Ford, or Sheamus' guy (whose name escapes me here) by booking them into strong positions on the card in the following weeks and months? Will they pick a few new guys and plot out progression for them over the coming months, with the idea of having stories that culmunate at a PPV with the young guy getting a big win that defines them as a new top guy? Likely not, sadly. You can't ever properly invest in anyone nowadays cause Vince never sticks with guys like this for longer than a few weeks. You back someone like Big E to get to the top, he gets there, and weeks latter, he's regressed back into New Day mode and all the time investing into him as the new top guy has been wasted....

But still...I feel there's some level of hypocrisy (with all due respect) when people say that WWE refuses to build new stars, but also get pissy when WWE has new guys beat older ones. (I am aware it's not nessecarily the same group of people arguing both cases here too). What does "building new stars" look like to people?

Was Finn and Cesaro declared for the RR and even on the poster?

I know they is talk on line of changes being made as late as during the show but a lot of what happened was spoilered in advance

Riddle, Sami or KO eliminating Lesnar would have been a good moment imho

It seems the main talking point on line is Sasha's outfit

My favourite moment was Beth power bombing Miz

Of course Sasha's outfit will get some discussion. Combination of WWE fans, Sasha fans and anime/Sailor Moon fans, what would you expect? 😀 When I saw her I was thinking "This is going to get a lot screencaps"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It was certainly the most noteworthy thing about her involvement, along with doing the splits with Melina. I doubt she was thrilled to be eliminated that early.

Personally I don't get the whole deal about Bank's costume. I didn't even know it was Sailor Moon to begin with!

Well... OK, it was stuck up her arse - for the lack of a better term (lol) which was nice. But nothing more than what she usually wears. If she went out with a big g string I would get the reaction lol.

The splits/bounce got people talking as well it seems. I'm sure she'll disappear again now and have another return.

I'd have liked to see Reggie do a few RR spots jumps

Forgot he wasn't even in it apart from helping Dana. I guess Kofi had that spot which was then messed up.

PWInsider reports that Riddle was the initial planned winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Riddle made sense for Lashley's opponent. Lesnar really didn't need it in order to go after Reigns.

Probably will still be Riddle for Lashley I imagine with Orton in his corner.

I'd say Riddle vs. Orton was WM plan with RKOBro breaking up, Riddle eliminating Orton etc.,

Reigns vs. Lesnar for WM been talked about for a while, Reigns out of Day1 with Covid19 must have set plans change of how it would evolve

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Riddle would've been great, crowd would've loved it too. Sigh.

That's strange. Usually they report before the event then use the "plans change" line after.

TBF Riddle is very over, so him winning to finish the show would have been good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

The fact that Riddle and Brock didn't really have a moment in the Rumble to me highlights how poorly planned the whole thing was.

Reckon we could get Riddle winning the Chamber then or getting a title feud at Mania all the same in that case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Riddle tossing Brock would have been a huge moment for Riddle and instantly made a star.

Plus tossing bro Orton teasing their feud

Apparently Shane O Mac had creative input in the RR also

Was there any star breakout stand out moment at the ppv? Who did most eliminations?

• Advertisement

Brock and AJ joint at 5 eliminations. AJ wins if you count his contribution to eliminating Omos.

Charlotte also had 5.

I'm just going by the details on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_(2022)

Advertisement